"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Mar 16, 2016 at 8:36 PM Post #211 of 1,906
Don't know if someone responded to this, but now a few more people have it, so - someone mentioned earlier that the S3 doesn't really work well out of something like a phone, but how bad is it? I mean, how much of the performance and SQ gets lost? I mean, I've had IEMs that have benefited from amping, but are these simply a no-go without amp?

The reason I ask is that I sometimes tend to listen to Spotify through my phone on the way to work. I've tried amping it via my NX1, but I tend to get interference from the cell signal, since the music is streamed over 4G, at least most of the time, and that's kind of annoying. It might be the interconnect cable that catches the interference as well, I suppose, but I haven't really found a good, cheap-ish amping solution that works well out of my phone.. 

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #212 of 1,906
2016 MrZ Shock Wave III Music Maker III 5 Units 4 BA With DD In Ear Earphone DA Hybrid 5 Unit Headphones DIY HIFI Hi-End Headset

I'm a new member and reading through all the reviews about the S3 I have finally ordered it with easy. As suggested in previous posts, I wrote to easy and got mine for usd249. Looking forward to trying it with my fiio x5ii and e12a.

Mar 18, 2016 at 7:51 AM Post #213 of 1,906
  Don't know if someone responded to this, but now a few more people have it, so - someone mentioned earlier that the S3 doesn't really work well out of something like a phone, but how bad is it? I mean, how much of the performance and SQ gets lost? I mean, I've had IEMs that have benefited from amping, but are these simply a no-go without amp?

The reason I ask is that I sometimes tend to listen to Spotify through my phone on the way to work. I've tried amping it via my NX1, but I tend to get interference from the cell signal, since the music is streamed over 4G, at least most of the time, and that's kind of annoying. It might be the interconnect cable that catches the interference as well, I suppose, but I haven't really found a good, cheap-ish amping solution that works well out of my phone.. 

cool.gif
Most of these multi driver Earphones are harder to drive because more drivers = more resistance. You may have to invest in a DAP, or find 'phones with 16 Ohm resistances.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Mar 18, 2016 at 8:01 AM Post #214 of 1,906

cool.gif
Most of these multi driver Earphones are harder to drive because more drivers = more resistance. You may have to invest in a DAP, or find 'phones with 16 Ohm resistances.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Still, 20 ohm is not much, and a phone should be able to manage that, unless the impedance varies a lot with the frequency. One should also consider the sensitivity, and at 99 db/mw it is quite low in these earphones. 

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #215 of 1,906

cool.gif

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

I assume that they would still be able to drive from a phone when it comes to volume, but the question is how much SQ you lose with these..

Mar 18, 2016 at 10:31 AM Post #216 of 1,906
  Still, 20 ohm is not much, and a phone should be able to manage that, unless the impedance varies a lot with the frequency. One should also consider the sensitivity, and at 99 db/mw it is quite low in these earphones. 

cool.gif
Right. That sensitivity is also a factor, you need more power to drive it to a Given volume. Personally I wouldn't dream of using a Phone to listen to music. I like my players.

BTW I thought the Shockwave was 32 Ohm?

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Mar 20, 2016 at 4:02 AM Post #218 of 1,906
Bought my pair from taobao after reading this thread.. am reading happy with the SQ... only gripe is that mine is a cable replaceable, sound gets cut off intermittenly when turning/moving the cable/connector

Mar 20, 2016 at 5:14 AM Post #219 of 1,906
Bought my pair from taobao after reading this thread.. am reading happy with the SQ... only gripe is that mine is a cable replaceable, sound gets cut off intermittenly when turning/moving the cable/connector

Noted.
Bit of a downer at that price to have wonky ports.

Mar 20, 2016 at 5:22 AM Post #220 of 1,906
Mar 20, 2016 at 11:33 AM Post #221 of 1,906

My kegs; above are the Joyroom 107s for size comparison.
Despite the rather large size, the M3s are pretty light so eartip seal is not a problem, even without the supports.
They went straight to the burner after confirming they worked properly where they will cycle for the next couple weeks...maybe I'll take a sneak listen in a couple more days.

Mar 21, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #224 of 1,906

Noted.
Bit of a downer at that price to have wonky ports.

cool.gif
It shouldn't be but there are problems even at very high end stuff. Just look at the Huge Sennheiser IE8 thread. There were reports of one side or the other cutting out and They Listed for $699.
Unfortunately it happens. Hopefully this is just a rare isolated incident as the reviews on Taobao don't reflect any mechanical problems that I can tell.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Mar 21, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #225 of 1,906
cool.gif
maguire, the pictures are deceiving. Here is a Pic of their Little brother TK12, (WHICH IS SLIGHTLY LARGER),  in my ear. They aren't bad at all.

200x200px-ZC-1e1c5f29_HCKinEar007.jpeg

And SO worth the sound. I NOW have 260 Hours burn In on them and I've been able to control myself without sneaking a listen. Only 90 more to go. I'm going all the way to 350 like the reviews indicate.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back