EarMen Colibri
Apr 22, 2022 at 8:10 AM Post #91 of 168
Thanks for sharing the review. I see you have the Colibri next to the TR-Amp.

How big of a difference is there in the sound between the two? I could see the convenience of a smaller DAC/Amp for traveling and let the TR-Amp stay home.

How long is the battery time in the Colibri before it needs charging again?
I'd say if you're only using IEMs or efficient headphones, the Colibri sounds every bit as good as the TR-Amp. You can get about 5 hours from the battery which is a bit low but Colibri sure is a lot easier to carry around!

Apr 28, 2022 at 2:34 AM Post #92 of 168
In today's article we review the Colibri. Find out how the EarMen Colibri performs, compares and why we're giving it our Recommended Buy Award, now on Headfonia!

https://www.headfonia.com/earmen-colibri-review/

EarMen Colibri Rec (15).jpg

May 8, 2022 at 2:12 PM Post #93 of 168
Jun 4, 2022 at 2:44 AM Post #94 of 168
Just had one of these babies delivered:
DD6523D0-632B-4C53-A85C-95BC5141EE77.jpeg

Doesn’t seem to be much talk of them going on here. Maybe the cost put people off (but that doesn’t seem the case with the recently announced iFi dongle), or maybe the idea of a battery powered dongle?

Either way, to me it sounds pretty sweet so far. I’ll need to burn it in and put it through it’s paces more. At hand for comparisons I have a Violectric Chronos, Questyle M12 (M15 should arrive soon), and Mojo1 and 2.

Jun 4, 2022 at 3:15 AM Post #95 of 168
Just had one of these babies delivered:

Doesn’t seem to be much talk of them going on here. Maybe the cost put people off (but that doesn’t seem the case with the recently announced iFi dongle), or maybe the idea of a battery powered dongle?

Either way, to me it sounds pretty sweet so far. I’ll need to burn it in and put it through it’s paces more. At hand for comparisons I have a Violectric Chronos, Questyle M12 (M15 should arrive soon), and Mojo1 and 2.
I am looking forward to read your comparisons. I just bought the RU6 and it made me realize how good Apple’s own dongle is so I returned it. Or maybe it was the pairing with my Grados and Ety’s that was not that good?

Jun 4, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #96 of 168
I am looking forward to read your comparisons. I just bought the RU6 and it made me realize how good Apple’s own dongle is so I returned it. Or maybe it was the pairing with my Grados and Ety’s that was not that good?
Don’t like it? Im planning to buy the RU6(waiting for a new delivery/out of stock)
We own much of the same gear,so if you don’t like it. It can be the same with me 😜

Jun 5, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #97 of 168
Don’t like it? Im planning to buy the RU6(waiting for a new delivery/out of stock)
We own much of the same gear,so if you don’t like it. It can be the same with me 😜
It was not impressive to me to be honest. No way near the joy of the TR-Amp. Very little improvement over the Apple lightning to minijack cable when using my grados and etys. It might be a matter of pairing or that I do not use the balanced option? But I am going to return it.

Jun 5, 2022 at 11:50 AM Post #98 of 168
It was not impressive to me to be honest. No way near the joy of the TR-Amp. Very little improvement over the Apple lightning to minijack cable when using my grados and etys. It might be a matter of pairing or that I do not use the balanced option? But I am going to return it.
Mmm.. you make me doubt.
Plan was to buy a dac/hp dongle without battery.
I decided me for the RU6 over the ifi go bar.
But now.. not sure 🙃

Maybe I should go for an earmen with battery

Jun 8, 2022 at 3:20 PM Post #99 of 168
Mmm.. you make me doubt.
Plan was to buy a dac/hp dongle without battery.
I decided me for the RU6 over the ifi go bar.
But now.. not sure 🙃

Maybe I should go for an earmen with battery
Goodevening... I just wanted to add something about the RU6 that I commented on earlier in this thread.

I have spent some more time with the RU6. When I listen with my Grados I still do not feel the right synergy. The RU6 sounds great, detailed and has a nice analog punch to it. But the Apple dongle not far behind and it really takes some effort to find the differences. Apple dongle is still OK with me for portable use. Also with my Etymotic EVO, I can live with the Apple dongle.

But when I use my Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro there is a huge difference between the Apple line-out cable to the RU6!!! HUGE! The apple dongle cannot really make the DT1770 sing but the RU6 on the contrary sounds really great when it drives DT1770. I just do not use the RU6 and DT1770 for portable use. My 1770 will stay at home and I use them with my desktop amplifier. That means that I still cannot justify the price for the RU6 for portable use with the headphones I normally would use for transportation or when traveling. But for those people who are using RU6 at the office with higher impedance headphones the RU6 is probably one of the best you can find. It is the only dongle I have tried.

If I was to use anything else than my AirPods for the office, like DT1770, I would just bring my TR-Amp in my bag. I think I will put all the dongle madness behind me and realize that there are better options for making my Grados sing.

It could be wonderful to compare the RU6 and the Colibri. I would love to hear how the Colibri sounds and how it drives the high impedance and also the lower impedance headphones like Grado.

Jun 9, 2022 at 2:57 AM Post #100 of 168
Thanks! Think I skip buying a dongle. My ermen are so engaging with mine Grados. My current gear give me all I need.
But for me the hobby is the gear and music.. So always tempted to try new gear. But if I find someting I like, I keep it forever.
My last speaker amp, I owned for 14 years. Sold cause of going over to HP`s in 2016
Don`t use my stationary gear so much. Maybe I sell it and put the money in a new earmen angel or a Grado PS1000e.

