EAR HP4
Jun 8, 2009 at 8:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 121

seacard

1000+ Head-Fier
I have a chance to get the EAR HP4 at a great price, but I wanted to ask if anybody here has had a chance to compare this amp with the EC Zana Deux or the TTVJ 307A.

Jun 8, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a chance to get the EAR HP4 at a great price, but I wanted to ask if anybody here has had a chance to compare this amp with the EC Zana Deux or the TTVJ 307A.

Shoot Blackmore a PM he had the HP4 and I beleive he has had a crack at some of the others.

Jun 9, 2009 at 2:06 AM Post #3 of 121
Seacard, what headphone are you going to use? The EAR HP4 is great with the Grado's, it is a real difference maker. I have to believe it is still one of the best amps out there. If you are using Senns, then EC Zana Duex sounds like it may be the ticket. Plenty of positive feedback in the ZD threads on using Senns with this amp.

Jun 9, 2009 at 4:38 AM Post #4 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kclone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Seacard, what headphone are you going to use? The EAR HP4 is great with the Grado's, it is a real difference maker. I have to believe it is still one of the best amps out there. If you are using Senns, then EC Zana Duex sounds like it may be the ticket. Plenty of positive feedback in the ZD threads on using Senns with this amp.

I will be using an HD800. I've always been a huge Senn fan, so I will likely stick with the HD800 until a replacement comes out in 5 years or something.

Jun 9, 2009 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 121
I have the EAR HP4 and I use it with my Grado HP2i with excellent result, but now I'm waiting for other two amps, TTVJ MIllet 307A and another custom built for the HP2i, I'll tell you soon the result of the comparison...

Best!

Jun 9, 2009 at 5:52 PM Post #6 of 121
Quote:

Originally Posted by seacard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will be using an HD800. I've always been a huge Senn fan, so I will likely stick with the HD800 until a replacement comes out in 5 years or something.

The only Senn i have is the HD600. I have not listened to it forever. I will break it out and try it with the EAR, to see if it is a good match. Report back later.

Apr 11, 2012 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 121
The EAR Yoshino HP4 is truly a landmark product.

It is possibly THE BEST headphone amp for dynamic headphones.

It is a single-ended design with transformer coupling, like almost all of Mr Paravicini's designs (not without a reason)
with excellent transformers on the input and output.

Since it is a SE story, it has limited drive capability into lower impedance loads.

It's circuit design is odd, however its sound quality is truly remarkable. If you buy this one, do not worry about searching to find
anything better, as nothing will be significantly better, only slightly different.

Compared to the Sennheiser Orpheus Amp (HEV90), EAR Yoshino HP4 was supremely superior.
The only downfall?...  the price.

May 9, 2012 at 8:29 AM Post #9 of 121
Just ordered me one of these, still 6 to 8 weeks before it comes in though.

One question here: when I use only the balanced inputs, will I be able to use the unbalanced outputs on the back to use it as a preamp? So will there be a signal coming out of the RCA output when only the XLR input is connected?

May 9, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #10 of 121
Quote:
One question here: when I use only the balanced inputs, will I be able to use the unbalanced outputs on the back to use it as a preamp? So will there be a signal coming out of the RCA output when only the XLR input is connected?

I don't see why not.
Try it out, if you can't get it to work, drop me an email and I'll take a look at your setup.

cheers

May 10, 2012 at 12:46 AM Post #12 of 121
There is an switch on front of the amp, which allow you to use pre or hp section only, if I am not wrong.
Quote:
Just ordered me one of these, still 6 to 8 weeks before it comes in though.

May 10, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #13 of 121
Thanks, I didn't know that, thought it was just an on/off switch.
But what I am wondering about if it converts the balanced input signal into an unbalanced preout signal.
Some amps like the BA can do that, others like the P-1u can't. (though these both are fixed outputs to be accurate, not preamp ones like on the HP4)

May 10, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #14 of 121
Funny  thing is, I owned one, but forgot some small details. I also believe that there is an switch on back for XLR or RCA, the guys up here schould know for sure.

As for the tubes, get an quad of Tung Sols 6SU7 and you are done.
Quote:
Thanks, I didn't know that, thought it was just an on/off switch.
But what I am wondering about if it converts the balanced input signal into an unbalanced preout signal.
Some amps like the BA can do that, others like the P-1u can't. (though these both are fixed outputs to be accurate, not preamp ones like on the HP4)

May 10, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #15 of 121
About the tubes, I asked the question in the HP4 tube rolling thread.

The tubes I am looking for need to sound crispy clean, detailed with a nice soundstage. No tube lushness or warm sounding tubes.

I just checked AudioTubes and this is what they say abour the 6SU7.

Quote:

[size=medium] 6SU7GTY / 6198:[/size]

This is a premium version made by Tung Sol, possibly made by them for other brands as well, as GE lists it in their own "Essential Characteristics" book. It has a brown micanol base and the triode sections are factory matched. Sometimes the tube is listed by the industrial number of 6198, some military types list both numbers on the tube, and yet some don't use the industrial number. It's the same tube regardless. These are great 6SL7 substitutes said to sound sweet, but are rare.

Now "sweet" is what bothers me. Can you confirm they are lush/warm/sweet sounding or rather the opposite?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back