Eargasm Stories
Mar 5, 2009 at 4:18 AM Post #47 of 74
I remember a while back being rather unhappy with my HD497s, they weren't comfortable, and the sound was okay, but it was very apparent detail was just not there...so I wasn't enjoying them much.

Then I listened to Dido - Sand in My Shoes, and it was a truly eye-opening experience, the sound was crystal clear, Dido might as well have been singing in front of me, and the rest of the backing music was enveloping.

I don't know if this CD suffers from modern pop music leveling or not, but wow, given the rather ordinary gear, the only difference could have been the recording. Whenever I hear the song it reminds me of that time I found how good those pesky HD497s could sound
biggrin.gif

oh! and another one: Brad Paisley & Alison Krauss - Whiskey Lullaby, simple ipod nano & shure e4c, vocals of the finest degree.

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #50 of 74
Pink Floyd: PULSE (entire recording
biggrin.gif
) on my SR80s.

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:51 PM Post #51 of 74
right now! 16 military wives by the Decmebrists on my new AD700. I am truly in the music like I should be. I was just looking for a thread about being satisfied with some cans and found this one.

2 weeks ago, before I has my AD700, I listened to Whole Lotta Love by Led Zepplin with my image x10 and was blown away.

I love when a random song will sound perfect from set of cans or iem's and you'll get that overwhelming satisfaction that your money was well spent. My house mates give me a lot of flak for my affection toward and spending on headphones, but when I get one of these eargasm experiences I completely forget about them and everything else.

Now back to the Decembrists

Mar 5, 2009 at 8:54 PM Post #52 of 74
my eyes still get wet from Carla Bruni. Gorgeous voice-often just her and her guitar. Not her latest album-the one before. I'd tell you the title, but it's in French and I don't know French. That's how beautiful it is. Oh, all my phones.

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:08 AM Post #54 of 74
Quote:

Originally Posted by thatwunguy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love when a random song will sound perfect from set of cans or iem's and you'll get that overwhelming satisfaction that your money was well spent. My house mates give me a lot of flak for my affection toward and spending on headphones, but when I get one of these eargasm experiences I completely forget about them and everything else.

Well said, mate. I totally agree.

Dido, and Daft Punk Discovery rock.

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #55 of 74
My most recent out-of-body experience (yesterday)

Song: "You Are The Blood" by Sufjan Stevens
Rig: AKG 271s -- mini3 -- 80 gig ipod
Adjective: utterly MAJESTIC and ENGULFING

actually its more the song than the hps as no matter how i listen to it (hooked up in car, atrio m5, x10s, dt880, etc) i always get shivers. Dark Was the Night is an AWESOME compilation, cant recommend it enough.

Oh, and my personal Jeff Buckley eargasm song is "Lover You Should've Come Over"...especially once he gets to the part "my kingdom for a kiss upon her shoulder".... WOAH shivers galore

Mar 6, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #57 of 74
My first experience.. Pink Floyd: Shine on You Crazy Diamond.. simply "out of this world" (lol) on my Grado SR 80i's that just came today.. and I have to say, I am extremely happy with my purchase! The sound is night and day when compared to my Senn HD202's! Thank you all for opening my eyes (and my ears lol)!

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:04 AM Post #58 of 74
A vintage (early 70's) component cassette tape player w/ headphone jack.
Koss Pro4AA phones.
"Heart of the Sunrise" from the Fragile album by Yes.
This hooked me on the headphone listening experience, especially the ethereal Anderson solo toward the middle of the track - that and Squire's rock-star bass lines.

A vintage (mid 70's) Fisher receiver w/ headphone jack.
Koss Pro4AAA phones.
"How Can I Refuse?" from the Passionworks album by Heart.
I had no idea at the time how good the Fisher receiver headphone jack was - just that I'd NEVER heard anything sound SO engaging before!!!

A now-vintage (early 80's) Sony Sportsman cassette tape player.
I still own this (working) cassette player. It's a goodie!!!
Grado SR60 phones.
"Into White" from Tea For the Tillerman by Cat Stevens.
Layering and depth of soundstage (along with the Cat-man's magical conjurings) transported me whole into this portion of his virtual sonic world.

A 5.5G RWA iMod w/ ALO Jumbo Cryo iMod dock.
PenguinAmp Caffeine amp.
ALO-modded SR225 phones (Becote earcups and 18AWG Jena Cryo wire).
"Take Me Home" from the Temptation album by Holly Cole.
Spookily real, intensely intimate and emotionally-charged interpersonal experience through a recorded track playback. What a rush!

Wave files through a Headroom Ultra Micro DAC.
Purity Audio KICAS Caliente amp.
HD650 w/ ALO 18AWG Jena Cryo Wire replacement cable.
"Modern Love" from the Let's Dance album by David Bowie.
Vibrantly-moving, a sense of an intense and confidential person-to-person interaction with the persona portrayed by Bowie -again through a recorded track playback - of an art-Pop track - which had more the feel of a live musical-drama performance than a Pop album.

Same rig and phones as in 2008.
"Crushed", "Complicated", "Falling Up", "Dreamsleep", "Euphoria" from the album, Live at the El Rey, by Collide. A stunningly full, life-like live album.
"China Bird" and "Gung Ho" from the Gung Ho album by Patti Smith.
An amalgam, or sorts, of all of the previous memorable experiences - with lots more long, slow shivers going up and down my spine during the entire duration of the tracks, especially on the Patti Smith tracks.

Mar 6, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #59 of 74
Just had one:

From the Cradle to the Grave by Evil Activities

Setup:
HD-555s
Fiio E5

Currently having another one...
Vengeance - Evil Activities

Users who are viewing this thread

Back