Eargasm Stories
Mar 4, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #16 of 74
my very first was with my HD280 back in the day. but I get them whenever I listen to my HD650 through the beta 22, even if its a crappy song.

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #17 of 74
One I've had many times before: "Waltz for Debby," by The Bill Evans Trio (SACD) through the Zana into the 25 Ohm Beyerdynamic DT48s. It just sounds so real, especially the audience. Got a partial eargasm from the Quad ESL-63s on the same disc - should go to full eargasm one I rebuild the panels.

Mar 4, 2009 at 5:22 AM Post #18 of 74
Oh yeah I remember my most recent. It was through a friend's setup. It was the first time I heard my HD650 unveil itself, a beta22 did that. A song I was very familiar with "YUI - Summersong" sounded like I was hearing it for the very first time
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 4, 2009 at 7:38 AM Post #21 of 74
My first eargasm.

Phones...
Eadbud : Yuin PK2
Full size : ATH-A900

Songs...
Maaya Sakamoto : The Garden of Everything
Enya : Cursum Perficio

Mar 4, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #22 of 74
I had one tonight with the song "XYZ" from Hiromi Uehara. The "1-2-3" count at the begining sounds so real. I was actually wearing my Bose at the time for my Around Ear review. But switching back to my MS-1 it sounds even more real.

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:04 AM Post #23 of 74
First eargasm.. Sony MDRV300 from minidisc player listening to Dislocated Styles, Cypress Hill, Third Strike, Deltron 3030
Second eargasm.. same headphone etc.. for a while
later eargasm... AKG K141 listening to shpongle - tales of the inexpressible.
next eargasm...Sony MDRV700DJ listening to shpongle - Schnitzled in the Negev.
next eargasm... W5000 listening to Emiliana Torrini - Tuna Fish w/ tubed amp (only the mids were good, all that was needed..)
and further to last eargasm... HD25-1 II listening to Vibesquad - Janitor
and last eargasm... W11JPN listening to Entheogenic - Level One

that's the last 5 years

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:07 AM Post #24 of 74
The most memorable, and certainly most influential happened the first time I heard a Grado headphone. I bought an SR60 from Sound by Singer, sound-unheard on 16th Street near Union Square after work one day in Manhattan. I only had a Beyerdynamic DT880 at this point. On the way to the subway on 23rd Street, I pulled them out and tried them.

Directly in front of the Best Buy near the corner of 6th Ave and 23rd Street, Radiohead's Stop Whispering (U.S. Version) came on during a random sampling, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. Whatever the SR60 was doing, that was what I needed to find a lot MORE of in headphones.

I've had many since, but that's the only one I can pinpoint to a specific location and specific time. It was just so vivid. That song has never sounded as good as it did in that one moment, despite hearing it many times after on far more complex and expensive rigs.

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #25 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mercuttio /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The most memorable, and certainly most influential happened the first time I heard a Grado headphone. I bought an SR60 from Sound by Singer, sound-unheard on 16th Street near Union Square after work one day in Manhattan. I only had a Beyerdynamic DT880 at this point. On the way to the subway on 23rd Street, I pulled them out and tried them.

Directly in front of the Best Buy near the corner of 6th Ave and 23rd Street, Radiohead's Stop Whispering (U.S. Version) came on during a random sampling, and it hit me like a ton of bricks. Whatever the SR60 was doing, that was what I needed to find a lot MORE of in headphones.

I've had many since, but that's the only one I can pinpoint to a specific location and specific time. It was just so vivid. That song has never sounded as good as it did in that one moment, despite hearing it many times after on far more complex and expensive rigs.

I know exactly what you mean. So awesome.

ps. I'll get those pics to you sometime. It's just a matter of finding a good camera.

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:23 AM Post #26 of 74
Technical eargasm:
Pink Floyd "TDSOTM" Beyer DT880 - MF XCanV2

Emotional eargasm:
Sufjan Stevens "Illinoise" by just a Packard-Bell mp3 player and its earphones: but It was a sunset on the seaside, my wife and my li'l daughter were there beside me...
yes, I thought: "this is a perfect moment in life"

ciao
daniele

Mar 4, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #28 of 74
My very first eargasm was when I plugged in my MS-1 in my soundcard and heard it for the first time. I was listening to Shpongle - Dorset Perception. I had no idea what to expect as Id never heard high fidelity equipment before. It only took the first 30 seconds of that song for me to be completely blown away by how much detail was being presented to me with such precise timing. It was just crazy.

Mar 4, 2009 at 2:02 PM Post #30 of 74
when I found a pair of headphones that clamp hard enough and isoalte well enough that i cant hear my family try talk to me when they come to my house, even when music isnt playing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back