EAR HP4
Apr 11, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #106 of 121
So guys, I recently got a brand new HP4 to use with my HD800S. My current setup is the following:
Computer (streaming Tidal + Fidelizer Plus software) ---> Supra Usb A to B ---> Musical Fidelity M6sr DAC ----> Esprit Beta XLR ----> Ear HP4 ----> Sennheiser HD800S. I'm also using Supra's MD series main block. I just wanted to tell you my honest opinion, after listening for 100 hours, although this amp + headphone combo might have been covered by others in this thread.

Bass: Well, the sub-bass is not that much present, typical HD800S's issue. To be fair, I'm glad it's not there because forcing the sub-bass level in these headphones might result in distortion. The mid-bass and upper-bass are presented really nice and controlled, maybe just 1-2 db less than what is perceived as normal by most people. This combo is capable of presenting punch and slam when it has to, but nothing mindblowing. My Canor TP10 amp is capable of delivering ''better'' bass presentation with these headphones, nevertheless, the overall sound of the HP4 is way much better than the TP10's.

Mids: In one word: Amazing! The mids are pushed forward a little bit and that's something the HD800S really need. You can literally hear every nuance of each instrument, timbre is amazing, very realistic presentation. It gives me the impression that this is as good as the midrange of the HD800S's can sound like. I'm really starting to get addicted to the midrange of this combo as I find myself unable to stop listening sometimes.

Treble: This is where things start to get a little bit complicated. In my opinion, the treble of the HP4 is very natural and well extended, nothing wrong about it. But this does not synergize that well with the HD800S which require a rolled-off treble to sound their best. Yes the details are all there, but I find myself being annoyed by sibilance quite frequently with this combo. These sibilant 's' and 't' sounds can distract me from the music. Call me crazy but when I am not using Fidelizer on my computer then treble harshness and sibialnce are increased. Running Fidelizer fixes about 30% of the problem and the treble sounds a bit softer. I don't blame the HP4 for that, as this is another well-known issue of the HD800S. In contrast, when I'm using Canor TP10 + HD800S the treble is rolled-off a bit and sibilance is gone, unless if I'm listening to very bright recordings (but as I said before HP4 +HD800S is so much better overall). I know I'm a little sensitive to harshness comparing to other people so in conclusion I'll just say that the treble of EAR HP4 + HD800S is OK, but perhaps can be improved by other means.

Soundstage & Imaging: The soundstage is very wide, the widest I've ever heard with the HD800S. There is also a decent sense of depth. You can easily pinpoint instruments as seperation is at least top-notch. If you are a fan of a wide and precise sound presentation I think you gonna be absolutely more than satisfied. Period. Nothing else to add here.

Overall, I am deeply satisfied with the sound of the EAR HP4 + HD800S. After a few minutes of warm-up, it's really hard to stop listening. I have accepted that sub-bass is never gonna get right with the HD800S and I'm not willing to fight it anymore. If you are a basshead, go grab yourself another pair of headphones. My (biggest) concern is the treble which I believe can my improved substantially by other means. I mean, if using Fidelizer can fix about 30% of this issue, I guess there might be other ways to make it sound more natural and sibilance-free. I have spent so much money (at least for my standards) for my headphone system so I am willing to spent a few hundred more to get the sound I can consider an endgame for me. The next few weeks I'll start tube-rolling, starting with the warm-sounding Tung-sols a few guys have mentioned in this thread before. I am also planning to get a dedicated streamer (perhaps MF's MX-Stream when is released in a couple of months) and upgrade my USB and power cables. I don't think that any of these upgrades on their own can eliminate sibilance, but perhaps each one of them is capable of reducing it by a small percentage and if you add these percentages I might get a softer treble. If all of this fails, I guess I have to get a custom made passive filter to reduce the 6k - 7k frequencies a bit. I have asked my audio dealer and he said he can make one using low quality materials for free, just to test its performance. If it's good enough then we can make one with better quality materials.

I might have been slightly off-topic in the last paragraph, but I wanted to share all of my thoughts about this combo with you guys, in order to show you how great it is and that it's worth getting into some trouble to fix its issue. I'll come back in this thread after some time to share with you the results of my findings.

Apr 11, 2021 at 12:04 PM Post #109 of 121
Although Tim di Paravicini always said there was no point changing the tubes, I definitely feel the top end on mine was improved with some NOS vintage British Brimar valves
Well my audio dealer has been selling Paravicini's products for over 3 decades, so when I asked him about that he replied that they have discussed that matter a few years ago. What Paravicini meant is that you shouldn't change the tube type, and not the tube model. So I guess Paravicini did not discourage people from tube-rolling in the HP4.
@johnser96 very nice:) interesting what You write about treble. I had the same issue with Audeze lcd3 f (yes, they have a peak in the hights) and i softened it a bit with rca cables (Cardas) and a tube DAC (MHDT). It was almost good, but ultimately i decided to change headphones.
Up until recently i had ''cheap'' rca interconnects from cambridge audio. Now i'm using Esprit's Beta XLR and the sound is just better. More focused sound, better stage. Maybe a part of the improvement is due to the fact that both HP4's and M6sr Dac's balanced connections are (probably) better than the unbalanced ones, but I guess, definately the rest of the improvement goes to the quality of this cable. No major improvement in the treble region though, maybe just a tiny bit, but nothing too obvious. And i really don't wanna change my DAC again because I need money to buy food as well :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:.

