"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Dec 14, 2017 at 5:07 AM Post #1,652 of 1,906
I might be able to track down someone who has been in contact with Mr Z
When I have time I'll look into it and perhaps we can write to him?
Would be good to get some clarity on this

Dec 15, 2017 at 1:49 PM Post #1,655 of 1,906
Does anybody have a comparison between the keggs and the ibasso it03? I'm think about it to buy the it03 but I don't know if these are on par with the keggs especially details, separation, headroom and so on? Are these on par, better or worse?

Dec 15, 2017 at 2:59 PM Post #1,656 of 1,906
Does anybody have a comparison between the keggs and the ibasso it03? I'm think about it to buy the it03 but I don't know if these are on par with the keggs especially details, separation, headroom and so on? Are these on par, better or worse?

I owned and did a review of the it03's although I would look to the review by H20fidelity for a more qualified review
Whether you prefer one to the other will depend on your preferences, set up etc etc. There are SO many elements that come together to produce the sound that you end up hearing!
I feel the the Shockwaves are superior but hey, they have 10 drivers!
Again though, you may well prefer the it03's with your current preference of sound / set up etc etc?
there are great reviews here of both earphones

You may find the details a tad clearer with the it03's but not necessarily better quality.
For me, with the SW3 the separation, 3D holographic imaging, depth and width are the best i have yet to hear in an IEM...by far
I personally haven't heard many $1000+ IEMs but I have no desire to owning the SW3. Can't really give higher praise than that !

Anyway...check the reviews out, that is what they are for

Dec 15, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #1,657 of 1,906
I hope that Mr.Z gives us clarity what did he change between the old and the new version of the SW3. Maybe it is only a damper (that i hope) or it is a completely new driver. When it's only a damper than i will buy these and I'am finaly happy with my keggs. The sibilance drives me crazy. :frowning2:

Jan 7, 2018 at 11:52 AM Post #1,658 of 1,906
Hi,

Got myself one of these this past december. I suppose its from the new batch. I got the black mmcx version. I use it with spiral dots as it fits my ear better than the blue ones that come with the sw3.

There is no sibilance at all at least from what i hear. Swapped the cable with an ofc balanced one and playing it with an aune m1s and x7ii on their BO. The SQ, IMO, is perfect as described here. I wonder where the sibilance issue came about?

Feb 13, 2018 at 10:41 AM Post #1,659 of 1,906
My daily driver is 1more quad driver. satisfied with performance. the problem is in the diameter of nozzle that is too big. more than 6mm. My ear cannal is too small so that iem is just swallow . plan to take sw3, but must make sure how many diamater its nozle. help anyone can answer and share experience about fit and comfort sw3.

Feb 13, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #1,660 of 1,906
My daily driver is 1more quad driver. satisfied with performance. the problem is in the diameter of nozzle that is too big. more than 6mm. My ear cannal is too small so that iem is just swallow . plan to take sw3, but must make sure how many diamater its nozle. help anyone can answer and share experience about fit and comfort sw3.
If you don't mind i suggest LZ A5 instead of SW3 and please visit the LZ A5 thread for more details/informations,

Feb 16, 2018 at 6:18 AM Post #1,661 of 1,906
Are there folks out there that still appreciate the SW3?
For those of you with several sources, what are you finding to be your choice match? I usually pair them with the Mojo, but I'm finding them a perfect duet with my recently purchased Opus #1s. I'm hearing a dynamic, detailed, yet smoother, rounder edge to the sound. For me, the combination is a wonderful listen when I'm in the mood for electronic or ambient music.

Feb 16, 2018 at 4:11 PM Post #1,662 of 1,906
Hey guys, got the keggs a few days ago and to begin with they sounded fine (not really that sibilant, compared to the lz a4 with the black or red b and blue f imo), like a day after the sound started cutting out and sounding hollow/distorted so after a bit of playing around I found it was the Y split on the cable that's playing up, yanked the single end of the cable and sound came back but I have about a cm of wire without the outer sheath and it works fine now (occasionally it goes out and I have to tug on the cable again to get it to work).

Only other problem now is they sound a somewhat worse than when I first got them (bright and clear vs a bit harsher with less clarity), sounded fine from both my s8 and laptop to begin with but now its a sibilant sizzle-fest with certain songs that sounded fine before. Chinese new years on so rather than wait to get a replacement I might see how much it costs to get them re-cabled instead and hopefully that fixes the problem. Other that that I prefer them to the a4 just because of the extra bit of sound-stage and detail so I plan on keeping them.

I need to get a better mobile source though so I should be grabbing a v30 soon (plus maybe a better dac for my laptop too).

Feb 16, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #1,663 of 1,906
Hey guys, got the keggs a few days ago and to begin with they sounded fine (not really that sibilant, compared to the lz a4 with the black or red b and blue f imo), like a day after the sound started cutting out and sounding hollow/distorted so after a bit of playing around I found it was the Y split on the cable that's playing up, yanked the single end of the cable and sound came back but I have about a cm of wire without the outer sheath and it works fine now (occasionally it goes out and I have to tug on the cable again to get it to work).

Only other problem now is they sound a somewhat worse than when I first got them (bright and clear vs a bit harsher with less clarity), sounded fine from both my s8 and laptop to begin with but now its a sibilant sizzle-fest with certain songs that sounded fine before. Chinese new years on so rather than wait to get a replacement I might see how much it costs to get them re-cabled instead and hopefully that fixes the problem. Other that that I prefer them to the a4 just because of the extra bit of sound-stage and detail so I plan on keeping them.

I need to get a better mobile source though so I should be grabbing a v30 soon (plus maybe a better dac for my laptop too).

Hi
welcome to head-fi :)
This is a tricky one as a number of people have reported sibilance issues with these iems - Myself and some others have sibilant free versions, in fact we believe they easily reach into the top tier of quality for a lot lower price. (I have an early release, silver with fixed cable) and they are superb
Im no expert on recabling but hopefully someone here will be able to advise further
Oh BTW, they need a good 400 hours burn in...!

Feb 17, 2018 at 2:49 AM Post #1,664 of 1,906
we believe they easily reach into the top tier of quality for a lot lower price. (I have an early release, silver with fixed cable) and they are superb
Agreed! JP, I see you have a couple DAPs, do you have a favorite when driving you SW3? My DX80 is probably in my top 3...
I might see how much it costs to get them re-cabled instead and hopefully that fixes the problem.
https://www.etsy.com/shop/ThePETEREK
This guy may be able to help. He does live in the US though, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to message him. He's also a fellow Head-Fier...

Feb 17, 2018 at 7:21 AM Post #1,665 of 1,906
Agreed! JP, I see you have a couple DAPs, do you have a favorite when driving you SW3? My DX80 is probably in my top 3...
:) I don't have a lot of experience with DAP's but this is more to do with being 100% satisfied with the DX80. I can hear & appreciate how you 'could' find 'better' sounding DAP's but the amount you would have to pay to improve upon the DX80 would be a LOT. I think pound for pound the DX80 is one of the best DAPs to hit the market in recent times. I only really use the DX80 for music listening. Other daps I only use for traveling or listening to audio books late of an 'eve

Ive been on quite a headphone journey this last year or so so I havent been listening to IEMs much although if you like the SW3 then the Trinity Icarus III will blow you away...in a similar way
https://thetechkaiju.com/2017/09/03/bus-ride-impression-trinity-audio-sagaris-icarus-iii/ :)

I will have another listen to the SW3 with my DX80 over the weekend

Users who are viewing this thread

Back