"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Jun 15, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #1,696 of 1,906
I got the vsonic gr07 bass edition just to see what the fuss was about. They say its a legend and have that bass rumble we love. While it is a good iem, its still inferior to the sw3 by far.

The gr07 are mid cannons with sibilance up top. Bass was good but not at par with the sw3. With the sw3, you physically feel the bass on your ear. Still amazed everytime i use it.

Oh well, another iem thrashed by our favorite hybrid beast.

Thanks guys.

I didn't find much of a difference between the Gr07 and the GR07 BE. Both have ok bass. Nothing like the SW3.

Jul 25, 2018 at 2:14 AM Post #1,697 of 1,906
Is it safe to assume that from reading all of the previous negative comments on the new mmcx version, have mentioned about the 'over accessive brightness' ( not sibilence ) as compared to the corded version being from older batches or not having defects in the newer batches...?

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 7:45 AM Post #1,698 of 1,906
Is it safe to assume that from reading all of the previous negative comments on the new mmcx version, have mentioned about the 'over accessive brightness' ( not sibilence ) as compared to the corded version being from older batches or not having defects in the newer batches...?

Yes, I have one of the early editions with the fixed cable and it has zero sibilance.
One of the finest IEMs I have heard. I certainly have no desire t look further than these. Beautiful 3D holographic imaging.

if memory serves there were some [un-advertised, unknown] changes made to the design in later models which led to the sibilant issues with some later models... Tragic :/

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018 at 8:00 AM Post #1,699 of 1,906
I'm thinking of using a Fiio Q1 MkII with these sets.

Would they be sufficient in power delivery considering the 8 Armature drivers it needs to power from the 3.5mm port. I know that it's frequency range is suitable from 5Hz to 55Khz but I am quite unfamiliar with its power draw and corrilation to resistance...

Also would getting the mmcx version be better to run them in balanced mode?

Jul 25, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #1,700 of 1,906
So I had the old pair then lost them. I got the new pair and with some Eqing and iaudiogate on my phone, its still fantastic. I get rid of the sibilance and love these. I have too many iems but at the end of the day I love these, lz a4, periodic be, ie800, dunu 2000j, Akg 3003i. I wasted my money on lz a5, noble Kaiser k10u, Rose mojito.

Oct 22, 2018 at 2:17 AM Post #1,701 of 1,906
A a while ago I purchased the MusicMaker Phantom III silver mmcx type connector earbuds from Ali-express and have been pleasantly surprised with the quality but I definitely have found that they are quite bright until you burn them in.

I have had about 110 - 120 hours of burn in on them now and they sound great with mostly all vocal ranges distinguishable. Burn in with frequency generator sweeps on oscillation mode to square... ( Need to hide the earbuds somewhere to block piercing frequency leakage :/ )

Considering their price they are a great pair. Although I have had trouble with some DAC sources so If you are to purchase this pair, a warm sounding DAC or Amp ( Fiio A7 I use ) and Auvio ear-tips sound great with them considering the earbuds are extremely source dependent...
If the source is too bright it will be to sibilant which will cause the sound stage to be to cluttered and shouty.

The only thing I must complain about the Auvio ear-tips is that although they sound smooth on the ears, they can hide some of the detail on the lower mids... that is my only complaint. Apart from that some other ear-tips suit it fine but might cause the sound stage to feel further away after 100 hours burn in.

Oct 22, 2018 at 8:01 AM Post #1,703 of 1,906
I'm still hesitant to buy "MusicMaker Phantom III" or "Periodic audio BE". I'm crazy about details and separation. It can only be fulfilled by the BA configuration. Periodic audio BE is only supported by 1 dynamic driver. Does anyone have both? Please advise.

Oct 27, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #1,705 of 1,906
What’s a good 2.5 balanced cable that reduces sibilance in these? But keeps bass and soundstage.
Hi,

In just use the Fiio 2.5 cables "RC-SE1B". It's fairly cheap and I have no issues at all. It's already a year old.

The problem with other cables is the memory wire that's supposed to go over "behind the ear". The Fiio's do not have these.

I find that the copper cables are best for these. If I'm not mistake the Fiio's are copper.

Dec 29, 2018 at 10:08 PM Post #1,707 of 1,906
I have a feeling the ends of them screw in? I cant remember where that thought came from though :s
Please let me know if you manage it how the sound changes. I LOVE mine as is (1st version)

Dec 29, 2018 at 11:32 PM Post #1,708 of 1,906
I have a feeling the ends of them screw in? I cant remember where that thought came from though :s
Please let me know if you manage it how the sound changes. I LOVE mine as is (1st version)

Yeah I thought so too but haven't gone to the lengths to actually try in fear of scratching them up more than they already are lol. Luckily it looks like the cable is 4-strand (L/R Ground and L/R channel) so I'm going to try and just replace the 3.5mm with a 2.5mm balanced plug...if I can figure out the wires properly (wish me luck!).

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 12:58 AM Post #1,709 of 1,906
Would anyone here possibly happen to have a pair of Shockwave IIIs with MMCX they might want to sell? I'd very much be interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back