"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Apr 1, 2021 at 10:43 AM Post #1,891 of 1,906
If you get a chance to buy a SW3 I would definitely go for it. One of if my all time favourite ChiFi IEM. Had some amazing 3d holographic times with them
I didn't own the WM1A when I had a set of SW3 so cant help there. Its hard to say exactly how well they would pair - depends on what f/w you are using but they are a very good IEM

Sony I've found usually has a slightly V-shaped sound. Little bass boost, clear mids, elevated highs.

Pretty much describes the SW3 IMO. Should be a beautiful match.

As for the SW3 themselves, yes, they're pretty damn good. How much you looking at getting them used for?

Hi pal, I own both SW3 (mmcx no sibilances) and WM1A (CF MrWalkman) and I love the synergy (balanced out, double flange tips), everything what is said about this iems is improved by the dap. Big holographic soundstage, amazing bass (overall great resolution), you will habituate to listen to music out of your head all the time depending on the recordings you listen to. If you like this features I recommend them absolutely.

Is the bass bloaty or fast and accurate? Is USD80 for a used one (mmcx silver) a good price?

Apr 1, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #1,893 of 1,906
Is the bass bloaty or fast and accurate? Is USD80 for a used one (mmcx silver) a good price?
...the bass is very well behaved (but i can't tell if is the best in the iems world), it appears only when is called for, sometimes is strong, others is deep but always controlled (no bleed into the mids). Is a great price.

Apr 1, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #1,894 of 1,906
Great IEM, fair price - buy them

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:36 PM Post #1,895 of 1,906
Hi all. Seems like this thread is quite quiet so far. Someone is selling a used SW3 and after reading some reviews and posts in this thread, it seems to be a good IEM. Just wondering how it performs now compares to all other IEM in the market since it's already 2021. And has someone pair it with WM1A?
You definitely woke the thread up! And it seems we all agree, the SW3 is an exceptional bit of kit. Amazing stage, incredible bass and spectacular
I've heard the MMCX version can be a bit shrill...but they apparently fixed this? $80 is definitely a great price.

Bass is fast and accurate. Bloat isn't something the SW3 does, at all.
$80 is definitely a great price. It's more than fair...... it's a steal. If it's the same set that have been in the "for sale thread" for a while I was thinking about picking them. The question came up are they still a good IEM given all the advancement in the current crop of offerings in 2021. Whatever is new today doesn't change what made something great in in 2017. The TK SW iii was an outstanding value at full price when first released and is still a great IEM for its Hographic Stage, deep contolled bass and detailed crisp clear highs. Quit thinking about it and grab them. It'll be the best $80 you've ever spent on audio gear. You'll be getting a lot for very little.

When I bought mine, MMCX, I also heard about how shrill they can be and it was also my experience..... until I started tip rolling. When you get the perfect seal and the rights sized bore all of that disappears as though it was never there. Do yourself a favor and pick up a set of Tennmak Foams. Unlike comply and other foams they dont muddy the bass or clip the highs. The dont wear or tear like complies and they Seal and Sound like silicone with the comfort and isolation of foam. Ive been recommending them on various forum since they came out and I'm not kidding when I tell you that I've had dozens of PMs from headfiers thanking me for turning them on to these. Tennmak Strong Foams $7 for 6 Pair including shipping. They sound great wear like iron and will give you the seal and the sound to make those EarKegs delight you.

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:57 PM Post #1,896 of 1,906
Or errrm [coughs] if want an even 'better' foam tip than the tenmark then get the NewBee foam tips :wink:

Apr 1, 2021 at 2:23 PM Post #1,897 of 1,906
Or errrm [coughs] if want an even 'better' foam tip than the tenmark then get the NewBee foam tips :wink:
Either way, find a tip that works for you and gives a perfect seal for you and you won't have any treble issues.