Apr 11, 2021 at 8:17 PM Post #110 of 121
I owned an HP4 many years ago. Yes, you can tube roll vintage 6SL7's to your heart's content. However, you do need to exercise some caution. I found that many of the NOS tubes would wear out very very quickly. If you've got a decent tube tester, this will appear as a major drop in mutual conductance in one triode. This happened with astonishingly few hours on the tube. Other tubes seemed to be able to handle whatever the HP4 threw at them. This was long enough back that I no longer remember which tubes worked best, but I may have posted something about it way back. Maybe it has been upgraded after all this time, but I thought that the HP4 had a distinct coloration to the sound when I owned mine, possibly from the transformers.

Apr 11, 2021 at 10:41 PM Post #111 of 121
I owned an HP4 many years ago. Yes, you can tube roll vintage 6SL7's to your heart's content. However, you do need to exercise some caution. I found that many of the NOS tubes would wear out very very quickly. If you've got a decent tube tester, this will appear as a major drop in mutual conductance in one triode. This happened with astonishingly few hours on the tube. Other tubes seemed to be able to handle whatever the HP4 threw at them. This was long enough back that I no longer remember which tubes worked best, but I may have posted something about it way back. Maybe it has been upgraded after all this time, but I thought that the HP4 had a distinct coloration to the sound when I owned mine, possibly from the transformers.
Your posts were an enormous help. Lots of the tubes you recommended have been fantastic but sadly, they're in short supply and much more expensive than they were back in 2003-2005. Thanks for all your work back then!

Apr 12, 2021 at 6:29 AM Post #112 of 121
I will check out the stuff you posted in 2003 (the funny thing is I was only 7 years old then and we are still talking about the same amp) and if I get my hands on any of these tubes I will gladly post my humble opinion. Thanks for the info.

Apr 12, 2021 at 7:16 AM Post #113 of 121
I will check out the stuff you posted in 2003 (the funny thing is I was only 7 years old then and we are still talking about the same amp) and if I get my hands on any of these tubes I will gladly post my humble opinion. Thanks for the info.
That means it is a good amp:) NOS tubes prices are going up in a horrifying way....

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #116 of 121
Guys, is there a good alternative to HP4 that's cheaper and meant to power low-impedance headphones, like those from Audio-Technica? Something "tubey" like the HP4 is preferred.
I had the Canor TP10 for 6-7 months. Very good hybrid design amp, very different than the HP4 though. I found the TP 10 + HD800S combo to be quite good. RRP was 950 euros. I don't know if you can still find a new one.

Sep 16, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #117 of 121
CEC HD53N is another possibility. Rather old now, so it pops up from time to time for a fairly low price.
It has LEF (Load Effect Free) circuit with no feedback loop, mimicking the warmer, softer nature of tube amps slightly, with a bit of midrange boost.
Fully balanced, so plenty of power, although the headphones need to be re-terminated to balanced connection.
I don't think it drives high-impedance phones the best, but lower impedance phones seem to work very well.
It is Japanese, so I am sure there is a domestic article somewhere, where they tried it with Audio-Technicas.
I remember liking it very much with the ATH-ESW10JPN that I had many years ago.

But as far as anything being really similar to the EAR HP4 with its custom transformers, I have my doubts...

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #118 of 121
Well my audio dealer has been selling Paravicini's products for over 3 decades, so when I asked him about that he replied that they have discussed that matter a few years ago. What Paravicini meant is that you shouldn't change the tube type, and not the tube model. So I guess Paravicini did not discourage people from tube-rolling in the HP4.

Apologies for the late response on this issue, but I think your dealer mis-represented Tim de Paravicini. A few years ago, I emailed EAR to ask about tube rolling in my 912 preamp. The response was as follows:

Sir,​
Nothing to do with the difference of ECC88 or PCC88​
or for Americans 6 or 7 DJ8. no possible sonic difference.​
We however, select the versions we use for performance​
so that you tube rollers waste your money.​
I love it when people waste time and energy thinking​
they can have something better than I design.​
Thank you for possessing our unit.​
Best Regards​
Tim de Paravicini.​

So TdP was clearly discouraging people from tube rolling. That said, I do find that different tubes in my HP4 make a small but noticeable difference. The NOS tubes I am using do sound good, but the amp also sounds spectacular with most current production tubes, particularly current production Tung Sols.

Jan 8, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #119 of 121
Apologies for the late response on this issue, but I think your dealer mis-represented Tim de Paravicini. A few years ago, I emailed EAR to ask about tube rolling in my 912 preamp. The response was as follows:

Sir,​
Nothing to do with the difference of ECC88 or PCC88​
or for Americans 6 or 7 DJ8. no possible sonic difference.​
We however, select the versions we use for performance​
so that you tube rollers waste your money.​
I love it when people waste time and energy thinking​
they can have something better than I design.​
Thank you for possessing our unit.​
Best Regards​
Tim de Paravicini.​

So TdP was clearly discouraging people from tube rolling. That said, I do find that different tubes in my HP4 make a small but noticeable difference. The NOS tubes I am using do sound good, but the amp also sounds spectacular with most current production tubes, particularly current production Tung Sols
Thank you for sharing this email with us. I love Mr Paravicini's confidence on his designing skills. Never tried tube rolling with this amp to be honest. But in the forseeable future I will upgrade the capacitors of the HP4. He didn't say anything about upgrading other components, did he?

Last edited:
May 11, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #120 of 121
Hello friends,

i am interested in trying some tube rolling in my Ear Hp4. however, i am confused on what is the input and output pair in the amp.

pls kindly check pic bellow

am i correct to assume that the input pair is 1 and 2

then output pair is 3 and 4?

thanks in advance! :D
earhp4.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back