"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Apr 29, 2018 at 11:13 AM Post #1,683 of 1,906
Auditioned the Campfire Audio Polaris earlier, a hybrid em with 1dd and 1 BA. I was excited to try it out as the reviews were amazing. I however was underwhelmed. The Polaris was indeed amazing but the SW3 more than held its own such that there was only a slight but negligible difference. I used the Aune M1s and the Mojo. At more than double the price, I expected the Polaris to at least give the SW3 a run for its money. It's really surprising that a $200 iem can at least, more or less, match one of the most renowned audio companies.

May 1, 2018 at 4:46 PM Post #1,684 of 1,906
Auditioned the Campfire Audio Polaris earlier, a hybrid em with 1dd and 1 BA. I was excited to try it out as the reviews were amazing. I however was underwhelmed. The Polaris was indeed amazing but the SW3 more than held its own such that there was only a slight but negligible difference. I used the Aune M1s and the Mojo. At more than double the price, I expected the Polaris to at least give the SW3 a run for its money. It's really surprising that a $200 iem can at least, more or less, match one of the most renowned audio companies.

The SW3 has great bass, extremely crisp treble (I don't want to say sharp because YMMV), and a huge soundstage. As you listen to the SW3, you get used to that treble detail, and switching to another IEM can be quite underwhelming as you've experienced.

May 1, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #1,685 of 1,906
The SW3 has great bass, extremely crisp treble (I don't want to say sharp because YMMV), and a huge soundstage. As you listen to the SW3, you get used to that treble detail, and switching to another IEM can be quite underwhelming as you've experienced.

Very true sir. I even tried andromeda in the hopes of trying to find something that could at least convince me to look to another iem. I did not like the sound signature as its is purely BA based. Oh well, wallet is a lot happier now, hehehe. I'll just wait for the iBasso it04 and see if it is to my liking.

Thanks again everyone.

May 4, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #1,686 of 1,906
hello guys! Now Im thinking to buy new earphones. I choose 2 kandidates: Sw3 and NiceHCK HK6 or may be you can advice smth better in this money. Could anybody compare these two models? I have a little doubt that midrange in ear kegs will be too thin for my taste.

May 5, 2018 at 11:04 PM Post #1,687 of 1,906
hello guys! Now Im thinking to buy new earphones. I choose 2 kandidates: Sw3 and NiceHCK HK6 or may be you can advice smth better in this money. Could anybody compare these two models? I have a little doubt that midrange in ear kegs will be too thin for my taste.

I haven't tried the hk6. I do not find the mids of the sw3 thin at all. It's W shaped as they say. Vocals are amazing on these and very clear. As i said before, i'm hard pressed to find another iem that can compete with it in terms of value for money.

May 17, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #1,690 of 1,906
I got the vsonic gr07 bass edition just to see what the fuss was about. They say its a legend and have that bass rumble we love. While it is a good iem, its still inferior to the sw3 by far.

The gr07 are mid cannons with sibilance up top. Bass was good but not at par with the sw3. With the sw3, you physically feel the bass on your ear. Still amazed everytime i use it.

Oh well, another iem thrashed by our favorite hybrid beast.

Thanks guys.

Jun 15, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #1,692 of 1,906
Wow, haven’t been here for a while, not since selling my SW3. I liked them, but the treble just too hot for me, sort of like the CL1 ceramics.

Man, I wish you had got one of the pre-treble issue sets. Ive been listening to mine again for the first time in ages (been on quite the can trip) with a new headphone amp and they are so so good.
I did find another very similar sounding pair - The Trinity Icarus III. Slightly more rolled off highs but the same 3D soundstage - incredible IEM's They were the last IEM's that Bob made before he left the company so they are not really known :/
If your looking for a similar sounding IEM but without the hot treble :

Here:

https://penonaudio.com/trinity-icarus-iii.html

Trinity ICARUS III 2 BA + 1 Dynamic Driver Hybrid Audiophile In-Ear Earphone Monitors

Description

• Incorporating a lightweight Zinc alloy shell and our modular cable system for increased versatility.
  • Each Icarus III comes with interchangeable metal and carbon fibre face plates in yellow (carbon fibre), red and blue to suit your style.
  • But beauty is not just skin deep on the Icarus III. Inside your will find our 11mm dual coil electroacoustic transducer combined with our series 2 wideband balanced armature. This arrangement offers 3D imaging and instrument placement like never before with a more organic lifelike audio reproduction. Coupled to the the Trinity filter tuning system for tuning to your individual taste.
Specification

• Aluminum shells
  • Interchangeable metal and carbon fiber faceplate colors (Yellow/Blue/Red)
  • 11mm dual coil electroacoustic transducer + second generation balanced armature
  • Trinity modular fabric cable system
  • 12 x tuning filters.
  • OFC Single crystal cables
Package

• ICARUS III
  • 6.3mm adapter
  • 4 pairs of silicone eartips
  • Double flange eartips
  • S/M Memory foam eartips
  • Clip
  • 12 pairs of tuning filters
  • 2pcs Faceplate
  • 3.5mm to 3.5mm 3-pole cable
  • 3.5m balanced cable to 3.5 balanced 4-pole cable
  • Tools

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #1,693 of 1,906
Man, I wish you had got one of the pre-treble issue sets. Ive been listening to mine again for the first time in ages (been on quite the can trip) with a new headphone amp and they are so so good.
I did find another very similar sounding pair - The Trinity Icarus III. Slightly more rolled off highs but the same 3D soundstage - incredible IEM's They were the last IEM's that Bob made before he left the company so they are not really known :/
If your looking for a similar sounding IEM but without the hot treble :

Here:

https://penonaudio.com/trinity-icarus-iii.html

Trinity ICARUS III 2 BA + 1 Dynamic Driver Hybrid Audiophile In-Ear Earphone Monitors

Description

• Incorporating a lightweight Zinc alloy shell and our modular cable system for increased versatility.
  • Each Icarus III comes with interchangeable metal and carbon fibre face plates in yellow (carbon fibre), red and blue to suit your style.
  • But beauty is not just skin deep on the Icarus III. Inside your will find our 11mm dual coil electroacoustic transducer combined with our series 2 wideband balanced armature. This arrangement offers 3D imaging and instrument placement like never before with a more organic lifelike audio reproduction. Coupled to the the Trinity filter tuning system for tuning to your individual taste.
Specification

• Aluminum shells
  • Interchangeable metal and carbon fiber faceplate colors (Yellow/Blue/Red)
  • 11mm dual coil electroacoustic transducer + second generation balanced armature
  • Trinity modular fabric cable system
  • 12 x tuning filters.
  • OFC Single crystal cables
Package

• ICARUS III
  • 6.3mm adapter
  • 4 pairs of silicone eartips
  • Double flange eartips
  • S/M Memory foam eartips
  • Clip
  • 12 pairs of tuning filters
  • 2pcs Faceplate
  • 3.5mm to 3.5mm 3-pole cable
  • 3.5m balanced cable to 3.5 balanced 4-pole cable
  • Tools

I actually have the IMR R1’s. Excellent as well with extended treble. It also has great bass and is tunable.

Jun 15, 2018 at 3:29 PM Post #1,695 of 1,906
I sold my SW3 over a year ago and just got the R1. Going by memory, the R1 has just as an extended treble but is not as sibilant as the SW3. The treble is near perfect on R1. It can be just a bit too much on the rare song. The bass is the standout on the R1 but SW3 bass is good as well. I’d call R1 a more refined SW3, quite a bit more refined. To me that’s what the SW3 needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back