Apr 2, 2021 at 10:30 AM Post #1,898 of 1,906
Hi all. Seems like this thread is quite quiet so far. Someone is selling a used SW3 and after reading some reviews and posts in this thread, it seems to be a good IEM. Just wondering how it performs now compares to all other IEM in the market since it's already 2021. And has someone pair it with WM1A?

the sw iii would still compete or even beat the market today, its an iem that is way ahead of its time, unfortunately during its release, the audiophile community isnt as loud as is today plus the underwhelming pr relations from toneking, furthermore, there isnt really any significant advancements to iems technology aside from the estat, planar and bone conductor drivers. So in terms of technicality it would be on par with the likes of moondrop blessing 2. Just be aware that the old batches of wired version have more balance freq response compared to their newer released batches and its mmcx versions, there was a time in tonekings official taobao page that they release a newer freq. response of their mmcx ver. but they removed it immediately. I think it was the same time right before the Ninetails have been removed from its iem lineup.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 10:37 AM Post #1,899 of 1,906
the sw iii would still compete or even beat the market today, its an iem that is way ahead of its time, unfortunately during its release, the audiophile community isnt as loud as is today plus the underwhelming pr relations from toneking, furthermore, there isnt really any significant advancements to iems technology aside from the estat, planar and bone conductor drivers. So in terms of technicality it would be on par with the likes of moondrop blessing 2. Just be aware that the old batches of wired version have more balance freq response compared to their newer released batches and its mmcx versions, there was a time in tonekings official taobao page that they release a newer freq. response of their mmcx ver. but they removed it immediately.
So I guess the mmcx version is more of a U or V shape? Any freq response graph available for the mmcx vs the wired version?

Apr 2, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #1,900 of 1,906
So I guess the mmcx version is more of a U or V shape? Any freq response graph available for the mmcx vs the wired version?

The original version was wired. A later revised version was released featuring mmcx connectors. Some people reported some issues with sibilant highs.
However it is not known if these reports eminated from new out of the box units or the owners had tried different cables / tip rolled
Originally it was reported there was nothing changed but later Musicmaker reported that there were indeed some minor tweaks.
EVERYONE here has told you they are a great IEM at a great price. You have everything you need to know now - Buy them or don't but there is nothing more to say

Apr 2, 2021 at 11:02 AM Post #1,901 of 1,906
from what I remember on that graph its more of a U-shape, unfortunately I didnt took a screenshot of that newer graph, didnt expect for toneking to remove it, thought it was for a revision. Anyways whatever your choice, the sw iii would still exhibit sibilance depending on your source, since its a very detailed iem, you either use good foams or a silicon tips that gives you a tight seal. If u want a more tamed tuning go for tk12

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #1,902 of 1,906
from what I remember on that graph its more of a U-shape, unfortunately I didnt took a screenshot of that newer graph, didnt expect for toneking to remove it, thought it was for a revision. Anyways whatever your choice, the sw iii woudl still exhibit sibilance depending on your source, since its a very detailed iem, you either use good foams or a silicon tips that gives you a tight seal. If u want a more tamed tuning go for tk12

I had an original wired version. It had zero sibilance, neither did ALL of the mmcx versions :)

Apr 2, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #1,903 of 1,906
I had an original wired version. It had zero sibilance, neither did ALL of the mmcx versions :)
Mine is a 2017 wired version, probably one of the older batches of sw iii, and I didnt mean to say the sw iii its sibilant as it is, but it will exhibit sibilance if your source is sibilant if u know what im getting here, the sw iii will reveal flaws to your songs. Probably I should say its more analytic sounding and very detailed like I said before. More so if you decide to mod it like I did mine and change the cable to a better one. Actually its the sw iii stock cable thats hindering it to sound its best.

Apr 2, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #1,904 of 1,906
I also had the MCX version and with the right tips there was no sibilance. It is a remarkable iem. The only reason I sold it is that I have a 1 in, 1 out policy and I have been steadily scaling up. Still, I have considered re acquiring it many times.... It is that good.. For $80 I don't understand what the hesitation is all about. It's a solid IEM.

Jan 5, 2022 at 1:10 AM Post #1,905 of 1,906
Had mine for over a year now, MMCX... sees weekly (but not daily) use. They are definitely on the brighter side, hovering right over the bright/sibilant boundary, changing depending on source and the music. I've managed to tame the high end somewhat, cable and tip rolling (currently using Sony Triple Comforts).
My current devices are my computer, my phone, and iBasso DC05 dongle DAC. I do not own a dedicated DAP but my phone is a Vivo Nex 3s with a AK4377A chip so no slouch in the audio department. Between the 3 options my computer consistently outputs the best sound, both from the built-in soundcard and using the DC05. By comparison my phone suffers from low volume unless I oversample everything to above 192khz.
So yes, these IEMs benefits immensely with a powerful source. Makes the sound fuller which balances out the top end more.

Other than the controversial tuning for the high end the strengths are all as described by many before me: huge, powerful, unrelenting sound that hits you hard with everything, all the details, all the space. For that reason they can also be fatiguing as you get slapped silly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back