EarMen Colibri
Dec 15, 2022 at 4:24 AM Post #153 of 168
I now have two Earmen Colibri and both are going back today. Completely falsely advertised at 500+mw at 16 ohms. When I plug in the aeon Noires and turn up the volume there is a tonne of bass distortion on both devices… bought a second to check it was a defect.

Frustrates me how a company cannot just be honest about its product. Proven on here by the measurements closer to 100mw for Low impedance rather than the 5x claim it carries

Dec 15, 2022 at 4:44 AM Post #154 of 168
I now have two Earmen Colibri and both are going back today. Completely falsely advertised at 500+mw at 16 ohms. When I plug in the aeon Noires and turn up the volume there is a tonne of bass distortion on both devices… bought a second to check it was a defect.

Frustrates me how a company cannot just be honest about its product. Proven on here by the measurements closer to 100mw for Low impedance rather than the 5x claim it carries
The Aeon is 13ohm.
Too low for a potable device as such that cannot handle the load and provide enough current so it is clipping and this is why you are hearing distortion.

Dec 15, 2022 at 4:50 AM Post #155 of 168
Try with an ifi diablo or buy new cans :)
Or something portable :wink:

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 5:05 AM Post #156 of 168
The Aeon is 13ohm.
Too low for a potable device as such that cannot handle the load and provide enough current so it is clipping and this is why you are hearing distortion.

I agree. But why would they advertise such available power? You all seem to have the common knowledge that it’s not possible and I would expect at LEAST that from the manufacturer

Dec 15, 2022 at 5:14 AM Post #157 of 168
I agree. But why would they advertise such available power? You all seem to have the common knowledge that it’s not possible and I would expect at LEAST that from the manufacturer
They clearly specify the measurement for 16ohm load that is already very satisfying for a USB DAC dongle.
Most of them can't handle 16ohm loads or if they can they are doing it with half the power they output at 32ohm.
So the Colibri is very good at this respect (because of the battery supply I guess) because it doubles it's power output at 16ohm compared to 32ohm.
But still 13ohm is too low especially with the sensitivity of the Aeon.

Dec 15, 2022 at 5:31 AM Post #158 of 168
You can get the ifi Gryphon as an amplifier to the Colibri using balanced, it'll drive the Noire without any issues. I assume in the first place you tested the Noire on 4.4mm Colibri? It's 3.5mm lacks grunt, but the balanced might be able to drive them

Dec 15, 2022 at 5:53 AM Post #159 of 168
I’ll add to that. I have a Khadas Tea that is technically weaker and powers the Aeons much better.

I do actually have a Gryphon so I’m good hands there. Just wanted a more portable one but I will stick with the Khadas for that.

I understand 16 isn’t 13, but it’s very close. And people on this forum have measured the output at 16ohms and it’s nowhere near the claimed 500mw. Which is pretty disappointing? Don’t you agree? Merely commenting on the claimed sped by a supposedly reputable manufacturer. Why lie? If I did that in my industry I’d be closed down by regulatory bodies

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2022 at 6:07 AM Post #160 of 168
Sorry but I am not aware of the third party measurements and their methodology.
Subjectively speaking the Colibri can drive my Focal Clear Mg, Sennheiser HD660S and 650 to ear deafening levels.
Don't know about 16ohm insensitive loads because I only have easy to drive earphones with this impedance rating.

Dec 16, 2022 at 2:01 AM Post #161 of 168
I’ll add to that. I have a Khadas Tea that is technically weaker and powers the Aeons much better.

I do actually have a Gryphon so I’m good hands there. Just wanted a more portable one but I will stick with the Khadas for that.

I understand 16 isn’t 13, but it’s very close. And people on this forum have measured the output at 16ohms and it’s nowhere near the claimed 500mw. Which is pretty disappointing? Don’t you agree? Merely commenting on the claimed sped by a supposedly reputable manufacturer. Why lie? If I did that in my industry I’d be closed down by regulatory bodies

I have to ask - are you using the 4.4mm balanced from the Colibri with the Aeons or the 3.5mm? The unbalanced out has significantly less power, much like the Sparrow.
I used the Colibri with the HD800S via balanced and it could drive them very loud without distortion.

Dec 16, 2022 at 3:22 AM Post #162 of 168
Got the Colibri yesterday. With my IE600 and Samsung S10 phone the first impression is very good. But not as clear sounding as the same IEM fed by my RME-ADI2
It's not an eye-level comparison, but I have the Mojo 2 here in the meantime and it knocked my socks off yesterday. The Colibri I must therefore probably sort out. It is clearly better than the Sparrow, but the difference to the Mojo 2 is just too big.

