"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Nov 15, 2017 at 10:25 PM Post #1,637 of 1,906
Spiral dots?

Nov 22, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #1,639 of 1,906
What kind of cable do you guys prefer to use on these? I had been using the stock cable until I realized the memory wire was causing fit issues. Using this one now but I have a nicer one on the way. This thing sounds so damn good either way though OMG.
cameringo_20171122_075600.jpg

Nov 28, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #1,640 of 1,906
I use Venture Electronics 4-core Balanced Cable to use with the Balanced Out on my DAC. POWAH!

Dec 10, 2017 at 9:20 PM Post #1,641 of 1,906
Wow! Finally got these Friday and amazing sub bass. It’s like my 1200 watt 7.1 system in my ears! Not even running my dac that’s in the mail yet. Destroys the tk13s, as expected. But still similar soundstage and signature

Dec 13, 2017 at 6:23 AM Post #1,642 of 1,906
Hi there! I am new here. I bought the keggs a month ago and I had the same problem with sharpness sibilance in the higher mids like many others here. I had figured out that the sibilance came from a little black tube that sits on the high-frequence driver. I removed the little metal mesh on the nozzle with a fine needle and pulled off the little black tube with tweezers. The sibilance is gone now. I don't know why the producers of the keggs put this thing on top of the driver, but the sibilance is gone. I wish i got two of these earphones to compare what have changed. I don't know if I ruined my keggs now, but the sound is much smoother without the tube.

Dec 13, 2017 at 7:09 AM Post #1,643 of 1,906
Hi there! I am new here. I bought the keggs a month ago and I had the same problem with sharpness sibilance in the higher mids like many others here. I had figured out that the sibilance came from a little black tube that sits on the high-frequence driver. I removed the little metal mesh on the nozzle with a fine needle and pulled off the little black tube with tweezers. The sibilance is gone now. I don't know why the producers of the keggs put this thing on top of the driver, but the sibilance is gone. I wish i got two of these earphones to compare what have changed. I don't know if I ruined my keggs now, but the sound is much smoother without the tube.

Hi Chris
welcome :)
That is a great service you have done to with this. Its been a bit of contention for some as I and others have enjoyed a sibilant free beautiful balanced IEM where as some have reported sibilance & sharp highs
You may well have finally nailed down the source of this issue
Is your unit from a later production run?
Mine was from an early run - fixed cable?

Dec 13, 2017 at 7:20 AM Post #1,644 of 1,906
Mine is from the later production with the detachable cable. Do you still have your kegs? Could you remove the metal-mesh an send me a photo of the nozzle-inside? I am interested in what the producer has changed compared to the older one. Mine had a black plastictube on the high-freq-driver and a yellow (4700 ohm) knowles damper on the mid-freq-driver.

Dec 13, 2017 at 7:39 AM Post #1,645 of 1,906
Did your unit just unscrew ?
Im not overly keen on opening them..unless it is simple and won't cause any harm!
But what you have found would certainly explain the difference - It is very surprising as you say, especially in that Mr Z is something of a wizard at tuning IEM's
and my own pair are simply divine. I really cont see how one could tune them any better!

Dec 13, 2017 at 8:22 AM Post #1,646 of 1,906
What did you mean with: Did your unit just unscrew? Put your thumb on the nozzle for a few seconds, so the mesh get warm, than you can easly pull it off with a fine needle on the edge. It has a small ring of adhesive foil on it so it can placed back again without any harm. I don't understand why Mr. Z changed the soundtuning when it was "perfect". Excuse me if my english is a little bad. ^^"

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:15 AM Post #1,647 of 1,906
Well, I just envisioned that if you were able to both see the driver and remove a part that you had opened up the whole shell
there is no way Im going to mess with them.. too expensive to risk it :/ + I am too old now to do anything that fine and be able to even see it! :wink:
Although I think we owe you a vote of thanks for what you have done as you seem to have fixed the issue!

Dec 13, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #1,648 of 1,906
Now i could improve the "black tube problem". I had build my own tube out of a cable isolation. It is a little wider than the original tube and it has a slightly roughter surface inside. Now the details of the sound are the same like the original tube, but with less sibilance. I only recomment this fixing-way to user who not afraid to open the keggs and to tinker with something. I hope i had write it correctly. ^^"

Dec 14, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #1,650 of 1,906
Sorry but i don't want to show this modification before i know what the producer of the keggs had done with with the new version (detachable cable) compaired to the old version (fixed) cable. Also I want to compair my modificated keggs with an other pair to compair what changes. I want to know if I ruined mine. This mod is unfortunately not reversible because the little tube sits very tight on the high-freq-driver. I don't want it is my guild that other users ruined there keggs. You now what i mean?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back