EAR HP4
Dec 14, 2018 at 9:06 AM Post #77 of 121
Thanks, but I do not think this is a solution. The scheme requires a serious analysis to determine which transformer is appropriate. Hardly anyone will devote so much time and effort....

No, it does not.
With the information posted here, you have all you need to design and build a clone successfully.
The proposed Lundahl is a great transformer. But you need to know what you're doing otherwise you might end up harming your nice headphones.

Measuring transformers already incorporated in a design is a pain. I am not sure anyone here would be willing to tear down their expensive gear, dismantle components, gather necessary measurement equipment and spend hours on end measuring transformer parameters, then post them here.

I know there are some really knowledgeable people in Eastern Europe when it comes to transformers and tubes, probably some of the best in the world. Ask around.
Good luck with your build.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2018 at 1:44 PM Post #78 of 121
I was just informed that the link I posted earlier might be dead....probably sold already.

There is another amplifier that I use, that is just as crazy good, and some believe it is even better.
It is absolutely reference-class amp, But it is monoblock, big and unattainable.

Good luck.

What's the name of that monoblock?

Dec 14, 2018 at 2:56 PM Post #79 of 121
What's the name of that monoblock?

Someone else here asked the same question. Once he received the answer, it got awefully quiet :dt880smile:
I am not sure my answering will help you.

It is unobtainium. Made in the 80:s. One of the best amplfiers (sonically) ever built.
It is commercial speaker monoblocks 150W / channel, but I only run one pair of output tubes, running it in the 10-20 W range, and using Hifimans adapter, perfect for my Headphones.

it so outperformed my Ear HP4's that I sold the Ear's! My Ear HP4 would occasionally run out of steam when paired with the likes of HE-6 or Susvara.

Cheers

Dec 15, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #80 of 121
Someone else here asked the same question. Once he received the answer, it got awefully quiet :dt880smile:

Lol
Sorry I got busy but I did research it a bit.
I found a pair for sale but it is same price as a new HP4.
Your message has got me wondering though how my monoblocks would sound through headphones via that hifiman adapter :)
Mine are a pair of Kora SB100 valve triodes

Dec 15, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #81 of 121
I forgot to mention that the monoblocks are K L I M O - OTL
probably one of the best amps ever created.
Sonically it is stunning. They sound heavenly.
No trannies anywhere to mess up the sound!
What a shame it is not produced anymore.

@Nik74:
You can always use speaker-level amps to drive headphones.
The output noise level is more stringent for a HP amp than a speaker amp.
The only other difference is the power output capabilities and nothing else.

I run my monoblocks with only one pair of output valves, thus reducing power output to ~ 10 - 15 W, which is perfect for Hifiman (via adapter) cans.

My EAR HP4 wasn't happy with my HE6 low sensitivity and impedance.

You do not need dedicated headphone amps to drive your headphones.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #88 of 121
Luxman electronics are in general very underestimated in Europe and US. They are really fantastic stuff.
More than 100 years of audio design. Conservative circuit design, excellent build quality, amazing sound.
Congradulations, wonderful amp. Beautiful too.
That being said, I remember listening long into night hours when I had my HD800 connected to HP4. They were magical together. (I love HD800, not HD800S so much).
But Susvara changed all that!

I am just too much of a tube-guy to go for the Luxaman :wink: Nevertheless, a great choice!

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2018 at 2:39 PM Post #89 of 121
@zodiac1234 i am very interested in what you feel is less to your taste on the 800S, the reason I m yearning for the HP4 is that it is said to synergise amazingly with both 800 and 800S...

Dec 19, 2018 at 7:37 PM Post #90 of 121
@zodiac1234 i am very interested in what you feel is less to your taste on the 800S, the reason I m yearning for the HP4 is that it is said to synergise amazingly with both 800 and 800S...

Yes, they do, for some reason. They are incredible together.
Well, since I own both 800 and 800S I would say that Senn 800 was modified into 800S by Sennheiser to accommodate a broader range of equipments, the reason being a lot of customers complained that 800 sounded too harsh on their set-ups. I would call 800S a more "generic" permutation of 800.
The original 800 is more of a precision device.

The frequent comments from Tyll Hertsens of innerfidelity on 800's being too harsh and piercing around 5-6 kHz
didn't help either.
On stellar equipment (like HP4) I did not find them piercing or sibilant at all. But connected to computer audio, transistor-based amplifiers, they sounded good, but nothing special.
On the contrary, the laid back, effortless, detailed sound signature of HP4 perfectly complemented the transparent, resolving quality of 800. This i feel lacks on the 800S.

But that's just me, I respect others' opinions.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back