"Ear Kegs" - MusicMaker Phantom III / Shockwave III appreciation & impressions
Mar 7, 2016 at 2:38 PM Post #91 of 1,906
The Tk12 are like a portable version of the Shockwave. To my ears they're 90% of the sound of the Shockwave. Tk12 have a non detachable cable which is
very nice. TK12 goes fine from a phone but the shockwave strictly needs a good dap or amp.

The truth is if you have the Shockwave then the Tk12 will likely become redundant.

Mar 7, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #92 of 1,906
The Tk12 are like a portable version of the Shockwave. To my ears they're 90% of the sound of the Shockwave. Tk12 have a non detachable cable which is
very nice. TK12 goes fine from a phone but the shockwave strictly needs a good dap or amp.

The truth is if you have the Shockwave then the Tk12 will likely become redundant.

I am confused now..
I have lz a2 and now want to upgrade.
I am thinking of buying tk12 and shockwave |||.
Let me know how better these 2 are wrt lz a2?

Vishal

Mar 7, 2016 at 4:21 PM Post #93 of 1,906
cool.gif
There is a definite difference in the Sound of the TK12 and the Shockwave. The TK12 is more explosive and coarse, The Shockwave is more Detailed and Refined. Like Skullman said If You have the TK12 you are almost there. 90% is stretching it, more like 80%
biggrin.gif
You really only need one. But You can be greedy like US and have Both.

All You need to own Anything really is Gullibility and $$$$$.
rolleyes.gif

These are both Stellar earphones, Seriously.

I haven't sat down and critically listened to the Shockwave and simply refuse to do any more impressions on them at all until they have had a LITTLE time to Burn-in at least 30-50 Hours. I plan on Updating any reviews at 350 Hours anyways. Which according to many reviews on TaoBao IS the required break In time for the Shockwave III. The TK12 had 200 hours on them before I finally reviewed them.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Mar 7, 2016 at 8:02 PM Post #95 of 1,906
Maguire bleeding credit cards = end game.

It's simple math. :grinning:

:grinning::grinning: TWIN

Mar 7, 2016 at 8:57 PM Post #97 of 1,906
Clearly one must sacrifice to become one of the Elite (corksniff, corksniff) Shockwave owners.

Skullman, be a good chap and pass the Grey Poupon...

:grinning::grinning: TWIN

Mar 7, 2016 at 10:14 PM Post #98 of 1,906
My credit card is seeing sunnier days since it met the Shickwave III, selling other iems.
It's telling me to try to get my hands on the Shockwave II though.

Mar 8, 2016 at 12:57 PM Post #99 of 1,906
cool.gif
Skull, I got 17 hours on them and I couldn't help myself but do an A/B of the TK12 and the SW III. It's NOT my fault. They were calling to me: TWIN LISTEN TO US, NO ONE HAS TO KNOW....
biggrin.gif
  What I'm finding is they have a similar Uhhhh.... HOUSE Sound. Yes, That's the word I'm looking for. The MAIN differences between the 2 Is the Clarity and Resolution of the Shockwave. Now Even though the TK12 sounds a little Bigger because of the elevated Bass I Swear the Shockwave has quite a bit more Extension on it's Bass, I mean it goes WAY down.

I'm thinking that the reason the TK12 sounds larger however is simply a Matter of it being easier to drive therefore it's Louder at a set volume. When I bring each earphone up to a similar Volume according to my hearing they Both sound equally Huge. Maybe with a nod to the TK12 having a little more Fullness but the SW III having much more "Audiophile" type fidelity.

I just can't get over that 2 B/A's can make THAT much difference in Resolution. I'm pretty sure the Crossover in the SW III has a LOT to do with that though. Instead of all the drivers being their full ranges there are slopes and cutoff points to dedicate separate drivers to certain pre-determined frequencies exactly as a crossover is meant to function. This is a full electronic crossover network BTW, not just a couple resistors placed at strategic points.

Since WE are the only 2 that own these as of right now please let me know if you agree with what I'm hearing.

Back to the Burner Now. This is going to be HARD leaving them alone......

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:36 PM Post #100 of 1,906

cool.gif
Skull, I got 17 hours on them and I couldn't help myself but do an A/B of the TK12 and the SW III. It's NOT my fault. They were calling to me: TWIN LISTEN TO US, NO ONE HAS TO KNOW....
biggrin.gif
  What I'm finding is they have a similar Uhhhh.... HOUSE Sound. Yes, That's the word I'm looking for. The MAIN differences between the 2 Is the Clarity and Resolution of the Shockwave. Now Even though the TK12 sounds a little Bigger because of the elevated Bass I Swear the Shockwave has quite a bit more Extension on it's Bass, I mean it goes WAY down.

I'm thinking that the reason the TK12 sounds larger however is simply a Matter of it being easier to drive therefore it's Louder at a set volume. When I bring each earphone up to a similar Volume according to my hearing they Both sound equally Huge. Maybe with a nod to the TK12 having a little more Fullness but the SW III having much more "Audiophile" type fidelity.

I just can't get over that 2 B/A's can make THAT much difference in Resolution. I'm pretty sure the Crossover in the SW III has a LOT to do with that though. Instead of all the drivers being their full ranges there are slopes and cutoff points to dedicate separate drivers to certain pre-determined frequencies exactly as a crossover is meant to function. This is a full electronic crossover network BTW, not just a couple resistors placed at strategic points.

Since WE are the only 2 that own these as of right now please let me know if you agree with what I'm hearing.

beerchug.gif
beerchug.gif
TWIN

Would you say the Shockwave is as hard to drive as the Puro?

Mar 8, 2016 at 1:52 PM Post #101 of 1,906
:cool: Short answer: No nowhere near.

The only earphones I've encountered that are harder to drive than the Puros are the Havi B3 Pro1

So much so It was a problem for me and they had to go. I couldn't amp them to get them to Volume then add a Bass Boost to give them enough Bass to my taste. When I did they became a distorted mess.

:cool: :cool:TWIN

Mar 8, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #102 of 1,906
Yes Twin, Sounds right. In some tracks where there is a guitar way off to the side the Shockwave
places it way out of head. Sounds like the sound is 3 inches from the ear. Something I didn't hear from the Tk12
to the same extent. It's a testament to the TK12 that it can put up a fight against the Shockwave. Most Iems can't in
terms of size and clarity among other things.

Mar 8, 2016 at 5:49 PM Post #103 of 1,906
:cool: Skull, I got 17 hours on them and I couldn't help myself but do an A/B of the TK12 and the SW III. It's NOT my fault. They were calling to me: TWIN LISTEN TO US, NO ONE HAS TO KNOW.... :D   What I'm finding is they have a similar Uhhhh.... HOUSE Sound. Yes, That's the word I'm looking for. The MAIN differences between the 2 Is the Clarity and Resolution of the Shockwave. Now Even though the TK12 sounds a little Bigger because of the elevated Bass I Swear the Shockwave has quite a bit more Extension on it's Bass, I mean it goes WAY down.

:beerchug: :beerchug: TWIN

Mar 8, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #104 of 1,906
I have a feeling that once you finish burning these in and put an amp to then they are going to be enormous. Still waiting for delivery of my HcKA2 before pulling the trigger on this or the LZA3 but it's getting harder and harder to hold out....Thanks Twin (in my sarcastic voice)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back