Dec 16, 2022 at 5:38 AM Post #163 of 168
It's not an eye-level comparison, but I have the Mojo 2 here in the meantime and it knocked my socks off yesterday. The Colibri I must therefore probably sort out. It is clearly better than the Sparrow, but the difference to the Mojo 2 is just too big.

If the Mojo is 100% what percent is the Colibri in comparison on sound quality ?

Dec 16, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #164 of 168
If the Mojo is 100% what percent is the Colibri in comparison on sound quality ?
Well, I am not a reviewer. Not so easy and please understand as a snapshot. I listened to both devices intensively for about 4-5 hours, but on 2 consecutive days. However, with the same or similar music. Samsung S10 Phone-DAC-Sennheiser IE600. very difficult, what are 0%? Anyway, I'll give it a try: I'd say the Colibri has roughly 50% SQ from the Mojo 2. Depending on how you weight it. I'm listing things that I noticed immediately without thinking about it and without intensive A/B comparison. I think timbre is around 70-80%. Spatiality between individual voices/instruments 30-40%, and decay of instruments 50-60%, Spatial Resolution 60%, Bass Precision 40-50%, Resolution 40-50% in the sense that with the Mojo 2 I notice small things like secondary voices, strumming of strings, inhalation of singers, etc. much more clearly. Cohesion of voices/instruments, impression that the musicians are part of a whole 40%.

My impression remains that the Colibri is very good for a (relatively large) dongle. However, the Mojo 2 is so clearly superior that I can no longer go back. BTW, I also briefly had the ifi xDSD Gryphon, but I had no desire for further testing. I briefly listened in, and felt that the Gryphon did not come close to the Mojo. Where I must say the association of the Gryphon with a flask has pleased me, cheers :wink:

I just see your signature. I have the Genelec 8260 for years and am always flashed how good they are :)

Dec 16, 2022 at 6:48 AM Post #165 of 168
Well, I am not a reviewer. Not so easy and please understand as a snapshot. I listened to both devices intensively for about 4-5 hours, but on 2 consecutive days. However, with the same or similar music. Samsung S10 Phone-DAC-Sennheiser IE600. very difficult, what are 0%? Anyway, I'll give it a try: I'd say the Colibri has roughly 50% SQ from the Mojo 2. Depending on how you weight it. I'm listing things that I noticed immediately without thinking about it and without intensive A/B comparison. I think timbre is around 70-80%. Spatiality between individual voices/instruments 30-40%, and decay of instruments 50-60%, Spatial Resolution 60%, Bass Precision 40-50%, Resolution 40-50% in the sense that with the Mojo 2 I notice small things like secondary voices, strumming of strings, inhalation of singers, etc. much more clearly. Cohesion of voices/instruments, impression that the musicians are part of a whole 40%.

My impression remains that the Colibri is very good for a (relatively large) dongle. However, the Mojo 2 is so clearly superior that I can no longer go back. BTW, I also briefly had the ifi xDSD Gryphon, but I had no desire for further testing. I briefly listened in, and felt that the Gryphon did not come close to the Mojo. Where I must say the association of the Gryphon with a flask has pleased me, cheers :wink:

I just see your signature. I have the Genelec 8260 for years and am always flashed how good they are :)

Thanks for that - good comparison. I had the Colibri before I got the Mojo 2and quite liked it's sound quality but I wasn't exactly floored by it too - I expected more as I was rather impressed by it's little brother the Sparrow - Colibri had other set of issues (much higher noise floor, likely due to lack of impedance gain matching like the Sparrow), and I found it a little sterile sounding. The Sparrow seemed more bouncy and more pleasantly colored if not as detailed.

The ifi Gryphon I would say can compete with the Mojo 2. It requires burn in to remove slight grain and to wake it up I found - it's quite smooth and warmish sounding with very lifelike mids and has stellar digital section with reclocking so it always sound clean and digitus free - it's a grower as it doesn't immediately impress due to it's calm and well manared nature but over long listening session one can appreciate it's superb cohesion.

Mojo 2 on the other hand can blow my socks off one day but the next it can annoy me due to it's almost compressor overly detailed nature - very impressive but over long listening session there's something a little fake/DSP to it which can be a little tiring - like PWM pulsing, music doesn't flow in a completely natural way when comparing to Gryphon or Hiby RS6 for example..

My respect to you sir for owning the Genelec 8260 - I'm a long time Genny fan, from the little ones to now 8050 and 8331's - there's only one issue I have with their DSP monitors, I don't get to tinker with other gear! It's all plug and play. I'm thinking about the ONEs now if it's time to upgrade or to get some other brand powered monitors to try something new, like JBL/Elac

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back