"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Apr 16, 2016 at 2:19 PM Post #346 of 1,906
Lohb sounds like you are taking offense to my statement about the KZ. It would be unfounded for me to slight them by comparison, IF I didn't own almost every model of KZ made. I'm well aware of their capabilities. They are great for budget IEMs , yes some of them are actually quite good (especially the original ANV model which coincidentally is being priced OUT of the Budget range), but I stand by my comment. They can't compare to better quality earphones. But I also realize some don't have the expendable cash I do to take the next steps (I don't Either
rolleyes.gif
). But I've also recommended KZ to newbies and those without resources as they are very good for what they are.

That being Said:

Even at $350 the Shockwave is a bargain. At $ 250 its simply a crime of theft. It just keeps improving the more Hours you have on it. Yes I realize it could just be Audio Memory but they just seem to smooth out a little at +400 Hours.

The KZ thread will always be more active. There are many more who will spend $15 for an earphone than those who will pop +$200. That kind of $$$ even makes me wince.

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

What's the best choice?  Pinnacle P1 $199.99 or SW III. $240 ?

Apr 16, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #347 of 1,906
:grinning: I have no experience with the pinnacle P1, unfortunately, so I can't make a comparison or opinion.

TWIN

Apr 16, 2016 at 10:57 PM Post #348 of 1,906
I don't own the P1 either but the review I read says the dynamic driver of the P1 lacks the sub bass that the single dynamic and quad BA drivers of the keggers posess. Obviously the keggers are far from portable, I can't even get up from my chair while listening to them. (pun intended).

Apr 16, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #350 of 1,906
I don't own the P1 either but the review I read says the dynamic driver of the P1 lacks the sub bass that the single dynamic and quad BA drivers of the keggers posess. Obviously the keggers are far from portable, I can't even get up from my chair while listening to them. (pun intended).

:grinning: Now THAT'S Heavy Metal.....

:smiling_imp::smiling_imp:. TWIN

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #352 of 1,906
  Yes, very impressive Twin, you turned my double entendre (sound quality and drinking a whole keg o' beer) to a triple entendre.

Quad entendre, sound quality, drinkin a whole keg, silver and metals being too heavy to let me stand up with the keggers in ear, and of course heavy metal the genre.
Wow

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:23 AM Post #353 of 1,906
  What's the best choice?  Pinnacle P1 $199.99 or SW III. $240 ?

Speaking as someone who has the P1, SW3, SW3 is a better crowd pleaser than the P1, but they both have their place. 

For a quick comparison between the 2:

Bass: SW3 has far more bass presence than the P1. It reaches deeper without significant mid-bass bloat, it's actually pretty nice and will frankly only leave bassheads wanting (something that only the aurisonics harmony or the ASG-2.5 would satisfy haha). P1 is not bass-light, but is definitely less than the SW3 by a big margin. The sub-bass isn't that present, but the mid-bass it brings adds a hint of warmth to what would otherwise be a very cold signature. If you like having a fair amount of bass presence, then SW3 wins by far.

Mids: They both don't have any veil over the midrange, nor do they have any bass bleed into the mids, but the thing that irks me about the SW3 is the upper midrange spike... It's different from the oriveti primacy's midrange spike, which actually is very pleasant as it adds detail to the otherwise incredibly smooth and laid back mids; the SW3's spike on the other hand just feels out of place, but smooths over abit the more you listen to it, but is still there if you listen for it. Otherwise the SW3 is a V shaped IEM, but the mids don't actually feel like they take a huge step back as they are still very clear, though still very much V shaped.The P1's mids are only very slightly brought forward; not in the same manner that shure's do, but rather similar to the Noble savant's; it brings a slight emphasis to both male and female vocals, which is very nice.

Highs: Both the IEMs have more emphasis in the upper frequencies than the mids, but both are rolled off to allow for more fatigue-free listening. The P1's highs roll off later than the SW3's, so the P1's are noticeably more resolving, but their high presence is not enough to make them shrill and sibilant, but they do come across as bright, and definitely brighter than the SW3's, though still quite smooth nonetheless.

The soundstage of the SW3 is larger than the P1's so that's something to note. 

Ultimately, if you like brighter more detailed IEMs with less bass presence, P1 is the one to get. If you enjoy bassier IEMs that are V shaped, you definitely won't be disappointed with the SW3. 

