EarMen Colibri
Aug 17, 2022 at 8:41 AM Post #107 of 168
The Colibri is calmer and more organic sounding than the sparrow.

I'm all over that like a rash. I have a feeling I will need to ditch all my other dongles/portable dacs once I get the Colibri in the house

Aug 17, 2022 at 8:43 AM Post #108 of 168
I'm all over that like a rash. I have a feeling I will need to ditch all my other dongles/portable dacs once I get the Colibri in the house
It's really good, I am half way finishing the review and sonically I have nothing serious to complain.

Aug 17, 2022 at 8:50 AM Post #109 of 168
It's really good, I am half way finishing the review and sonically I have nothing serious to complain.

nothing serious to complain vs mind blown (for the price)? Looking forward to your review - if you can drop few more nuggets of pre-review impressions here it would be appreciate; to keep me going for few more days haha

Aug 17, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #110 of 168
nothing serious to complain vs mind blown (for the price)? Looking forward to your review - if you can drop few more nuggets of pre-review impressions here it would be appreciate; to keep me going for few more days haha
DAC dongles are now very competitive with excellent sound and it is really difficult to get mind blown...

Aug 17, 2022 at 10:03 AM Post #111 of 168
Looking forward to more impressions. I should be able to get one soon - I think the Sparrow can be astounding for a dongle, so if the Colibri brings more refinements that's a big win; for IEMs i already find the Sparrow bettering the Mojo 2 with more musicality whilst keeping similar technicalities. The only thing I will mention is that sometimes it can be a little overly vivid and sprightly, I can feel the sabre dac pedigree but this is usually balanced with inner warmth. I'm hoping the Colibri is a touch calmer, but not sure what else I can ask, just better Sparrow sounds good

Oh yea - it'd better not have any em interference problems like the Sparrow

* I didn't like the sound of the TR-Amp
Interesting - out of curiosity, what did you not like with the TR-Amp?

I sold my Mojo after I got the TR-Amp because I found it lifeless and boring to listen to. But I think a lot of it comes down to pairing and synergy with different IEM's and headphones. Now, I am looking for a smaller and more portable TR-Amp for my Etymotics and I have my eyes on these smaller EarMen products.

Aug 17, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #112 of 168
Interesting - out of curiosity, what did you not like with the TR-Amp?

I sold my Mojo after I got the TR-Amp because I found it lifeless and boring to listen to. But I think a lot of it comes down to pairing and synergy with different IEM's and headphones. Now, I am looking for a smaller and more portable TR-Amp for my Etymotics and I have my eyes on these smaller EarMen products.
What about the eagle? Or Sparrow

Aug 17, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #114 of 168
For some weeks ago,I tried my tr-amp with som new cans!always sounded good.
But this day,it not sounds good.Not at all.Mmm
Next day, turned down the volume a little bit. And it sounds awsome again…

So maybe it is me? Bad day? Not in moode?

And the sparrow offer over 300mW from balanced. And no battery.
I am bored of charging my tr-amp

Aug 17, 2022 at 1:10 PM Post #116 of 168
DAC dongles are now very competitive with excellent sound and it is really difficult to get mind blown...

They are indeed, but there are some who get that hifi magic - I can't narrow down why or how but probably combination of good soundstaging/ separation /cleanliness /clocking and some tuning/dithering to give some sweetness in combination with studio neutral. Apogee Element does this, RME ADI 2 (to a lesser extent), Sparrow to an extent also (for a dongle) which is why I single it out more so than all the Qudelix/Fiios/Shanlings; they also do a fine job but don't quite get "that" - try to accomplish an oxymoron: sweet/natural and studio neutral/excellent measuring

Aug 17, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #117 of 168
On the other hand, I prefer battery powered dongles, like the Colibri.
More clean power=cleaner sound and it doesn't drain my phone battery!
Mayby I should buy something with fast charging…love my tr-amp. But hate charging it…

Aug 17, 2022 at 1:17 PM Post #118 of 168
They are indeed, but there are some who get that hifi magic - I can't narrow down why or how but probably combination of good soundstaging/ separation /cleanliness /clocking and some tuning/dithering to give some sweetness in combination with studio neutral. Apogee Element does this, RME ADI 2 (to a lesser extent), Sparrow to an extent also (for a dongle) which is why I single it out more so than all the Qudelix/Fiios/Shanlings; they also do a fine job but don't quite get "that" - try to accomplish an oxymoron: sweet/natural and studio neutral/excellent measuring
The last dongle that really dropped my jaw was the iFi Go bar anniversary edition.

Aug 17, 2022 at 1:19 PM Post #120 of 168
Honestly I can't think why someone who likes the Sparrow, doesn't like the TR-Amp. :thinking:

I share some of the opinions with this chap that reviewed it:

Essentially it's a bit inconsistent sounding - one minute pleasant and soft piano sounds, the next minute sibilance juts out of nowhere even though track doesn't really warrant it.. it's not a frequency response but funky sabre implementation I guess. The Sparrow can do this a little too, but to a much lesser extent..

It's the passive-agressive sabre sig which the TRamp has going - for me anyway, and from what I remember..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back