EarMen Sparrow
Nov 27, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #106 of 354
Thanks - this actually worked, but sound only coming out of the right ear when using balanced output...

Looking into updating firmware, but laptop not reading the Sparrow as an external source...

Grrrrrrrr...

Try rotating the plug in the jack to see if you get sound in the left channel. I have this issue with the Sparrow — the left channel of the balanced output works only for certain orientations of the plug.

Nov 27, 2020 at 8:35 AM Post #107 of 354
Try rotating the plug in the jack to see if you get sound in the left channel. I have this issue with the Sparrow — the left channel of the balanced output works only for certain orientations of the plug.
thanks for this, but no joy sadly..

Nov 27, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #109 of 354
Damn this sucks. I suppose you don't have a different balanced cable you can try?
lol no, and seeing as i got it specifically for the balanced slot I'm thinking I may have to try and process and return and think about the DF cobalt which is supposed to be a little stronger for the SE?

Nov 27, 2020 at 8:39 AM Post #110 of 354
lol no, and seeing as i got it specifically for the balanced slot I'm thinking I may have to try and process and return and think about the DF cobalt which is supposed to be a little stronger for the SE?
That's a shame. I'd try an exchange instead. Could just be a dud unit.

Nov 27, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #111 of 354
Swapped the earpieces and it started playing form the opposite side, with the right now not working 😭😤

Attached

It is the plug.
Because in Sparrow the jack if you take a closer look is somewhat inside and the aluminium case is a little protruding.
So the cable cannot plug as it should be.
Same happens with a lot of my jacks.

It is where design gets in front of functioning.
Unfortunately.

Nov 27, 2020 at 8:55 AM Post #112 of 354
It is the plug.
Because in Sparrow the jack if you take a closer look is somewhat inside and the aluminium case is a little protruding.
So the cable cannot plug as it should be.
Same happens with a lot of my jacks.

It is where design gets in front of functioning.
Unfortunately.
Thanks - makes sense...

Question is, is it worth looking for another balanced cable, or just switch to the SE? No guarantees with another balanced cable working either?

Nov 27, 2020 at 9:05 AM Post #113 of 354
No.
Single ended isn't as good as the balanced.
If you don't want to buy extra cable then return it back.
You don't need to buy new cable.
Just solder another plug.
Plug in order to be sure that it works it must be like that
IMG_20201127_160240.jpg

Nov 27, 2020 at 10:20 AM Post #114 of 354
Last edited:
Nov 27, 2020 at 10:31 AM Post #115 of 354
lol - soldering is not my strong point!!!!

Do you have a cable that you can recommend?

I could try out a cheap one i guess - something like the below:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Linsoul-Tr...1783&replacementKeywords=pin+iem+cable&sr=8-5
Yes that would work. You want a plug that has the plug sticking out a bit, I can recommend the cable from my BQEYZ Spring 1, which has the same type of design of the plug as the one you linked: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001450056294.html

Basically you must avoid the cables that have the plug flush against the housing, you want the plug to be sticking out so it is compatible with the Sparrow

Nov 27, 2020 at 10:42 AM Post #116 of 354
Yes that would work. You want a plug that has the plug sticking out a bit, I can recommend the cable from my BQEYZ Spring 1, which has the same type of design of the plug as the one you linked: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001450056294.html

Basically you must avoid the cables that have the plug flush against the housing, you want the plug to be sticking out so it is compatible with the Sparrow
They should put this crap on the box!!!!

Anyway, may look to get the Linsoul one, as it gets to me by Tuesday! Ali express normally take 3-4 weeks to UK!!

Wandering if its better to look for a more quality option though!??!

Nov 27, 2020 at 4:27 PM Post #117 of 354
They should put this *** on the box!!!!

Anyway, may look to get the Linsoul one, as it gets to me by Tuesday! Ali express normally take 3-4 weeks to UK!!

Wandering if its better to look for a more quality option though!??!
Start with the cheapie. If it works, you at least know your Sparrow is A-OK, and then you can do some reading and get a really good cable for your IEMs.

Nov 29, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #118 of 354
Hi,

Anyone here experiencing distortion and crackling sounds intermittently with the Balanced output? It only happens when in medium to loud volumes. And when the volume is high the track stops and loses digital connection.. This only happens with Balanced, the SE output is fine and has no issues.. I’m using the latest firmware from the Earmen site.. BTW, this is when using an old Iphone SE or an Ipad Mini 2.. Thank you..

Nov 30, 2020 at 1:36 AM Post #119 of 354
Hi,

Anyone here experiencing distortion and crackling sounds intermittently with the Balanced output? It only happens when in medium to loud volumes. And when the volume is high the track stops and loses digital connection.. This only happens with Balanced, the SE output is fine and has no issues.. I’m using the latest firmware from the Earmen site.. BTW, this is when using an old Iphone SE or an Ipad Mini 2.. Thank you..
There's a firmware fix for crackling sound. Search this thread.

Nov 30, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #120 of 354
There's a firmware fix for crackling sound. Search this thread.

Hi,

Thanks. I did re-flash twice using the FW found in Earmen’s site.. It helped with the crackling somewhat but did not eliminate the stopping in the middle of the track and the losing of volume.. Maybe with the latest IOS devices it would play nicer?.. No problems with the laptop playing local files or streaming though..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back