"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Apr 15, 2016 at 8:45 PM Post #331 of 1,906

cool.gif
Cool.

Those are the Folks who think KZ is TOTL sound,

Some of those KZ KILL for their price.
In that sense they are top of their price tier.

It seems some of the Chinese break-out companies are racing into the 'through-the-nose' western price tiers way too fast.
They are neither established or widely enough known and the bargain hunting pricing is gone like with this one into the $350 pricing range for those that don't know it can be had for around $250.
So maybe that is why the thread is not so hot vs a KZ thread streaming new pages off by the day.

Apr 15, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #334 of 1,906
  It's all in the pricing. I'd be thrilled to review these, but I just can't spend the money on them at the moment.

Yep, I'm sure the designer would be carried into the limelight with a lot of buzz if they were listed at $199 with a further discounts to H-fi members. He is throttling his own path to success.

Apr 15, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #335 of 1,906
Yep, I'm sure the designer would be carried into the limelight with a lot of buzz if they were listed at $199 with a further discounts to H-fi members. He is throttling his own path to success.
i hear ya bud, it must be hard to make a 1+4 iem though. A few other companies make similar combinations, even dual dynamic and multiple BA and they cost wayyy more than the Keggers. At $199 I'd buy 10 of them! Lol

Apr 16, 2016 at 3:51 AM Post #336 of 1,906
Lohb sounds like you are taking offense to my statement about the KZ. It would be unfounded for me to slight them by comparison, IF I didn't own almost every model of KZ made. I'm well aware of their capabilities. They are great for budget IEMs , yes some of them are actually quite good (especially the original ANV model which coincidentally is being priced OUT of the Budget range), but I stand by my comment. They can't compare to better quality earphones. But I also realize some don't have the expendable cash I do to take the next steps (I don't Either :rolleyes:). But I've also recommended KZ to newbies and those without resources as they are very good for what they are.

That being Said:

Even at $350 the Shockwave is a bargain. At $ 250 its simply a crime of theft. It just keeps improving the more Hours you have on it. Yes I realize it could just be Audio Memory but they just seem to smooth out a little at +400 Hours.

The KZ thread will always be more active. There are many more who will spend $15 for an earphone than those who will pop +$200. That kind of $$$ even makes me wince.

:cool: :cool: TWIN

Apr 16, 2016 at 4:37 AM Post #337 of 1,906
I received mine a couple of days ago and I already love them!
I'm not that good at describing sound, but "massive" is definitely a word that comes to mind when I listen to them.
These are certainly worth the money. The build quality is superb and there are a truckload of tips included 
biggrin.gif

Thank you all for making me discover these beauties!!!
Now back to listening 
beyersmile.png

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #338 of 1,906
I find my Keggers really need amping, they can be run with my fiio x5 but then they become really tip dependent.
Under power them and you need tip rolling to alleviate the spike in the sibilance zone. But when I amp them with my O2 the spike is tamed and it's game on.

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #339 of 1,906
  I received mine a couple of days ago and I already love them!
I'm not that good at describing sound, but "massive" is definitely a word that comes to mind when I listen to them.
These are certainly worth the money. The build quality is superb and there are a truckload of tips included 
biggrin.gif

Thank you all for making me discover these beauties!!!
Now back to listening 
beyersmile.png

They are pretty awesome. Dat bass, right? :)

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:23 AM Post #341 of 1,906
I find my Keggers really need amping, they can be run with my fiio x5 but then they become really tip dependent.
Under power them and you need tip rolling to alleviate the spike in the sibilance zone. But when I amp them with my O2 the spike is tamed and it's game on.

cool.gif
Skully, I'm finding almost every Hybrid needs amping to reach full potential. The TK12's THRIVE on it. For some reason I'm finding that generally BA drivers that produce treble will sound "Off" or even "Metallic" as Tamal put it, without sufficient power and NOT just the Shockwaves either.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:29 AM Post #342 of 1,906

They are pretty awesome. Dat bass, right? :)

beerchug.gif
The Bass is fairly well controlled and unobtrusive, it only really appears when needed (crossovers), but That SUB-EXTENSION!!!! It rivals any Home theater Sub I've heard and mine is one of the better ones (B&W). The only thing it lacks is the "Pounding in your Chest" you get from a System Sub.

ksc75smile.gif
ksc75smile.gif
TWIN

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #343 of 1,906

cool.gif
Skully, I'm finding almost every Hybrid needs amping to reach full potential. The TK12's THRIVE on it. For some reason I'm finding that generally BA drivers that produce treble will sound "Off" or even "Metallic" as Tamal put it, without sufficient power and NOT just the Shockwaves either.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Same with some planar magnetic headphones. T50-RP can sound plasticky if not powered right. Give them the headroom they deserve as that is what it is about, avoiding taxing out weak amping sources.

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #344 of 1,906
:cool: Skully, I'm finding almost every Hybrid needs amping to reach full potential. The TK12's THRIVE on it. For some reason I'm finding that generally BA drivers that produce treble will sound "Off" or even "Metallic" as Tamal put it, without sufficient power and NOT just the Shockwaves either.

:beerchug: :beerchug: TWIN
yep, but usually i find the X5 is enough juice for other hybrids.
The Kegs are power hungry like none other.

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #345 of 1,906

cool.gif

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Nailed it!
All the good hybrid IEM's I have shine with good power.
The original AKG3003 is a great example of this; which originally had a retail price of $1,000 BTW.
SQ gets much more balanced and full with amping.
Found even some single DD / Micro Driver IEM's need power to sound best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back