"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Jun 6, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #1,606 of 1,906
If you mean Super Audio Turbo Ear T7 hybrid IEM (1 dynamic speaker+6 armature speakers), then I can write a few words:)
In my opinion, the T7 IEMs are superior to the Shockwave III in almost all departments. While the Shockwave III model has somewhat V- or even W-shaped frequency response curve, the FR curve of the T7 is much flatter, with no significant drops or peaks (based on what I hear). The Shockwaves have a deeper low bass or an infra-bass as it is frequently called, the T7 bass is more of a mid-bass type. The Shockwave IIIs start to produce an audible sound (we are not talking about any accurate sound record reproduction, of course) at about 25 Hz, the T7 start to hum at about 40 Hz (I used a standalone hardware sound generator with adjustable frequency and volume). Again, on the topic of credibility of manufacturer specified FR numbers:) Both the Shockwave III and T7 lows are well controlled and are neither loose nor boomy, to my mind. The mids is where the T7s dominate-they are full-bodied, very detailed, contrary to somewhat sunken mids of the the Shockwave III model. I find the overall detail of the T7 also to be better than that of the the Shockwave III. Both models have a wide soundstage but the instrument separation of the T7 is better, I think. The T7 highs are less fatiguing, though they may be slightly less detailed compared to the the Shockwave III.
Actually, I find the Shockwave III great for their price but the peak at 8 kHz is just killing me (tried different eartips but they did not bring any significant changes, the only way to alleviate the problem I found was using an EQ). The T7 is much better for me, especially for long listening sessions. Also, I'm quite at home with the T7 bass and find it quite cool and punchy enough for any music, including brutal/technical death metal.
I use ibasso DX90 MM2 as a source, by the way:)

Does Super Audio Turbo Ear T7 have its own impression thread I can go over, read and study?

Jun 6, 2017 at 1:35 PM Post #1,607 of 1,906
If you mean Super Audio Turbo Ear T7 hybrid IEM (1 dynamic speaker+6 armature speakers), then I can write a few words:)
In my opinion, the T7 IEMs are superior to the Shockwave III in almost all departments. While the Shockwave III model has somewhat V- or even W-shaped frequency response curve, the FR curve of the T7 is much flatter, with no significant drops or peaks (based on what I hear). The Shockwaves have a deeper low bass or an infra-bass as it is frequently called, the T7 bass is more of a mid-bass type. The Shockwave IIIs start to produce an audible sound (we are not talking about any accurate sound record reproduction, of course) at about 25 Hz, the T7 start to hum at about 40 Hz (I used a standalone hardware sound generator with adjustable frequency and volume). Again, on the topic of credibility of manufacturer specified FR numbers:) Both the Shockwave III and T7 lows are well controlled and are neither loose nor boomy, to my mind. The mids is where the T7s dominate-they are full-bodied, very detailed, contrary to somewhat sunken mids of the the Shockwave III model. I find the overall detail of the T7 also to be better than that of the the Shockwave III. Both models have a wide soundstage but the instrument separation of the T7 is better, I think. The T7 highs are less fatiguing, though they may be slightly less detailed compared to the the Shockwave III.
Actually, I find the Shockwave III great for their price but the peak at 8 kHz is just killing me (tried different eartips but they did not bring any significant changes, the only way to alleviate the problem I found was using an EQ). The T7 is much better for me, especially for long listening sessions. Also, I'm quite at home with the T7 bass and find it quite cool and punchy enough for any music, including brutal/technical death metal.
Does Super Audio Turbo Ear T7 have its own impression thread I can go over, read and study?

I will make a couple of comments:

I have done a youtube bass test, and the SW III has made audible sound at 4 Hz.

A W-shaped sound (which the shockwave III has), by definition, means enhanced bass, forward mids and sparkly treble, at the cost of the intermediate regions between bass & mid and mis & treble being recessed. Mids are plenty forward on the SW III, but because you get so much detail on the bass and treble ends, you could get the impression that the mids are sunken, when in fact, it's just the extra work your brain has to do separating all the different frequencies.

Shockwave's are W-detail kings, as in they produce the detail in their enhanced regions very well, but are poor in the regions that are recessed.

Shockwave's are definitely fatiguing, no doubt.

Jun 13, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #1,609 of 1,906
Hi Guys! I'm interested on this IEM. How do you compare this with Dunu Hybrids? DN-2000j, DN-2002 abd DK-3001?

Thanks!