Ugh this is why I don't like posting too much here; I wanted to write something quick in like, 20 seconds and it turned into this... haha

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:45 AM Post #354 of 1,906
It's great, I wouldn't disagree with any of the above about the Shockwave. Nice piece of wiriting
  Speaking as someone who has the P1, SW3, SW3 is a better crowd pleaser than the P1, but they both have their place. 

For a quick comparison between the 2:

Bass: SW3 has far more bass presence than the P1. It reaches deeper without significant mid-bass bloat, it's actually pretty nice and will frankly only leave bassheads wanting (something that only the aurisonics harmony or the ASG-2.5 would satisfy haha). P1 is not bass-light, but is definitely less than the SW3 by a big margin. The sub-bass isn't that present, but the mid-bass it brings adds a hint of warmth to what would otherwise be a very cold signature. If you like having a fair amount of bass presence, then SW3 wins by far.

Mids: They both don't have any veil over the midrange, nor do they have any bass bleed into the mids, but the thing that irks me about the SW3 is the upper midrange spike... It's different from the oriveti primacy's midrange spike, which actually is very pleasant as it adds detail to the otherwise incredibly smooth and laid back mids; the SW3's spike on the other hand just feels out of place, but smooths over abit the more you listen to it, but is still there if you listen for it. Otherwise the SW3 is a V shaped IEM, but the mids don't actually feel like they take a huge step back as they are still very clear, though still very much V shaped.The P1's mids are only very slightly brought forward; not in the same manner that shure's do, but rather similar to the Noble savant's; it brings a slight emphasis to both male and female vocals, which is very nice.

Highs: Both the IEMs have more emphasis in the upper frequencies than the mids, but both are rolled off to allow for more fatigue-free listening. The P1's highs roll off later than the SW3's, so the P1's are noticeably more resolving, but their high presence is not enough to make them shrill and sibilant, but they do come across as bright, and definitely brighter than the SW3's, though still quite smooth nonetheless.

The soundstage of the SW3 is larger than the P1's so that's something to note. 

Ultimately, if you like brighter more detailed IEMs with less bass presence, P1 is the one to get. If you enjoy bassier IEMs that are V shaped and very pleasant to listen to with many many genre's, you definitely won't be disappointed with the SW3. 

Ugh this is why I don't like posting too much here; I wanted to write something quick in like, 20 seconds and it turned into this... haha

Glad you took the time to compare! I wouldn't disagree with any of the above about the Keggers. I have been raving about a spike in the upper mid area of the keggers since day one.
Are you using a powerful headphone amp to power the keggers? I find a powerful headphone amp makes them much less tip dependant and that spike is gone. (200 hours burn in as well).

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:54 AM Post #355 of 1,906
For home use I'm using the Schiit Lyr; the slight tube-ness to the sound helps me smooth over that spike abit. For on the go, specifically with the SW3 I like the Shozy Lancea with the Headamp Pico Slim; the pico slim simply to help me deal with the volume since it's a very transparent amp, but the shozy lancea's DSP mediates the midrange spike as well as smooths over the entire frequency range, it's pretty nice. I pretty much exclusively use this dac with the SW3, as even the chord mojo brings out that spike to my dismay.

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:30 AM Post #357 of 1,906
Yep at over 400 hours I have zero mid spike. In all fairness maybe it's due to my age, I never heard a mid spike in the first place. If there was one it was nothing compared to the spike in the DQSM or Macaw RT10.

:grinning::grinning: TWIN

Apr 17, 2016 at 12:13 PM Post #358 of 1,906
Mine is there but only annoys me if I listen for it.
At first listen ootb, before burn in, months ago it was a massive spike. Now it's very, very small (almost unnoticeable) with the same tips, same everything. Weird huh?
Not a deal breaker but for me it's the only thing I dont like about the keggers' sonics.

Apr 17, 2016 at 7:37 PM Post #360 of 1,906

With tips that are as wide bore as the Keggers themselves, spike tamed.

:grinning: Funny. I absolutely Hate those tips. They make everything I have ever put them on sound like crap. I now just throw them away. Wierd huh? I still have a few pairs of them in my drawer, maybe I will try them just for giggles. But I doubt They will work for me.

:grinning::grinning: TWIN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back