"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Feb 13, 2019 at 8:50 PM Post #1,726 of 1,906
I have both Original and MMCX version of these brilliant Ear Kegs and both sound excellent
No Sibilant difference at all
Interestingly i recommended to a friend and they also are very happy with their newish MMCX version
I can say the Kegs respond to a cable improvement
That big spacious sound .. Always
Finally i play the Kegs from a LG V20
Hope this helps

Feb 15, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #1,727 of 1,906
I have both Original and MMCX version of these brilliant Ear Kegs and both sound excellent
Interestingly i recommended to a friend and they also are very happy with their newish MMCX version
Hope this helps
Wow, that´s great to know. I had a hard time looking for the 2016 release with the fixed cable, which does not have the sibilance problem.
At what store at Aliexpress did you purchase the SW3? How long did you get it?
Wich cable are you using now?
If the new release is not different from the fixed cable version, regarding sibilance, I will go for it
thanks

Feb 17, 2019 at 7:10 AM Post #1,728 of 1,906
Below is where i bought my SW3 Ear Kegs from

**** Earphone Store on Ali Express
2016 MrZ Shock Wave III Music Maker III 5 Units 4 BA With DD In Ear Earphone DA Hybrid 5 Unit Earbuds DIY HIFI Hi-End Headset
1 order
Price:US $290.00 / piece
Discount Price:
US $261.00 /piece
-10% 2 days left
Get our app to see exclusive prices
Total Price:
US $261.00

This Cable i found excellent with SW3s

**** 2.5/3.5mm 16 Core Silver Plated Earphone Cable For LZ A4 DQSM VT AUDIO SHUER846 MMCX Connetor Earbud Cable
Rated4.9/5 based on7customer reviews 4.9 (7 votes)
13 orders
Price:US $120.00 / piece
Discount Price:
US $85.20 /piece
-29% 2 days left

I have been enjoying the SW3s for nearly 3 years
The MMCX version i would recommend
Hope this helps

Feb 20, 2019 at 6:28 PM Post #1,730 of 1,906
Hope this helps

I was hoping to find a solution to that sibilance issue of SW3. Thanks for advices.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #1,731 of 1,906
To fix my sibilance:

Played it every night for 8 hours on a range of different music at slightly above listening levels,
Also after the safe time of after 100 hours I repeated the process but also throughout the day, run a frequency generator that spans 10 minutes on square sine every 2-3 times every day until sibilant tracks were not anymore.

Towards the 300 hour mark, ( When resuming to normal listening after 30 hours did not present anymore sibilance ) I played music such as rock which is quite taxing on high frequencies and orchestra.

Afterwards, the sound was a bit out of touch/muffled in higher levels but resumed to a pleasant full sound after 45 hours proceeding and continued to get better.
Keep in mind, burning in on source that presents the most sibilance is most effective to adapt the signature to the DAC, as it takes time for these earbuds to transition in 30-40 hour intervals where quality is almost at its peak for the DAC.

Apr 1, 2019 at 10:41 PM Post #1,732 of 1,906
Just wanted to share my...modified SW3's:

UmWP3zK.jpg

Yeah, ground, sanded, polished. Left is original (duh)...right is after I was finished (duh). Did both sides.

Only thing that sucks is that I thought these had a 4-core cable...cut the tip off for a 2.5mm balanced plug before realizing I was wrong. So this is about 3 hours work for...nothing lol. I'll get another plug, not the end of the world but I really want balanced so these might just get a recabling...if I can figure out how the hell to open them...

Apr 24, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #1,733 of 1,906
I know this post will probably never be seen because these IEM's have, for some reason, fallen off the map...but I've done it. I found out how to open them up:

9KkSC35.jpg

Basically just pressure fitted with some glue to hold it together.

Anyways, there's a small resistor on one end of the wire so when I recable I'll probably just splice into a little piece I'll leave behind.

Either way, no one will ever know since this thread seems all but dead...

Apr 24, 2019 at 5:00 AM Post #1,734 of 1,906
Thanks for sharing. very interesting
Years later and these are still by far one of THE best TOTL chi-fi IEMs out there for me at a any rate. (never had any sibilance issues with mine) :)

Apr 24, 2019 at 5:03 AM Post #1,735 of 1,906
Thanks for sharing. very interesting
Years later and these are still by far one of THE best TOTL chi-fi IEMs out there for me at a any rate. (never had any sibilance issues with mine) :)

Holy hell, recognition! Lol!

And yeah, these IEM's are tops...I'd say even outside the realm of Chi-Fi. Still haven't heard anything outside my old HD800's that come close and do so much so well.

Getting my new CCA C16 on Saturday and it's killing me in anticipation to compare them. I don't see them dethroning these though but at the same time I just want something new because, like, these can't be THAT good right?

Apr 24, 2019 at 5:09 AM Post #1,736 of 1,906
Holy hell, recognition! Lol!

And yeah, these IEM's are tops...I'd say even outside the realm of Chi-Fi. Still haven't heard anything outside my old HD800's that come close and do so much so well.

Getting my new CCA C16 on Saturday and it's killing me in anticipation to compare them. I don't see them dethroning these though but at the same time I just want something new because, like, these can't be THAT good right?
Haha!
I've often thought the same thing. I heard one of the £1000+ Andromeda's a while back and they were on par if not slightly 'better' to my ears
I use the red and blue kz foam tips on them and despite having gone through countless IEM's and headphones since I bought them they
still remain the best or at least my favourite :)
With later versions MrZ changed the tuning slightly which I believe caused what some people found to be sibilance in their sets, which is a great shame
Its widely known as well that they NEED at least 300 hours burn in
But yeah, my own set remain top of the food chain for me.

Toneking 9 Tail is an interesting one to look for although I can't think of much if anything that betters or comes close to what the SWIII's do
although the new DT3 if not a million miles away and that costs around $20 !!

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 7:18 AM Post #1,737 of 1,906
Yes for Quality Listening these Ear Kegs are not going away any time IMHO
I need to solder a new jack on my original pair but still have a second back up mmcx version working beautifully
I also have the CCA C16's and they are good companion IEM's with more midrange sound on my LG V20
CCA C16 Total Bargain and early reviews saying so too
What a time to be listening to IEM's :ksc75smile:

Apr 24, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #1,738 of 1,906
I also have the CCA C16's and they are good companion IEM's with more midrange sound on my LG V20

Yep I get mine in a few days. I'd ask your experience and comparison but I'll find out myself haha!

Either way, I doubt I'll be getting rid of the SW3...I've thought about it to fund other IEM's (I really want to try the ToneKing BL1 planar IEM) but will most likely just keep these unless the C16 is a decent replacement.

Apr 25, 2019 at 12:03 AM Post #1,739 of 1,906
Well I gotta say that having wider bore ear-tips still make a great difference in tonal clarity, especially off the included M130 original earbuds, they sound amazing with a non-cluttered sound-stage. I do admit, as everyone else has mentioned, they do need over 300-350+ hours of burn in. They are so good I might even buy a second mmcx pair, just for good measure! xD
20190425_140116.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back