Hi egramos. I'm sorry I can't assist you with your question directly as I don't possess any Dunu Hybrids. FWIW I have got another multi driver hybrid 2BA + 2DD (push pull configuration) ~ Trinity audio PM4 .
I appreciate the Dunu brand has a really good reputation but I have to tell you the musicmaker SW3 are fantastic and give really lifelike lushious 3D listening experience.
I'm not a great reviewer nor do I know the correct terminology but if the Trinity PM4s were a car ~ they would be a Jaguar. But these are a much nicer refined ride so these would be a Rolls Royce.
I like both but these are a touch special . Close your eyes and the different instruments are distinct and placed separately all around you . I cant vouch for the Dunu s but I can these.
One thing to consider though is that many here search for good foam tips to try and calm the highs . This is an occasional slight imperfection that crops up periodically from my experience.
Anyway , good luck with further comparisons.

Jun 14, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #1,610 of 1,906
I do not own any of those Dunu's but have tried all you have mentioned (albeit not extensively) except for the 3001.

IMHO, the SWIII is better in separation and clarity. Bass is fantastic as well. As mentioned several times in this thread, its crucial to get the best tips to tame its highs. In my case, they were piercing with silicons but exceptional with foams. You might want to look for foams with narrow tips to get a very good seal to enjoy its exceptional bass to.

I'm thinking of getting the wide bore mandarins to get the best of both worlds. I have the regular mandarins and they wont fit sadly.

Jun 21, 2017 at 2:40 AM Post #1,611 of 1,906
I currently use a TFZ EXCLUSIVE KING, it is wonderful and I love it, but for classical music it could use better soundstage and instrument separation.
From what I have read, SWIII sounds promising. Does anyone have them both and can make a comparison? Thanks.

Jul 13, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #1,612 of 1,906
cool.gif
I absolutely agree. I think Half of the problems people have with the Keggers are the Result of trying to power them off a Phone (uuggghhh) or simply their source doesn't have enough juice. They LOVE Power.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN
I'm not going to comment on subjective experiences, but they're not even remotely power-hungry.

20ohm input impedance and 99dB sensitivity means you need just 40mW to get them to over 115dB. I don't know any modern output device that can't do 40mW at 20ohm.

Jul 14, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #1,613 of 1,906
No one said they were inefficient, but they DO require power to sound their BEST. BTW, my Class A Aune B1 only puts out 30mW unless you have a really high resistance like 320ohms.

TWIN

Jul 25, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #1,615 of 1,906
I did some tip and cable rolling with the SW III and here are my results.

Listener profile:
Bass mildly insensitive, prefers more bass than less bass, but must be clear and accurate
Mid forward preference
Treble mildly sensitive

I deep insert all my eartips.

Firstly, some of the stock tips included with the SW III seem to not fit the SW III very well. Could be the seller of the SW III (Banned Seller).

Tips: (With impressions)
Spinfit M:
My favorite silicone tip of the bunch. Enhanced bass and treble, but treble became slightly sibilant.

JVC Spiral Dot ML:
Bass and treble were both flattened, to the point where Bass started to lose punchiness.

Phillips UE (Look-alike) (Also known as the Stock Tips) M:
Very sibilant. Treble harsher than Spinfit, Bass slightly less than Spinfit.

Comply T400 L:
Reverse Orientation:
Bass was punchy and treble was slightly sibilant. Bass approached Spinfit levels (but slightly less forceful) and Treble was about the same as Spinfit.
Normal Orientation
Bass remained the same as in Reverse Orientation, but Treble was tamed moderately. This is my preferred eartip and orientation.

Comply T500 L
Reverse Orientation:
Bass was slightly less punchy than Reverse Orientation T400 but treble remained about the same. I think it's mostly due to the differences between the core material and hardness.
Normal Orientation:
Bass remained the same as in Reverse Orientation, but Treble was tamed moderately. I picked the T400 over this mainly due to bass differences in both orientations.

I did not try any of the other stock tips.

I then went on to try different cables. You could say that the major differences between cables lie in the Treble range, with no real change to the lower and middle ranges. That's how my ears perceive a difference.

And now for Cables.

Tennmak Pro Upgrade Cable:
This Cable tamed the treble the most. Sparkle was minimized. No wonder this cable is recommended for another sibilant IEM, the **** 4in1. It will help to tame the treble.

Stock SW III Silver Cable:
This Cable produced more treble than the Tennmak Pro Upgrade Cable. As I would soon find out, this cable produced the most sparkle with the exception of the Banned Seller 4 Core Sky Blue Cable. This would end up being my preferred cable with the Comply T400 eartips in Normal Orientation.

Banned Seller 4 Core Sky Blue Cable:
The treble monster out of my five cables. Also had the most cable noise as it was the stiffest cable. I realize what a good partner it was on the Tennmak Pro which has treble issues, but with the SW III, even with the treble reducing normal orientation Comply tips, it still was too sibilant for my ears.

