"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Jul 4, 2016 at 12:26 PM Post #931 of 1,906
Thanks.
Lurk650 king of the toneking.

Haha yes. USPS actually updated to say delivery is today for the T71. We shall see though since it's a holiday. Either way I work til 8pm so won't get to try them til after

Jul 4, 2016 at 6:23 PM Post #932 of 1,906
Haha yes. USPS actually updated to say delivery is today for the T71. We shall see though since it's a holiday. Either way I work til 8pm so won't get to try them til after

Working on the 4th? Come on man :)

Since we live in the same city, we need to get together with our combined collection of 20+ IEMs and write a review. 

-Collin-

Jul 4, 2016 at 7:13 PM Post #933 of 1,906
Working on the 4th? Come on man :)

Since we live in the same city, we need to get together with our combined collection of 20+ IEMs and write a review. 

-Collin-

Safeway in Mountain View on San Antonio. No update about delivery from USPS so I guess i was right they wouldn't come. Oh well, tomorrow is work from 9-5

Jul 4, 2016 at 9:35 PM Post #934 of 1,906
@ezekiel77 try some Disclosure tracks and Calvin Harris new song with Rihanna. Excellent stereo imaging and sub bass

I love the separation in these. Every element of the music has its own space. Notes are thin, limber and very detailed. The soundstage is quite big but it's the separation and imaging that is impressing the heck outta me now. Bass is very good with the layering done right. The treble might need some taming but it's not as sharp as I anticipated.

The weakest part is the mids. Vocals have a nasal quality to it and piano/strings/guitar lack some sweetness. Mids not really recessed but not as prominent as the bass or treble. I can see why JimHCK said many of his buyers switched from SW3 to the QT5 for a fuller sound. The QT5 brings another set of problems though, but that's another story.

Overall, a superbly enjoyable U-shaped signature. I'll see what burn-in has to offer. These are OOTB impressions with about 3-4 hours listening time.

Thanks for the track suggestions. I'm a rock/jazz kinda dude but EDM really brings out the bass.

Jul 4, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #936 of 1,906
I heard some nasalness in the mids at first, after extensive burn in I haven't heard nasal mids with the kegs
In months.

Something to look forward to. 
rolleyes.gif
 But man, 350 hours is 2 weeks!

Jul 5, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #938 of 1,906
cool.gif
Well if you prefer to just listen to them, If You have a 6 hour listening session EVERY Day, it will take you 58 Days. (2 months) to get 350 hours on them.

Then report back to us....

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
TWIN

Jul 5, 2016 at 6:08 PM Post #939 of 1,906
Just got mine and have been listening for 30 minutes or so and HOLY MOTHER these things sound good. Wow, I am impressed. I immediately put my trusty JVC Spiral Dots on them and fired up Tidal through my laptop and FiiO E17 and wow, I'm blown away. Crystal clear highs, clear mids, and STRONG bass, wow. The bass, I just love. Reminds me of my Sony XBA-A3s, but a bit brighter up top. I'm impressed. Obviously I need a lot more time with them, but I hear no trouble areas and the fit, while they look a bit ridiculous, is fantastic. Consider me a happy camper coming from QT5 to these. Wow. 

-Collin-

Jul 6, 2016 at 3:30 AM Post #940 of 1,906
Right? Right? Haha.

For me the bass and separation/imaging can compete amongst the very best.

Jul 6, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #942 of 1,906
  Just got mine and have been listening for 30 minutes or so and HOLY MOTHER these things sound good. Wow, I am impressed. I immediately put my trusty JVC Spiral Dots on them and fired up Tidal through my laptop and FiiO E17 and wow, I'm blown away. Crystal clear highs, clear mids, and STRONG bass, wow. The bass, I just love. Reminds me of my Sony XBA-A3s, but a bit brighter up top. I'm impressed. Obviously I need a lot more time with them, but I hear no trouble areas and the fit, while they look a bit ridiculous, is fantastic. Consider me a happy camper coming from QT5 to these. Wow. 

-Collin-

cool.gif
Glad You like them Collin. We wouldn't steer you wrong. They actually do get MUCH better. The recommended burn in is a HUGE 350 Hours. According to many reviews on Tao Bao this is the point at which they Mature, and from my own experience it's true. You can actually hear the changes as they progress.  Mine have +500 hours on them now. The Sub Bass is the lowest extension I have heard on any IEM to date. (of course I haven't heard ALL of them but....). It rivals my home theater Sub. They also have Bass, but because they have a crossover network inside them, the Bass is only apparent when it's present in your source music. It's not a consumer oriented enhanced bass like many of the IEMs from China. In fact their little brother the Musicmaker TK12 has an enhanced Bass.

Burn that sucker in. They are truly TOTL performance earphones.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Jul 6, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #943 of 1,906

cool.gif
Glad You like them Collin. We wouldn't steer you wrong. They actually do get MUCH better. The recommended burn in is a HUGE 350 Hours. According to many reviews on Tao Bao this is the point at which they Mature, and from my own experience it's true. You can actually hear the changes as they progress.  Mine have +500 hours on them now. The Sub Bass is the lowest extension I have heard on any IEM to date. (of course I haven't heard ALL of them but....). It rivals my home theater Sub. They also have Bass, but because they have a crossover network inside them, the Bass is only apparent when it's present in your source music. It's not a consumer oriented enhanced bass like many of the IEMs from China. In fact their little brother the Musicmaker TK12 has an enhanced Bass.

Burn that sucker in. They are truly TOTL performance earphones.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

350 hours!!! I will have gray hair and a full beard by then! Okay, I will keep burning them in every night as you suggest :)

-Collin-

Jul 7, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #945 of 1,906
As I thought the keggers sound much better with fiio cable than with the stock. More body, impact sound is fuller and treble is awesome a bit tamed but extended and bright. these don't sound thin anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back