Jun 15, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #101 of 168
Okay, here's some thoughts on the Colibri:

Size:

It isn't that big. Still definitely portable and usable as a dongle. A touch bigger than Questyle's M15 but smaller than Mojo. For what it's worth, although I've carried Mojo on the go at times, I've always treated it (and thought of it) more suited to desktop use.

Sound:

Colibri delivers quite a robust, weighty sound, with a bit more body on the notes than other dongles - which I presume is the benefit of the battery power coming into play. Actually it reminds me of the iBasso DX80 in terms of overall signature, in the sense the DX80 is reknown for a robust weighty sound, with a solid bass and full mids, so that kind of mids downwards it delivered a full sound signature. The Colibri has that same impression of a solid full-bodied sound. Details are good and the treble has clarity without coming across too bright or aggressive. This is all with the bass switch off too. Having seen the Headfonics review that described the bass as neutral I worried it might not be enough, but the bass quantity is already pretty solid even without the added bass. As stated in other reviews, the bass switch is relatively slight, but definitely noticeable, and adds a few decibels in the sub-bass, more than the mid-bass.

All these impressions were with my B&W P7s, which use a single-ended cable. I've only just received an HD660S with balanced and single-ended cables, so haven't had as much time using the balanced out. But the Colibri certainly sounds better with the 660S from the 4.4 than the 3.5mm connection, as with the single-ended I'm pushing up towards the top of the volume range from my iPhone. I note that the Passion for Sound youtube review stated the difference in sound quality between balanced/unbalanced isn't as sizeable for the Colibri as for the Earmen Sparrow, but I do notice more space and better definition at comparable volumes when I connect the 660S balanced. Also, another reviewer had measured the output from the Colibri as 1.5V/3V on unbalanced/balanced rather than the stated 2V/4V, and that seems consistent with my experience as I need to push the volume slider on my phone higher with Colibri than with other dongles like the Chronos, M12 or M15.

Niggles and issues:

As mentioned in one of the online reviews, having the indicator light on one side and the controls on the other doesn't work that well, as you have to look at the light to make when you turn it on, but can easily lose track of which side is the power and bass control versus volume up and down buttons and have to flip it over to recheck.

The indicator light flashes various times at start up to indicate battery life, which is okay as a system. But there's no way to check the battery life during use, other than when a red light near the bottom comes up when the battery is low. I haven't been able to listen for long enough to drain the battery in one sitting, and haven't been timing my cumulative use across different sessions, but the battery life seems pretty good and probably around the stated 5 hour mark when used with efficient headphones like the B&W P7s.

The volume isn't actually an independent volume control - it adjusts the volume on the device feeding the Colibri. Or at least, it does with my iPhone, which leads to another problem: the volume control doesn't work with Audirvana in Windows (using Audirvana 3.5). When just using Windows, e.g. watching a video online, you can use the Windows volume slider to change Colibri's volume. But with Audirvana the Colibri doesn't come up with a volume adjustment slider. Initially, the volume with Audirvana was set at an output that was okay with my P7s, a bit lower than I would usually listen to, but not too bad. I ran a firmware update that was available on the Earmen website, and now it outputs at seemingly full volume only and way too loud for usable listening. I no longer have a Roon subscription so don't know how it compares on that front, or with the newer versions of Audirvana, but I haven't had this one-set-volume issue with other dongles or USB DACs I've used with Audirvana 3.5.

During normal use with my phone, I've also found that I end up adjusting the volume more often than I do with other sources. Sure, with most sources you will change the volume every now and then depending on track mixes and dynamic peaks. But with Colibri I feel like I have more difficulty dialing in the right volume setting. Something in the upper mids/treble region comes across too loud and I turn it down, only to feel it's quieter than I'd like and want to turn it up again. I was hoping that might change with more burn in but I'm still experiencing it.

Also, I seem to have connection/playback problems with Colibri more so than with other dongles. With all dongles sometimes you need to disconnect and reconnect to get the iPhone to recognize the device, e.g. after stopping playback for a while. But with Colibri it seems to happen more often, or I have issues where I hit play but playback doesn't start. Occasionally I've also had pops due to the relay switching on/off or sudden harsh digital sounds just before playback starts, to the extent I often start play with my headphones off just to save my ears in case it happens (perhaps the relay clicks are another thing that reminds me of the DX80, which had bad relay pops on start up and shut down :wink: ). Oddly, when switching on the bass boost, I've also had it suddenly switch to producing a harsh digital noise rather than playing back music. So far, that's only happened on the balanced connection, and certainly doesn't happen every time. So likewise, I move the headphones off my ears just to make sure the bass boost isn't going to go wacky like that whenever I change it.

Summary:

In all, the Colibri certainly delivers a DAP-like solidity to the sound and more distinct imaging than many other dongles I've tried. The overall sound is clear, robust and I think would live up to most people's modern expectations of definition, attack and detail from a small device. But in the dongle market these days we're spoiled for choice, and in a crowded, competitive market little issues with usability can easily tip the balance. So for me personally, I think the Colibri won't manage to the take the crown away from some of my other favorites.

Aug 17, 2022 at 8:26 AM Post #105 of 168
Looking forward to more impressions. I should be able to get one soon - I think the Sparrow can be astounding for a dongle, so if the Colibri brings more refinements that's a big win; for IEMs i already find the Sparrow bettering the Mojo 2 with more musicality whilst keeping similar technicalities. The only thing I will mention is that sometimes it can be a little overly vivid and sprightly, I can feel the sabre dac pedigree but this is usually balanced with inner warmth. I'm hoping the Colibri is a touch calmer, but not sure what else I can ask, just better Sparrow sounds good

Oh yea - it'd better not have any em interference problems like the Sparrow

* I didn't like the sound of the TR-Amp

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back