EarMen Colibri
Aug 17, 2022 at 1:23 PM Post #121 of 168
The last dongle that really dropped my jaw was the iFi Go bar anniversary edition.

Oh man I had a chance to get that with some discount but I raised my nose at it instead - I thought gold plated instagram influencer dongle... Colibri should come close with its clean power no?

Aug 18, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #125 of 168
The Colibri is calmer and more organic sounding than the sparrow.
Sounds like the Tradutto tuning lineage. Awesome!

Aug 19, 2022 at 8:21 AM Post #127 of 168
I am wondering how big the difference is between TR-Amp, Tradutto and Angel - used as DAC only?
They are all using ESS DAC ES9038Q2M DAC chip?

And then Colibri a small portable device enter the stage claiming to be using an even better chip:

The heart of the Colibri is the flagship of the ESS line ES9281 PRO DAC. The ESS SABRE PRO series is for premium audiophile and sets a new benchmark in high-end audio by offering the highest dynamic range (DNR) with impressively low levels of total harmonic distortion plus noise (THD+N).

When searching for best Sound Quality for Money ratio, the Colibri looks like the one to get, if I already have a fantastic amplifier that pair well with my headphones and a better DAC is all I need?

Aug 19, 2022 at 8:34 AM Post #128 of 168
I am wondering how big the difference is between TR-Amp, Tradutto and Angel - used as DAC only?

And then Colibri a small portable device enter the stage claiming to be using an even better chip:

The heart of the Colibri is the flagship of the ESS line ES9281 PRO DAC. The ESS SABRE PRO series is for premium audiophile and sets a new benchmark in high-end audio by offering the highest dynamic range (DNR) with impressively low levels of total harmonic distortion plus noise (THD+N).

When searching for best Sound Quality for Money ratio, the Colibri looks like the one to get, if I already have a fantastic amplifier that pair well with my headphones and a better DAC is all I need?

Earmen do something different with the Sparrow and Colibri - they take a top shelf pro ess chip and utilise all it's core built features: amplification/clockling/etc - they build around it to maximise the chip as a standalone unit, which is probably why the sound is so pure and sweet like an Alpine stream - it's like I'm plugging in my earphones directly in the chip with the shortest path to the audio. It's a top of the line chip and it has a lot of room to scale up in terms of sound quality and Earmen respect it's delicate nature. I suspect ES9038Q2M is different as it requires more work around it + amplifcation etc and more can go wrong, and even a well implemented one might not have that immediate and pure nature.. Ultimately there is something about plugging in directly into a top of the line pro chip which is seated in circuitry to maximise it's purity - IMO.. i might be talking rubbish but I've heard many ESS dacs and almost none of them have given me the pure neutral unfiltered but musical sound of their dongles - only the Apogee Element desktop has similar qualities (and to a higher standard unsurprisingly).

* I think Colibri is also using the built in amplification like the Sparrow from the ES9281

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #129 of 168

9038 is a desktop chip. DAC only.
9281 is all in one DAC and AMP.

Ess offer few all in one amp/dacs. they have many desktop DAC`s
9038 isn`t "top of the line"

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #130 of 168

The one is a DAC chip only and the other is a DAC/amp chip for more portable use.
You are not going to see a good desktop unit with the 9281 Pro.
Then after the DAC there is all the other stuff around it, power supply, analogue stage etc.
Musical Fidelity m6x dac is using the humble 9038Q2M but if you have a listen to it you are going to be left wondering what the hell are they doing and it beats all Chi-Fi gear with the same chip.

Aug 19, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #131 of 168
Yea.they say the 9038 chip in DF Cobalt is wast of money. Cause of : «other stuff around it,» not good enough for the potential in 9038

Aug 20, 2022 at 11:49 AM Post #132 of 168
I received the Colibri - sounds good but I have some operational issues with it:

If I rurn the Colibri off/on (whilst usb connected) its not detected again on my devices - i have to unplug/plug the usb, sometimes I have to turn off and on again the colibri and even then it's not detected, then i again plug unplug the cables from the source and do a rain dance - it starts working eventually, sometimes randomly.

Sometimes upon connecting the USB and playing music first time it does a huge pop, almost deafening me (even with HD800S) - I'm always scared when plugging it in so I started taking off my headphones - this is a big problem for me. Tested on Macbook Pro with Roon and Android device. None of my many other sources do this.

It randomly cuts out and continues playing music every couple minutes or so on Roon. None of my other sources do this.

Also harsh digital noise comes one randomly when i switch the bass boost on - not always but it's given me a heart attack couple of times.

I don't know if there is a new firmware for it - will check. These issues really need to be ironed out asap, one of which is a hearing safety issue.

@Miroslav EarMen - see above please

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #133 of 168
I received the Colibri - sounds good but I have some operational issues with it:

If I rurn the Colibri off/on its not detected on my devices - i have to unplug/plug the usb, sometimes I have to turn off and on again the colibri and even then it's not detected, then i plug unplug the cables from the source and do a rain dance - it starts working eventually, sometimes randomly.

Sometimes upon connecting the USB and playing music first time it does a huge pop, almost deafening me (even with HD800S) - I'm always scared when plugging it in so I started taking off my headphones - this is a big problem for me. Tested on Macbook Pro with Roon and Android device. None of my many other sources do this.

It randomly cuts out and continues playing music every couple minutes or so on Roon. None of my other sources do this.

I don't know if there is a new firmware for it - will check. These issues really need to be ironed out asap, one of which is a hearing safety issue.
Have you downloaded the firmware from the EarMen website?
It is obligatory.
IMG_20220820_185129.jpg

Aug 20, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #134 of 168
Have you downloaded the firmware from the EarMen website?
It is obligatory.

I missed that - i think this should have been mentioned by Earmen on this forum as soon as it came out? As the base firmware problems can be serious.

I am testing now with new firmware lets hope for the best..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back