EAR HP4
May 10, 2012 at 10:51 AM Post #16 of 121
I know what you're after -- the same kind of thing as the '50s Sylvania 6SN7s I picked up for my Stacker II. If they are exhibiting again on Saturday at the Fujiya Avic show, I'll try and get a longer listen with the HP-4 and see if I can't get a handle on the sound with the stock tubes.

May 10, 2012 at 11:09 AM Post #17 of 121
That would be great, thanks.
In any case I will be using it with the stock tubes until they are fully burned in to get used to the sound before I use any other tubes.
I already got a nice glimpse of that kind of sound with the Zana using the stock tube, improved a bit with the Tung Sol black glass and further with the Standard Radio tube I have.
I must say this sound is really addictive to my ears, so different from the sound I got from the Luxman SQ-N100 I used to have.
Once I found the NOS tubes that give me the clearest sound possible I'll be stocking up on them.

May 12, 2012 at 6:09 PM Post #19 of 121
Does anyone have info on the XLR inputs of the HP4, maybe in their manual?
I would like to know which the hot and cold pins are on the XLR, thus if it uses the European or US standard.

If found a schematic of the amp here but can't make anything out of it.

May 16, 2012 at 12:19 PM Post #23 of 121
Quote:
Next time I organize mini meet, you will be on my list:)

That would be greatly appreciated. :)
There aren't that many meets here in the BeNeLux as far as I know of, the US folks are a lot mor lucky.
Of course, I'd be happy to bring my gear along as well of course.
I'll steal my wife's car then as it's a bit much to carry it all on my bike.  :wink:

6 more weeks before my HP4 arrives I just heard.
I mailed them with the questions but they didn't really read them as they asked for my serial number and I had told them it was on order. Just mailed them back and I was a bit more precise now.

By the way, these will be crappy i guess, not much info there: FleaBay.
It's just the quad set and metal base that caught my attention.

May 17, 2012 at 5:54 PM Post #24 of 121
Some info I got from the Dutch distributor:

Pin 3 is cold.
Even when only the XLR input is used, both the XLR and RCA outputs work.
Even when the amp is turned off the sound is put through. Handy for connecting a chain of amps.  :p

I see myself having a lot of playtime with this beauty!

May 30, 2012 at 12:35 AM Post #26 of 121
If you going to get VT229, you will not be able to cover the amp. Siemens looks like Sylvania to me. From two, I think VT229 are better.
Quote:
Would any of these be worth the purchase?

Sylvania VT-229
Siemens

I never bought tubes on eBay but since these are in Europe I was considering them.
Not sure if the Sylvanias are short bottles though, the Siemens look like it.

Mar 6, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #28 of 121
Love my new unit.  Full textured mids and bass, altho no treble roll-off detected yet.

EDIT:  Love it even more with Philips/Mullard ECC35 tubes and out of my TH900 cans.  What a lush full sound, and with a bass bottom that feels more like a pressure wave than an audible cue.

I'm as happy right now as a pig in a wallow. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back