"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Jul 8, 2016 at 12:31 AM Post #946 of 1,906
  As I thought the keggers sound much better with fiio cable than with the stock. More body, impact sound is fuller and treble is awesome a bit tamed but extended and bright. these don't sound thin anymore.

That would be going from SPC MMCX detachable cable to pure copper Fiio ?

Jul 8, 2016 at 1:59 AM Post #947 of 1,906
http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/FiiO-RC-SE1-Replacement-Cable-Shure-Ultimate-Ears-Westone-NEW-/221798806464?nav=SEARCH

To this cable. People could think is a cheap cable in fact it is but having had many expensive cables the fiio remains as one of my favourites.

With this cable it blows my fischer amps rhapsody which are impressive.

Jul 8, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #948 of 1,906
  As I thought the keggers sound much better with fiio cable than with the stock. More body, impact sound is fuller and treble is awesome a bit tamed but extended and bright. these don't sound thin anymore.

cool.gif
THIN never crossed my mind in regards to the EQ of my Pair of Shockwaves. Mine have the Stock "Fixed" cable. Silver

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Jul 8, 2016 at 4:25 PM Post #949 of 1,906
I think my mobile Jiayu G4 is struggling to power these to their potential. Even at full volume, I want it louder!

Can anyone recommend:

1) mobile phone with quality amp / dac - I am looking at the LG V10 as the standout from the crowd device
2) dedicated music player

What are you guys all using?

Jul 8, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #950 of 1,906
I think my mobile Jiayu G4 is struggling to power these to their potential. Even at full volume, I want it louder!

Can anyone recommend:

1) mobile phone with quality amp / dac - I am looking at the LG V10 as the standout from the crowd device

I use the LG V10 with the SW3 and its a great combo. With the Hifi dac activated i never exceed 50 % volume. That said you will probably get even better outcome with a Mojo or a similar quality dac.
I love the LG V10 with the SW3 :)

Jul 8, 2016 at 9:18 PM Post #951 of 1,906

Can anyone recommend:

I use them with my Dragonfly Red DAC//amp and WOW do they sound good. If you want an all in one solution, the V10 above is a great suggestions. But if you want to keep your current phone, add a DFR to it and you will be very pleased. 

-Collin-

Jul 8, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #952 of 1,906
I don't have the SW3 but have the LG V10 and it's ok power wise. You can do the AUX trick, plug in a headphone extender to activate the Hifi Amp, then plug in the SW3. This gives more power. The Hifi DAC alone is Ok IMO.

As far as a player I'd say the Rockboxed version of the Xduoo X3 would be good. I "upgraded" to the Fiio X3II

Jul 8, 2016 at 9:51 PM Post #953 of 1,906
I use them with my Dragonfly Red DAC//amp and WOW do they sound good. If you want an all in one solution, the V10 above is a great suggestions. But if you want to keep your current phone, add a DFR to it and you will be very pleased. 

-Collin-

I use Tidal Hifi streaming/downloaded to my phone so i can't use the DFR. Its sad that its not working properly with android. I have only read good things about it and the size is perfect.

Jul 8, 2016 at 11:03 PM Post #955 of 1,906
I'm sorry Stenog but 50% volume with just the Hifi DAC activated is barely even audible

Lol we are all different! At volume 35 its very loud for me, at 40 i will loose my hearing within a week. Max output is 75. What is your source ? Albums on Tidal Hifi has different output, sometimes i have to adjust the volume up or down. Be careful of tinitus!

Jul 8, 2016 at 11:42 PM Post #956 of 1,906
Argh, damn Android. If this could be resolved, then the DFR would literally be the end game of a DAC/amp solution. But, alas, you guys are right. UAPP makes it pretty clunky and nearly impossible with offline content. 

-Collin-

Jul 9, 2016 at 12:44 AM Post #957 of 1,906
Lol we are all different! At volume 35 its very loud for me, at 40 i will loose my hearing within a week. Max output is 75. What is your source ? Albums on Tidal Hifi has different output, sometimes i have to adjust the volume up or down. Be careful of tinitus!

I have the V10. I use whatever mp3 and FLAC files on my phone and also Spotify. I don't listen to my phone for music, only to test out new gear. I'm about 60-75 on the volume. Depending on the IEM and brightness of the song

Jul 9, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #959 of 1,906
I rarely use Spotify but i just did an a/b with Tidal. The volume output is lower on Spotify. 30 on Tidal equals 40 on Spotify. I have never thought about that. But still 75 ...
smily_headphones1.gif

What about stock player? I also just downloaded AiMP player tonight but it sounds exactly the same. Everybody talks about Neutron and other apps that require purchasing but I didn't care for them

Jul 9, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #960 of 1,906
Would be interesting to know how the dragonfly compares to my Zuperdac.. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back