Stock **** 4in1 Silver Cable:
This cable ended up being the middle of the road in terms of treble for my five cables. It produced slightly less treble than the Stock SW III Silver Cable, but it was somewhat noticeable to my ears.

Stock Tennmak Pro Cable:

WIth the added benefit of having a mic, this produced slightly more treble than the Tennmak Pro Upgrade Cable, but definitely less than the other three cables, even the Stock **** 4in1 Silver Cable. I honestly think Tennmak Pro with either of its paired cables are meant for treble reduction, those who are super sensitive to Treble should apply. For all others, the Tennmak cables are terrible matches for the Tennmak Pro. But I digress.

In terms of Treble, I would order them as follows in the direction of increasing treble:
Tennmak Pro Upgrade Cable -> Stock Tennmak Pro Cable -> Stock **** 4in1 Silver Cable -> Stock SW III Silver Cable -> Banned Seller 4 Core Sky Blue Cable

As you can see, my preferred tip / cable combination is the Comply T400 L Tips in Normal Orientation paired with the Stock SW III Silver Cable. However, as Comply tips are quickly used up, I may have to reverse their orientation to get more life out of them. If so, I'll switch to the Tennmak Pro Upgrade Cable. However, as eartips have more of an effect for perceived sound changes compared to the cable, I imagine that the bass will remain the same or similar, but the treble will still increase from my current configuration. (Possible Alternative Configuration: Comply T400 L Tips in Reverse Orientation paired with Tennmak Pro Upgrade Cable)

I hope this post helps others play around with their IEMs to find their most preferred configuration.

Thank you very much for your suggestions. Unfortunately I'm very sensitive to sibilants and this problem is REALLY ruining the pleasure of listening music with my wonderful shockwave. :frowning2: :frowning2:

I sincerely hope to solve you thanks to your experience.

Thank you very much !!!!

Jul 25, 2017 at 11:29 AM Post #1,616 of 1,906
Thank you very much for your suggestions. Unfortunately I'm very sensitive to sibilants and this problem is REALLY ruining the pleasure of listening music with my wonderful shockwave. :frowning2: :frowning2:

I sincerely hope to solve you thanks to your experience.

Thank you very much !!!!
My current cable and tip configuration is the Comply 500L tips in normal orientation + VE Red Junkosha 4-core cable terminated to 3.5mm TRRS (Balanced Out) + ifi Audio IEMatch set to Ultra + which connects to my Balanced DAC / Amp.

These babies love power, so hit them with your hardest hitting source.

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #1,617 of 1,906
My current cable and tip configuration is the Comply 500L tips in normal orientation + VE Red Junkosha 4-core cable terminated to 3.5mm TRRS (Balanced Out) + ifi Audio IEMatch set to Ultra + which connects to my Balanced DAC / Amp.

These babies love power, so hit them with your hardest hitting source.

Thanks so much!!!!
Why the T500? In your post you suggest the Comply T400 that I just bought !! :disappointed_relieved::disappointed_relieved:
As for the cable, I'm waiting the arrival of an 8-core cable, you think it can improve the situation ???
Where did you buy the Junkosha cable? Do you think it's worth buying it ???

Thank you so much for your advice and for your patience :slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:

Jul 25, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #1,618 of 1,906

I can assure you that the T7 hybrid headphones are not better than Shockwave III. I can say this because I asked to seller where I bought my Shockwave if he could recommend me the purchase of the T7.
The seller has honestly suggested not to buy them, because he himself considers the MusicMaker better. I remind you that the T7 model costs $ 100 more than the Shockwave III, so the seller had every interest in pushing the most expensive model purchase. Take your conclusions.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2017 at 2:59 AM Post #1,620 of 1,906
I can assure you that the T7 hybrid headphones are not better than Shockwave III. I can say this because I asked to seller where I bought my Shockwave if he could recommend me the purchase of the T7.
The seller has honestly suggested not to buy them, because he himself considers the MusicMaker better. I remind you that the T7 model costs $ 100 more than the Shockwave III, so the seller had every interest in pushing the most expensive model purchase. Take your conclusions.
Hi, L1nuss! Thanks for the info:) I judge based on my own listening experience and my high frequency/middle frequency peak phobia (so to speak). Maybe I should give the ShockWave III another try. Anyways, I'd recommend listening to both IEM models before making any conclusions. I don't question the benevolence and good intentions of the seller you talked with but he has his own preferences that may differ from yours. Moreover, I've ordered my T7 with a significant discount during the Aliexpress anniversary sale:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back