EarMen Sparrow
Nov 19, 2020 at 2:13 PM Post #76 of 354
My newly ordered Sparrow is on its way. If it will fulfill what reviewers are saying, then I'll put my Dragonfly Cobalt and Ifi Hip dacs for sale.

Just waitng for pure silver balabced cables for my Beyerdynamic T5p. Also to be connected are my balanced Fiio FH7 and Shure SE846.

Sparrow to be fed by Audirvana (PC) and UAPP bit perfect (phone) streaming Tidal HiFi.

Thanks for all the above posts.

Nov 19, 2020 at 3:40 PM Post #77 of 354
I appreciate all the impressions provided in this thread. Though I don't currently have need for such a device, I expect I will when I finally upgrade my laptop (2014 Macbook Pro) perhaps in 12 months when Apple's transition to their own processors has settled a bit, because I will also opt for a much larger internal SSD, thus having my music with me in a form other than through use with a DAP.

IF I were buying now, it would definitely be a race between the Sparrow and Lotoo S1. I've used Lotoo DAPs in the past, so have a pre-existing bias in their favor. I don't strictly "need" the extra driving power the Sparrow provides in comparison, but admit it'd be nice to have the extra headroom in case I make a future headphone purchase. Subscribed to thread to keep abreast of any product development.

Nov 21, 2020 at 6:20 AM Post #78 of 354
I guess it might not be a fair comparison, but still, can someone post an SQ impression about the Sparrow balanced vs. Chord Mojo using good overheads?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #79 of 354
My newly ordered Sparrow is on its way. If it will fulfill what reviewers are saying, then I'll put my Dragonfly Cobalt and Ifi Hip dacs for sale.

Just waitng for pure silver balabced cables for my Beyerdynamic T5p. Also to be connected are my balanced Fiio FH7 and Shure SE846.

Sparrow to be fed by Audirvana (PC) and UAPP bit perfect (phone) streaming Tidal HiFi.

Thanks for all the above posts.
Could you please post your comparison between cobalt and sparrow when sparrow arrives ? I have dragonfly red and considering buying sparrow too. Also , is there any sound difference with aftermarket cables ? I want to go balanced when sparrow arrives so new cable is a must . I´m currently looking at arcticcables and their ion series but its copper version. I wonder if silver brings something extra sonically.

Nov 22, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #80 of 354
Got it right now.

Very preliminary impression.

Balanced sounds amazing compared to SE, with my FH7.

Earman's SE sounds very (very) close to the Dragonfly Cobalt.

Sounds great with Beyerdynamic T5p (SE). Will check balanced when my silver cable arrives. But what I did witness with my FH7, it surely will sound much better with the T5p balanced.

Surprisingly, the Mojo (SE) sounds very close, although it introduces more dynamics.

Didn't check the iFi Hip dac yet.

I only played very short samples from Tidal MQA bit-perfect "Zerospace by Kidney Thieves".

Please note, this is a very preliminary impression and I am not a professional audiophile, but still the Sparrow sounds very good.

Balanced connection improves Bass kick, voices, stage. I think it brings slightly small sibilance, but I have to check.

Edit: with the FiiO FH7 balanced, its a match made in heaven.

Edit: correction to above regarding the Mojo which introduces much better lower bass and bass impact than the Earman SE.

Attachments

• 20201122_134653.jpg
    20201122_134653.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #81 of 354
Impressive little unit. Received mine today from Moon Audio.

Indeed, a big difference between 3.5mm and 2.5mm outputs. However, word of caution with 2.5mm connectors is that the Sparrow only plays nice with recessed necks like the Furutech 2.5mm and the likes. The non-recessed neck on my cable with a fat 2.5mm Eidolic yields sound only in the right channel. Just a FYI if you're using a non-recessed 2.5mm balanced connection as the 2.5mm female connection on the Sparrow is also a little recessed; thus preventing non-recessed male 2.5mm connectors to fully seat in and allow left channel sound.

Perhaps this may be exclusive to my unit.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2020 at 7:10 PM Post #83 of 354
Also thinking of picking one these up.

Recently sold my SE200 because I didn't have the time to listen, so looking for a more portable solution to pair with my U12t's

I guess, right now the attraction is balanced output (which I use EA Eros II), but curious to know more about the comparison between the DF Cobalt.

Also, how does it sound paired to a laptop via USB-C?

Nov 25, 2020 at 7:11 PM Post #84 of 354
Got it right now.

Very preliminary impression.

Balanced sounds amazing compared to SE, with my FH7.

Earman's SE sounds very (very) close to the Dragonfly Cobalt.

Sounds great with Beyerdynamic T5p (SE). Will check balanced when my silver cable arrives. But what I did witness with my FH7, it surely will sound much better with the T5p balanced.

Surprisingly, the Mojo (SE) sounds very close, although it introduces more dynamics.

Didn't check the iFi Hip dac yet.

I only played very short samples from Tidal MQA bit-perfect "Zerospace by Kidney Thieves".

