Earbuds, budget $50 or so. Please help a confused n00b!
Jul 21, 2010 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

2after909

New Head-Fier
So I did some searches and the plethora of options that came up leaves me undecided. Especially since people that ask for earphones/earbuds often get recommended IEMs and stuff that doesn't really fall into the category; the only earphones recommendation is saw repeatedly are the Yuin PK3.

Anyways, let me provide you some info.

Musical taste: mostly electronic music such as house and techno, but also electronica, balearic, and indie dance stuff; less frequently, alternative rock

Devices: main device will be my Android smartphone (Nexus One); perhaps occasionally i'll plug 'em into my external audio interface which is 24bit/96kHz

Audio files: 320kbps MP3, some OGG (quality 6 or better), and a fairly large amount of FLACs (which are playable on my phone)

Usage: earphones should be portable and relatively comfortable to wear; I *don't* want anything that's very heavily isolated (it should be doable to wear them on the streets of New York at least at low volume). Hopefully, nothing that'll fall out of my ears all the time..

Budget: $50-60, may go a few bucks higher if it's worth it

Thoughts?

Jul 22, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #3 of 5
altec lansing uhp606 is the same as UE superfi 4.  If you don't mind the logo, it's an amazing deal.

Jul 22, 2010 at 5:05 PM Post #4 of 5
Also take a look at Sennheiser's MX470/471 and MX580/581.  The former would be better if you want a warmer sound with more bass, the latter if you prefer more clarity.  Either choice will run you under $30.

Quote:
altec lansing uhp606 is the same as UE superfi 4.  If you don't mind the logo, it's an amazing deal.

The OP specifically wanted earbuds, not IEMs.
smile.gif

Quote:
So I did some searches and the plethora of options that came up leaves me undecided. Especially since people that ask for earphones/earbuds often get recommended IEMs and stuff that doesn't really fall into the category; the only earphones recommendation is saw repeatedly are the Yuin PK3.

Jul 22, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #5 of 5
Ah, whoops.  That's what I get for watching Jackie Brown while browsing.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/371235/earbud-buyer-s-guide-feat-ok1-pk1-ok2-k319-pk2-ath-cm700

I have the Sennheiser PMX80.  For earbuds, they're about the best I've heard.   The OMX80 are the same except for how it stays on your head, and I'm sure Sennheiser has a design that uses the same drivers in a non-sport housing.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/612651-REG/Sennheiser_502541BLU_OMX_80_Sport_II.html
For some reason, B&H, an authorized dealer and respected shop, has these for $15 less than anywhere else right now.  They had the same thing with yellow AKG K330 for $50, $20 less than anywhere else, and the white k518 for $80, which is not only less than anywhere else, but also was $30 cheaper for that color than the others.

Look through their website and see if there's anything you like:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/Earphones/ipp/100/pn/2/ci/12574/Ns/p_PRICE_2|1/N/4289367039

Users who are viewing this thread

Back