"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Mar 9, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #1,486 of 1,906
I'm just laying here on my bed with several really good earphones. Wow. I sometimes forget how truly remarkable the Shockwave is. The others just can't compare.

They are all superb but the SWIII just operates in a different dimension.....
:grinning::grinning: TWIN

Great :D
Btw, Where is the SW IV ? 
tongue_smile.gif

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #1,487 of 1,906
Haven't heard a whisper about a IV other than round off the treble a hair I can't see what they could do to improve it. Personally I'd like the mids around female vocal range a tad forward. But that's just me.

Mar 10, 2017 at 2:22 AM Post #1,489 of 1,906
What other earphones?

Mar 10, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #1,490 of 1,906
Mar 10, 2017 at 11:07 AM Post #1,491 of 1,906
Mar 10, 2017 at 6:17 PM Post #1,493 of 1,906
Mar 11, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #1,494 of 1,906
Yeah they need to step it up and comeback big, I'll even take a single dynamic that can compete with Campfire in sound but at a Chinese price tag

Yes! Tame the wicked highs, balance out the timbre (warmer! please?!) and maintain the soundstage and bass and we have a true winner. They could go for the "Vega" sound :)

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:45 AM Post #1,495 of 1,906
Mar 11, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #1,497 of 1,906
Errrm no, you were unlucky to buy [what is suspected to be] a bad run
There are no wicked highs or sibilance at all with mine, or with a few others - check the reviews
Im just saying this because these issues are not the experience of everyone and I find it sad that 
some people may be led to believe that the SW3's are ALL inherently bad
There are clearly some bad ones out there, that's clear
Its heartbreaking to hear that people have received some faulty ones because they are sublime

Mar 11, 2017 at 7:21 PM Post #1,498 of 1,906
I agree with Jon. There is zero sibilance on the originals, which I happen to be lucky enough to own. Yes they are brighter but not piercing or unbearably so. These Iems hve 5 way crossovers and the driver config is 1 dynamic + 1 B/A for bass and 3 B/A (1 each ) for Mids, highs, and ultra highs.

What makes them hard to listen to for long periods isn't the brightness, I find it is more trying to process the massive amount of sonic information and sound stage. It simply doesn't lend to a casual "relaxed" listen. But if there ever was an earphone to cater to a true Audiophile experience this would be where my search would end.

Mar 11, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #1,499 of 1,906
I agree with Jon. There is zero sibilance on the originals, which I happen to be lucky enough to own. Yes they are brighter but not piercing or unbearably so. These Iems hve 5 way crossovers and the driver config is 1 dynamic + 1 B/A for bass and 3 B/A (1 each ) for Mids, highs, and ultra highs.

What makes them hard to listen to for long periods isn't the brightness, I find it is more trying to process the massive amount of sonic information and sound stage. It simply doesn't lend to a casual "relaxed" listen. But if there ever was an earphone to cater to a true Audiophile experience this would be where my search would end.

You're right, they aren't "bright", but the SW3 has some major W peaks and dips that make it painful to listen to on certain setups. EQ helps but doesn't ultimately fix it. I wish I knew how to measure them when you graciously let me try them for a bit.

The SW3 does so much else right though. If you combined the A4 effortless smoothness and customization , K3 mids, and SW3 soundstage/detail, you'd have a $1,000 competitor IMO.

How far we (Head-fi, audio enthusiasts) and the Asian audio industry has come in the 3 years since we made it a point that there was potential is directly related to our interest in them. Things are really interesting now. Hopefully MM has something in the pipeline and doesn't pull a Havi.

Mar 12, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #1,500 of 1,906
  You're right, they aren't "bright", but the SW3 has some major W peaks and dips that make it painful to listen to on certain setups. EQ helps but doesn't ultimately fix it. I wish I knew how to measure them when you graciously let me try them for a bit.

The SW3 does so much else right though. If you combined the A4 effortless smoothness and customization , K3 mids, and SW3 soundstage/detail, you'd have a $1,000 competitor IMO.

How far we (Head-fi, audio enthusiasts) and the Asian audio industry has come in the 3 years since we made it a point that there was potential is directly related to our interest in them. Things are really interesting now. Hopefully MM has something in the pipeline and doesn't pull a Havi.

cool.gif
bman just let me know if you need them again, I will pop them off to you. P.M. me your full name and address again as I have misplaced it, and I have a terrible memory 'cause I'm old.
rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
TWIN

Users who are viewing this thread

Back