"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Apr 20, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #1,591 of 1,906
Everything I've read on the 1more quads doesn't necessarily suggest they are a worthwhile upgrade to the triples, whereas the ORIGINAL sw3 really seems to be an upgrade. But as we all know, in this hobby, everyone's hearing, or interpretation of what they're hearing, is highly subjective. If all of our brains interpreted audio the same, and there wasn't any preferences to, warmth, bass depth, soundstage, blah blah blah, then I guess it wouldn't be much fun. But man, it sure makes it's tough to decide what to purchase or try next. I've been lucky, and havnt bought too many items that I was really disappointed in. Most of the time is simply, satisfied for now, except a very few. I really would like to hear more comparisons of the sw3 to other well regarded iems. I'm sure there's enough folks here to chime in, help me!

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #1,592 of 1,906
They have been on my radar since 1more first announced them.. I had the hybrids but didn't go for the triples as I found that long metal standoff on the body that the cable connects to, gives me an awkward and uncomfortable fit. I find this also on the ATH ckr10. I'm glad to see they opted for a different build on the quads.

rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
TWIN

For some odd reason, the fit becomes very different when its worn over ear. 
bigsmile_face.gif

However, to achieve this, you might have to switch the left with the right 
basshead.gif

Apr 20, 2017 at 12:22 PM Post #1,593 of 1,906
For some odd reason, the fit becomes very different when its worn over ear. :bigsmile_face:

However, to achieve this, you might have to switch the left with the right :basshead:

I wear the triples over ear without reversing sides, works pretty well. And with the spiral dots they're fairly comfy

Apr 20, 2017 at 1:10 PM Post #1,594 of 1,906
Are there any double or triple flange tips available anywhere that are compatible with the shockwaves?

I get a good seal with standard silicones but they tend to slowly slide out for me.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-352-iems-compared-pump-audio-earphones-added-04-03-16-p-1106

I use that as an amazing resource for research on tips. Joker includes the nozzle size of each iem review.
So it's really handy. Sony Hybrid tips fit nicely on the Shockwaves so run a search for that nozzle size and voila, there are lots of options.
I just ordered the whole range of medium spinfit dual flange.

Apr 22, 2017 at 11:10 PM Post #1,595 of 1,906

These here are tips from a pair of Yammies, and they fit the Keggers beautifully! I would love to get my hands on a few more pairs, but sadly I don't think Yamaha makes them anymore.
The Shockwave and the Mojo is such a dynamic pairing! These iems love it when you feed them lots of juice, and powered by the Mojo you also get the added warmth these little devils desire..., such an in-your-face listen!

Apr 23, 2017 at 1:54 AM Post #1,596 of 1,906
I paired them with my LH Labs go2pro infinity.....its the most detailed ive ever heard, but its also the most fatiguing. One can only take so much detail lol.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Apr 23, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #1,597 of 1,906

These here are tips from a pair of Yammies, and they fit the Keggers beautifully! I would love to get my hands on a few more pairs, but sadly I don't think Yamaha makes them anymore.
The Shockwave and the Mojo is such a dynamic pairing! These iems love it when you feed them lots of juice, and powered by the Mojo you also get the added warmth these little devils desire..., such an in-your-face listen!

cool.gif
I absolutely agree. I think Half of the problems people have with the Keggers are the Result of trying to power them off a Phone (uuggghhh) or simply their source doesn't have enough juice. They LOVE Power.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Apr 24, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #1,599 of 1,906
I use them, but they don't fit as nicely as let's say a Shure, Tennmak Pro, MEE P1, etc.

They sorta fit over half my earlobe and then down the back of my ear.

Apr 27, 2017 at 4:38 PM Post #1,600 of 1,906
Just got some new Junkosha cables for them terminated in 3.5 TRRS to be used for the GO2Pro's balanced output.

These things do love power. Soundstage has widened and heightened. Bass is hitting heavier. Good ol' bridged amp sound.

At first it did sound weird, like everything became hollow, but that's because the room, in effect, became bigger.

May 7, 2017 at 10:49 PM Post #1,602 of 1,906
These kegs are power hungry. First time to try em on high gain with my x7 + am1 combo and it sings better. Bass is fuller and hits lower and deeper.

Now thinking of purchasing the am3 module to give it more juice.

May 11, 2017 at 2:52 PM Post #1,603 of 1,906
Any comparisons between the Turbo Ear T7 and the Shockwave III?

May 24, 2017 at 5:08 AM Post #1,604 of 1,906
Any comparisons between the Turbo Ear T7 and the Shockwave III?
If you mean Super Audio Turbo Ear T7 hybrid IEM (1 dynamic speaker+6 armature speakers), then I can write a few words:)
In my opinion, the T7 IEMs are superior to the Shockwave III in almost all departments. While the Shockwave III model has somewhat V- or even W-shaped frequency response curve, the FR curve of the T7 is much flatter, with no significant drops or peaks (based on what I hear). The Shockwaves have a deeper low bass or an infra-bass as it is frequently called, the T7 bass is more of a mid-bass type. The Shockwave IIIs start to produce an audible sound (we are not talking about any accurate sound record reproduction, of course) at about 25 Hz, the T7 start to hum at about 40 Hz (I used a standalone hardware sound generator with adjustable frequency and volume). Again, on the topic of credibility of manufacturer specified FR numbers:) Both the Shockwave III and T7 lows are well controlled and are neither loose nor boomy, to my mind. The mids is where the T7s dominate-they are full-bodied, very detailed, contrary to somewhat sunken mids of the the Shockwave III model. I find the overall detail of the T7 also to be better than that of the the Shockwave III. Both models have a wide soundstage but the instrument separation of the T7 is better, I think. The T7 highs are less fatiguing, though they may be slightly less detailed compared to the the Shockwave III.
Actually, I find the Shockwave III great for their price but the peak at 8 kHz is just killing me (tried different eartips but they did not bring any significant changes, the only way to alleviate the problem I found was using an EQ). The T7 is much better for me, especially for long listening sessions. Also, I'm quite at home with the T7 bass and find it quite cool and punchy enough for any music, including brutal/technical death metal.
I use ibasso DX90 MM2 as a source, by the way:)

May 27, 2017 at 12:46 PM Post #1,605 of 1,906
Just wanted to share...

As much as the k3p is a lot more comfy in terms of fit, I find myself listening more often to and with my SWIII.

The sparkle is just way above the K3P, not to mention the sub bass/rumble.

It's just so hard to get a good seal with these kegs.

I'm still waiting for my mandarins, will update this thread on how it will perform with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back