"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Feb 17, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #1,666 of 1,906
Are there folks out there that still appreciate the SW3?
For those of you with several sources, what are you finding to be your choice match? I usually pair them with the Mojo, but I'm finding them a perfect duet with my recently purchased Opus #1s. I'm hearing a dynamic, detailed, yet smoother, rounder edge to the sound. For me, the combination is a wonderful listen when I'm in the mood for electronic or ambient music.

Its amazing with the mojo. Have you ever tried it on balanced? Crazy good with x7ii with am3 amp. Even crazier with aune m1s.

Do eq them fine sirs. Its w whole different level.

Thanks.

Feb 17, 2018 at 7:39 AM Post #1,667 of 1,906
Its amazing with the mojo. Have you ever tried it on balanced? Crazy good with x7ii with am3 amp. Even crazier with aune m1s.

Do eq them fine sirs. Its w whole different level.

Thanks.

Last year I bought the superb LittleDot 1+ Hybrid solid state tube amp - Since then I have bought a fair number of tubes all of which offer a unique sound signature. That's probably the closest I would allow myself some EQ'ing. I dont know why but I feel funny about Eq'ing headphones - Im always looking for headphones that are tuned to perfection. If I felt I had to eq a headphone to get to a sound I liked i would sell it! :) Recently I bought an 02 amp which is a rare amp in that it is a genuinely reference neutral amp... [as far as it can be] Anyway, im going to have a listen again through them and revisit the magical 3D SW3's - thanks for reminding us of these iems!

Feb 28, 2018 at 2:50 PM Post #1,669 of 1,906
I wish you good luck that you don't buy the version with the sibilance issue. It pierces your eardrums when you hear to loud. I don't know why but it sound very sharp between 6500hz and 8000hz. Many recordings hurts when you hear them to loud. Before i had the SW3 i listend to the Dunu DN-2000J. I regret it that i sold them. Now i have the LZ A5. In my eyes it sounds much better and smoother but very detailed. But i think you get very happy when you find some SW3 without the sibilance issue. Except the issue it is a very good iem. The bass is incredibly good. Strong, very fast, very textured. You can hear/feel the deepest frequences. It is overall very detailed and the seperation is top. And one of the best things of this iems is the soundstage. It is like you hear music with a surroundsystem. It is very holographic and it can play music like it is out of your head. I wish you good luck that you get one without the issue.

Feb 28, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #1,670 of 1,906
I wish you good luck that you don't buy the version with the sibilance issue. It pierces your eardrums when you hear to loud. I don't know why but it sound very sharp between 6500hz and 8000hz. Many recordings hurts when you hear them to loud. Before i had the SW3 i listend to the Dunu DN-2000J. I regret it that i sold them. Now i have the LZ A5. In my eyes it sounds much better and smoother but very detailed. But i think you get very happy when you find some SW3 without the sibilance issue. Except the issue it is a very good iem. The bass is incredibly good. Strong, very fast, very textured. You can hear/feel the deepest frequences. It is overall very detailed and the seperation is top. And one of the best things of this iems is the soundstage. It is like you hear music with a surroundsystem. It is very holographic and it can play music like it is out of your head. I wish you good luck that you get one without the issue.
Thanks! I had tk12, sold them, tried several orher iem's and now i just got tk13 and it's great. Both 12 and 13 are peaky at hights, that's why I want MMCX version - to try custom cables that could compensate it.

Feb 28, 2018 at 3:22 PM Post #1,673 of 1,906
Im lucky to have one of the early fixed cable non-sibilant SW III's
I also have the TK 13's - Just as beautifully smooth and balanced as the SWIII's - I use KZ foam tips on both though which are the only tips
that Im 100% with on them

Feb 28, 2018 at 9:19 PM Post #1,674 of 1,906
From Toneking Ofiicial Store
I asked about the current version with mmcx vs old version.

"Hello,I'm very sorry, because yesterday did not go to work, to give you a reply today.
Shockwave III (4BA: two knowles 30017,1DD:11MM)
The shell made a slight change in sound: the voice was better than before, the sound was more delicate, the bass atmosphere was better, and the overall warmth was a little. But it is still a relatively high resolution earphone, but more resistant to listening.
English expression is not good, don't know see not stated above, if in doubt, continue to give me a message, thank you."

Mar 1, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #1,675 of 1,906
Does anyone have MMCX SW3 without the sibilant issue?

Several pages before someone was about to compare sibilant and non sibilant versions of SW. It has not been done yet?

I owned tk12 without mmcx and later tk12 with mmcx - it has the same sound with sibilants. Now i have tk13 with mmcx. It also have sibilants.

It seems to me that it's about individual reaction of your ears, not about the version of earphones.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #1,676 of 1,906
From Toneking Ofiicial Store
I asked about the current version with mmcx vs old version.

"Hello,I'm very sorry, because yesterday did not go to work, to give you a reply today.
Shockwave III (4BA: two knowles 30017,1DD:11MM)
The shell made a slight change in sound: the voice was better than before, the sound was more delicate, the bass atmosphere was better, and the overall warmth was a little. But it is still a relatively high resolution earphone, but more resistant to listening.
English expression is not good, don't know see not stated above, if in doubt, continue to give me a message, thank you."
Can you please share the link to ToneKing official store , thanks,

Mar 2, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #1,680 of 1,906
Could anyone compare SW3 with Magaosi K5 / **** H5? (it's the same iem)
Yesterday I listened to **** H5 with xDuoo X3 and I can say that it's much better then Musicmaker tk13. Bass has the same level but it's more accurate, mids and hights are better, very clear but still musical and no sibilants. Really liked it. Thinking about order it and close my doubts about SW3.
attachment.php

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back