"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Feb 8, 2017 at 7:07 PM Post #1,471 of 1,906
Well, this is where it gets a bit tricky. Both myself & Twin think the SW3 is . . . in a word Phenomenal - having many aspects that come very close to $1000+ IEM's
Personally I find the IT03 to be a Very good hybrid monitor, coming in at the top of its class
In terms of preference. The SW3 is warmer, more fun, in some ways less analytical but with an amazing 3D holographic soundstage. The It03 I find to be on the other scale
of this. They are both highly recommended but which you prefer will come down to
a, which type of sound you like
b, buying an older version of the SW3
The tricky thing is that some people here seem to have a later production model of the SW3 which is giving some sibilance issues. Not sure precisely why :frowning2:
Personally I find the SW3 to be an end game iem for me. I have NO burning desire to upgrade from the sound they give. I can appreciate that there are 'better' sounding
items out there but I think way beyond my budget to beat the SW3!
Anyway, to answer your question... No, the it03 does not match the sub bass depth or soundstage of the SW3 BUT this doesn't mean in any way that the IT03 is lacking either!
What tips do you hear sibilance with?

Feb 8, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #1,472 of 1,906

Well, this is where it gets a bit tricky. Both myself & Twin think the SW3 is . . . in a word Phenomenal - having many aspects that come very close to $1000+ IEM's
Personally I find the IT03 to be a Very good hybrid monitor, coming in at the top of its class
In terms of preference. The SW3 is warmer, more fun, in some ways less analytical but with an amazing 3D holographic soundstage. The It03 I find to be on the other scale
of this. They are both highly recommended but which you prefer will come down to
a, which type of sound you like
b, buying an older version of the SW3
The tricky thing is that some people here seem to have a later production model of the SW3 which is giving some sibilance issues. Not sure precisely why
frown.gif

Personally I find the SW3 to be an end game iem for me. I have NO burning desire to upgrade from the sound they give. I can appreciate that there are 'better' sounding
items out there but I think way beyond my budget to beat the SW3!
Anyway, to answer your question... No, the it03 does not match the sub bass depth or soundstage of the SW3 BUT this doesn't mean in any way that the IT03 is lacking either!

What tips do you hear sibilance with?

I made a big post about it here, a few pages back..

http://www.head-fi.org/t/799866/ear-kegs-musicmaker-phantom-iii-shockwave-iii-appreciation-impressions/1455#post_13198935

Feb 9, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #1,473 of 1,906
Where can I get the KZ foam tips? I currently use a comply in L, are the sizes similar?

Feb 9, 2017 at 12:19 AM Post #1,474 of 1,906
:cool: VERY nice Jon. Very informative.

The SWIII continue to impress daily. I have dozens of those KZ type foamies around and have never tried them. I think I will A/B them against my trusted Auvios.

:beerchug: :beerchug: TWIN

Have any large KZ foam tips that you're willing to send off?

Feb 9, 2017 at 3:23 AM Post #1,475 of 1,906

cool.gif
VERY nice Jon. Very informative.

The SWIII continue to impress daily. I have dozens of those KZ type foamies around and have never tried them. I think I will A/B them against my trusted Auvios.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

https://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20170209002200&SearchText=kz+foam+tips
(you want the red and blue ones)

PM me - Im happy to send you a pair if that helps?

Feb 9, 2017 at 9:37 AM Post #1,476 of 1,906

cool.gif
Mine are all the same size, Blue, Red and Black. I don't know what size they are.

Foamie size.
cool.gif

cool.gif
cool.gif
TWIN

Feb 11, 2017 at 12:44 PM Post #1,477 of 1,906

cool.gif
The Musicmaker IEMs are my main listening nowdays. I have the Brutal TK12, the more Refined TK13 and the Insane SW3.  I just added a microdriver T71 to my collection which is burning in right now and has great promise.

Ounce for ounce I have ZERO worries with any Musicmaker IEM as to their build quality. They are tough as nails.

AND..... They sound spectacular. You can't go wrong.

JMHO

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Hi twin,
How is your impression of T71 (if you still have them)? I'm looking for a noise-blocking IEM for travel purpose. T71 looks very promising but there seem to be very few owners here... 
Thanks 

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:04 PM Post #1,478 of 1,906
  Hi twin,
How is your impression of T71 (if you still have them)? I'm looking for a noise-blocking IEM for travel purpose. T71 looks very promising but there seem to be very few owners here... 
Thanks 

Save your money Fred. Although the Build is stellar, the sound unfortunately is not. For the price there are quite a few others. In the $20 range is the MEMT X5 Unbeliveable amount of sound from a TINY in ear. In the $40 or so is the Tennmak Crazy Cello. Both are light years better than the T71. If you want More balanced around the $40 range also is the Advanced Audio M4. GREAT sound but fairly hard to drive and won't sound their best unless they have lots of juice.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Feb 11, 2017 at 1:26 PM Post #1,479 of 1,906
  Save your money Fred. Although the Build is stellar, the sound unfortunately is not. For the price there are quite a few others. In the $20 range is the MEMT X5 Unbeliveable amount of sound from a TINY in ear. In the $40 or so is the Tennmak Crazy Cello. Both are light years better than the T71. If you want More balanced around the $40 range also is the Advanced Audio M4. GREAT sound but fairly hard to drive and won't sound their best unless they have lots of juice.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Me and my wallet both appreciate it, lol 
How is Advanced m4 compared to crazy cello? It's the first time I heard of this earphone. 

Feb 11, 2017 at 7:11 PM Post #1,480 of 1,906
Me and my wallet both appreciate it, lol 
How is Advanced m4 compared to crazy cello? It's the first time I heard of this earphone. 

The Crazy cello is big, bold and aimed directly at the mass consumer Market. The M4 actually destroys the Cello in many areas WITH the right source. Clarity, detail, sound stage, placement, layering and over all balance are in favor of the M4. There is a slight bump in the mids around vocal range that I absolutely LOVE. It may have too balanced of bass for those who need heavy bass. The cable is ridiculously good. Simply overkill.

:grinning::grinning: TWIN

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:05 PM Post #1,481 of 1,906
Guys is there any difference between ear holders version and non earholders version?
http://penonaudio.com/TONEKING-Shock-Wave-III-Earphone
https://tr.aliexpress.com/store/product/2016-New-MrZ-Tomahawk-Music-Maker-III-5-Units-4-BA-With-DD-In-Ear-Earphone/519064_32609950666.html?detailNewVersion=&categoryId=63705&spm=2114.12010608.0.0.q6DpsI

Mar 4, 2017 at 9:26 PM Post #1,483 of 1,906
Just snagged me a pair on the FS/FT thread here for $150...I'll be sure to leave a full review once I do. Actually quite surprised by the lack of coverage and reviews for these........if they're as good as you all say they are. I'll find out Monday!

Mar 9, 2017 at 9:57 PM Post #1,485 of 1,906
I'm just laying here on my bed with several really good earphones. Wow. I sometimes forget how truly remarkable the Shockwave is. The others just can't compare.

They are all superb but the SWIII just operates in a different dimension.....
:grinning::grinning: TWIN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back