Please note, this is a very preliminary impression and I am not a professional audiophile, but still the Sparrow sounds very good.

Balanced connection improves Bass kick, voices, stage. I think it brings slightly small sibilance, but I have to check.

Edit: with the FiiO FH7 balanced, its a match made in heaven.

Edit: correction to above regarding the Mojo which introduces much better lower bass and bass impact than the Earman SE.
Would love to get your impression and full comparison between the cobalt/hip DAC/SE?

Nov 25, 2020 at 9:22 PM Post #85 of 354
Also, how does it sound paired to a laptop via USB-C?
I use the Sparrow as my main source for higher sensitivity headphones, and as my main source for IEMs. I have it connected to my MacBook Pro, but not with USB-C, the standard USB-A. It can drive all my headphones except planars.

I have to say that I haven't experienced a single issue, no noise or weird signal interference, even when my phone (Samsung Galaxy S8) is right next to the Sparrow.

Performs just like any other EarMen product, absolutely great. I love EarMen because of their more analytical "sound signature", their products don't have a warm characteristics, and I much prefer it like this, it leans more towards "neutral". I also have to say that the included cables are of very nice quality (you get two cables: USB-C to USB-C, and USB-A to USB-C).

I have been using the Sparrow with iBasso SR2 (higher sensitivity headphone) for at least 3 months now. Around 3h-4h of music listening daily, not a single issue, just music enjoyment.

Nov 26, 2020 at 6:56 AM Post #86 of 354
I use the Sparrow as my main source for higher sensitivity headphones, and as my main source for IEMs. I have it connected to my MacBook Pro, but not with USB-C, the standard USB-A. It can drive all my headphones except planars.

I have to say that I haven't experienced a single issue, no noise or weird signal interference, even when my phone (Samsung Galaxy S8) is right next to the Sparrow.
seems like the amount of intererence noises vary between units. My Sparrow produces EMI almost every few seconds of playback.

I've contacted Earmen and will be sending my unit back to them for inspection. Hopefully they can fix it.

Nov 26, 2020 at 7:21 AM Post #87 of 354
Would love to get your impression and full comparison between the cobalt/hip DAC/SE?

Short comparison session listening to Paper Trails by Darkside Psychic (bassy track) - Tidal hifi bit-perfect via UAPP on S10 listening via Fiio FH7.

Earman Sparrow balanced vs. iFi Hip Dac balanced via the Pentaconn connector:​
iFi brings more dynamics, lows a little bit congested. Sparrow airy with a nicer controlled bass punch.​
Mids and Highs are a tad spacious on the Earman​
Earman Sparrow balanced vs. Dragonfly Cobalt SE:​
Very similar bass punch and control.​
A tad better Mids and Highs stage and airiness on the Sparrow.​
note: I had time to check only few tracks.​
Comparing the Cobalt and the iFi Hip, personally, I would have chosen the Dragonfly. Nevertheless, the difference is not big and there are lots of reviews favoring the iFi Hip for its higher Cost to SQ ratio.​

Considering my short experience, both my iFi Hip and Dragonfly Cobalt are going to be sold.

Most of my heavy listening is via the Chord Mojo and Beyerdynamic T5p. The Mojo surpassed the Sparrow by almost all categories perceived by me.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #88 of 354
Short comparison session listening to Paper Trails by Darkside Psychic (bassy track) - Tidal hifi bit-perfect via UAPP on S10 listening via Fiio FH7.

Earman Sparrow balanced vs. iFi Hip Dac balanced via the Pentaconn connector:​
iFi brings more dynamics, lows a little bit congested. Sparrow airy with a nicer controlled bass punch.​
Mids and Highs are a tad spacious on the Earman​
Earman Sparrow balanced vs. Dragonfly Cobalt SE:​
Very similar bass punch and control.​
Close Mids and Highs stage and airiness (had time to check only few tracks)​
Comparing the Cobalt and the iFi Hip, I would have chosen the Dragonfly. Nevertheless, the difference is not big and there are lots of reviews favoring the iFi Hip for its higher Cost to SQ ratio.

Considering my short experience, both my iFi Hip and Dragonfly Cobalt are going to be sold.

Most of my heavy listening is via the Chord Mojo and Beyerdynamics T5p. The Mojo surpassed the Sparrow by almost all categories perceived by me.

Thanks - really useful.

I also considered the Chord Mojo, but its the easy portability factor that attracts me to the Sparrow and Cobalt.

Ended up ordering the Sparrow. Will pair it with my OnePlus pro 8 and U12t's.

Will leave my thoughts if anyone wants me to?

Nov 26, 2020 at 8:05 AM Post #89 of 354
Thanks - really useful.

I also considered the Chord Mojo, but its the easy portability factor that attracts me to the Sparrow and Cobalt.

Ended up ordering the Sparrow. Will pair it with my OnePlus pro 8 and U12t's.

Will leave my thoughts if anyone wants me to?
Please do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back