"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Aug 5, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #1,172 of 1,906
  Is there really a huge change after this many hours? I know that's what others are saying..., but man, I'd have to say I've found these remarkable right out of the box!

I cheated a little at the 200-hour mark, the bass texture is more "palpable" (if that makes sense), and the overall balance seems slightly better. The treble never troubled me from the start so I didn't notice a night and day difference after burn-in. The mids remain thinnish compared to the rest of the spectrum, but even then it's nitpicking. SW3 was never a midhead IEM. Soundstage and imaging remain stellar. For a bigger change I'd suggest tip-rolling. I've tried all the stock tips and Spiral Dots, eventually settled on stock white with red stem.

Aug 5, 2016 at 3:54 AM Post #1,173 of 1,906
Shockwave vs. MEE Pinnacle P1?

Different presentation altogether. P1 has a thin, neutral, airy, detailed and laid-back signature. Notes are light, extended and smooth. Best parts of the P1 for me are the treble and soundstage.

SW3 is altogether more aggressive with the lifted bass and treble, U-shaped, equally detailed and more engaging. Best parts of the SW3 are the subbass, soundstage and 3D imaging.

Both have their fans, for my preferences I prefer the SW3, and have sold the P1 months ago.

Aug 5, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #1,174 of 1,906
Has anyone tried the SW3s with the Dragonfly Red? Wonder if it is a good combo for on the go. 

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:35 PM Post #1,176 of 1,906
If I'm using iPhone 6 as my source, would the SW3 still sound better than the TK12? Or am I better off going with the TK12?

Thanks

Haven't heard the TK12, but the SW3 is very easy to drive. Sounds just as good from an iPhone compared to other DAPs.

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:39 PM Post #1,178 of 1,906
Err when you jump ship into iPhone
biggrin.gif

My sister's phone. :p

Aug 14, 2016 at 3:50 AM Post #1,180 of 1,906
Just in case anyone is interested in another fine multi BA IEM offering from China, my 6BA Super Audio 6 is for sale. Even at its original price of $250 it provides unbelievable value.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/817193/fs-super-audio-6-free-shipping

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #1,181 of 1,906
cool.gif
I can't wait to hear Lurk's input. He is probably being spoiled by those new Full sized cans though.....

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
TWIN

Aug 14, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #1,183 of 1,906
Why do you want sell it?

Want to fund the Phantom Master 6 or Hunter. Also bcos the signature reminds me of the A12 but a tier below, so I'd like to try something new.

Aug 15, 2016 at 2:49 AM Post #1,184 of 1,906
Want to fund the Phantom Master 6 or Hunter. Also bcos the signature reminds me of the A12 but a tier below, so I'd like to try something new.

So your SW3 is your best low-end IEM in your collection just now ?
Also, you don't equate more drivers with better sound always, though its usually the case with the top players ?

Aug 15, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #1,185 of 1,906

So your SW3 is your best low-end IEM in your collection just now ?
Also, you don't equate more drivers with better sound always, though its usually the case with the top players ?

I like to collect based on signatures, and SW3 has that unforgettable subbass and imaging which is amazing regardless of price and number of drivers. Of course the more the drivers the more attention it garners, look at Zeus! But I'm perfectly fine as long as the sound fits me. I do have a thing for dynamic bass though, hence an interest with hybrids. The SW3 is far from low-end in my collection, I have a few KZs which still get play time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back