Earbuds/IEMS for home/travel?
Feb 22, 2011 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

MusicMage

New Head-Fier
  Hello, I've been on the lookout for a good pair of earbuds/IEMS that would be enjoyable to use both at home and while on the go (walking places or taking public transportation). I've been very interested in audiophile-level sound lately (yes, this would be my point of entry), and the Yuin PK1 has caught my eye.

I'd be interested in plugging it into an amp when at home, although I'm completely new to such equipment, and therefore, I'd like some recommendations for an affordable amp that is of decent quality, which I would probably buy in a few months.   

Are the Yuin PK2s good enough to blow me away? I'm used to skullcandy/bose to be quite honest... The Shure E2cs  were also under consideration, but the amazon reviews have given me the impression that they can break quite easily, so I've been reluctant to look further into them.

If needed:

I listen to: hardcore/metalcore, electronica/trance, bass-heavy drone/doom metal etc.

I don't need a thumping bass, as I'd rather have a more balanced sound with a noticeable bass.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 22, 2011 at 9:01 PM Post #2 of 7
I think this post might help you http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/524682/sunrise-audio-impressions-of-as-charm-and-as-feeling-earbuds-and-sw-xcape-canalphone-iem and give you some alternatives of Yuin's earbuds.

Feb 23, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #4 of 7
IMO, audia4 linked you to the wrong thread, http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-146-iems-compared-meelectronics-m16-rx11-added-02-21. Personally i'd recommend you go with iem's not earbuds, they tend to fit better and have far better isolation. Better isolation tends to mean better sound at a lower volume so you won't damage your hearing on the subway etc. Please, Please, Please don't go for the e2c whatever you do, they were introduced about 6/7 years ago and can be outclassed by earphones half their price. Also you haven't stated your source but I wouldn't bother with an amp unless you are considerably upping your budget, it'll do nothing but annoy you, if you just want a bass-boost that's what a good eq system is for.

What do you mean by "audiophile level"? As far as i'm concerned audiophile level is defined by how much you want to spend.

Good luck in your search, your ears will thank you, your wallet will curse you and head-fi welcomes you.

Feb 23, 2011 at 8:46 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
IMO, audia4 linked you to the wrong thread, http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-146-iems-compared-meelectronics-m16-rx11-added-02-21. Personally i'd recommend you go with iem's not earbuds, they tend to fit better and have far better isolation. Better isolation tends to mean better sound at a lower volume so you won't damage your hearing on the subway etc. Please, Please, Please don't go for the e2c whatever you do, they were introduced about 6/7 years ago and can be outclassed by earphones half their price. Also you haven't stated your source but I wouldn't bother with an amp unless you are considerably upping your budget, it'll do nothing but annoy you, if you just want a bass-boost that's what a good eq system is for.

What do you mean by "audiophile level"? As far as i'm concerned audiophile level is defined by how much you want to spend.

Good luck in your search, your ears will thank you, your wallet will curse you and head-fi welcomes you.

Thank you for the detailed response, and for the warm welcome. When I stated that I was interested in "audiophile-level" sound, I just meant that I wanted to invest in headphones that are known to sound better than the the ultra-mainstream skullcandy, bose, and beats earbuds, as I'm aware of their poor sound quality, and feel that I could make a wiser decision.

To be honest, I'd prefer them to be sold at Best Buy, as I have around $100 dollars in gift cards to spend there, but I wouldn't mind buying online if it is needed to obtain the most desirable earbuds that suit my lifestyle.

Feb 24, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #6 of 7
Having a quick browse of the best buy website, their choices for $100 or more are fairly limited, the monster turbine line and the sennheiser ie8 are fairly well respected around these parts but you can get them cheaper elsewhere, they are, by all accounts, all bass heavy iem's. Can you sell your token and spend the money elsewhere? I think your best bet is trawling through that list of joker's reviews in the appropriate price range (make a note of dates, newer earphones always tend to be better) and find out where you can get hold of them.

Also, to confuse you more, if you're familiar with sound signatures this thread might be useful narrowing down some choices. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/541204/concise-multi-iem-comparison

Feb 24, 2011 at 5:28 PM Post #7 of 7
 Thank you for the information, I'll be sure to do some more research. I was also wondering: should I be experimenting with the EQ options on my 30g ipod, or is that something that only amp users have to deal with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back