EAR HP4
Aug 23, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #46 of 121
HP4 has a transformer at the output, so it wouldn't be very difficult to provide balanced output for Hi Z outputs. Low Z outputs are though taken before the output transformer and there  it would be much more difficult task to introduce balanced output having in mind that overall architecture of this amp is not balanced.

But I do not really see a real need for something like that in this case. Therefore I do not believe we will ever see balanced HP4 - and if yes, it will be a completely different amp. But this one is so good that we do not really need anything else.

The only problem here is the price - but that is completely different story ...

Aug 24, 2016 at 7:00 AM Post #47 of 121
  EAR Yoshino HP4 is the best headphone amp I ever heard. With Sennheiser HD800 it makes a dream combination.

I've spent the last two years trying to find an amplifier that will make the HD800 sing, and to document my journey:

- Burson Conductor = treble peak from hell, harsh treble
- Valhalla = tames the treble, but thin base and lacking resolution
- Violectric V200 = tames the treble, but severely gimps the resolution and imaging of the HD800
- HDVA600 = tames the treble, keeps the resolution but everything seems a little too smoothed over (transient attacks gone)
- Schiit Ragnarok = thin vocals, bass still a little lacking
- 300B SET speaker amplifier jury rigged with resistors and headphone out = brings great body to the mids, but bass a little loose, imaging is a little too wide, with reduced coherence

I was fortunate to snap up an EAR HP4 from the Head-Fi classifieds here. It was a momentous occasion when the EAR HP4 arrived - my hands trembled a little bit when I turned the amplifier on after plugging it in. Would it be a disappointment like the other amplifiers? Did I need to make the jump to stats to find the sound I wanted?

After listening to the EAR HP4 with my HD800 for three weeks, I'm happy to say that my search for the HD800 amplifier is at an end! Everything I wanted is here:

- Bass = the bass impact! The sub-bass! Its all there, fast and impactful! 
- Mids = beautiful vocals, pushed forward a bit, which works very well for the HD800s, with great body
- Highs = extended and smooth, not a bit harsh
- Dynamics = great macro and microdynamics (I jumped at the climax in "The Grid" from the Tron Legacy soundtrack)
- Soundstage = a little smaller than my 300B amplifier but it is much more coherent such that I don't miss the 300B sound

I still wish to hear what the EC Zana Deux, Apex Teton and DNA Stratus sound like to make a comparison between TOTL amplifiers, but am content enough at this stage not to spend more cash =)

Oct 14, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #49 of 121
The HP4 has been my grail amp for years. Just about to take the plunge for my HD800 so it could mean goodbye to the brilliant HDVA600!
Hoping this will be a keeper for a few years!

Oct 15, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #50 of 121
The HP4 has been my grail amp for years. Just about to take the plunge for my HD800 so it could mean goodbye to the brilliant HDVA600!
Hoping this will be a keeper for a few years!

Likewise, from what I read, it is on my radar if I find it used.
Lucky you !

Oct 17, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #52 of 121
Looking forward to your impressions when you receive it. What source are you pairing it with ?

Oct 17, 2018 at 7:43 PM Post #53 of 121
For those that are new to the HP4, you will want to roll the tubes. Tim de Paravicini does not agree but what does he know. All he's done is form a company called EAR Yoshino and design every piece of gear they offer. This audiophile would agree with him regarding his tubed DAC4 which sounds exquisite. However, using the HP4 as my reference tube amp for 11 years, one should seriously consider replacing the stock tubes with (2) NOS RCA VT-229 / 6SL7GT and (2) NOS RCA 6SL7GT. The amp is very synergistic with the RCA's.

We all know music reproduction comprises a series of choices based on the qualities of sound that we individually prefer. At the very least, rolling in the RCA's will nicely enhance the listening experience over the stock tubes.

Oct 18, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #55 of 121
For those that are new to the HP4, you will want to roll the tubes. Tim de Paravicini does not agree but what does he know. All he's done is form a company called EAR Yoshino and design every piece of gear they offer. This audiophile would agree with him regarding his tubed DAC4 which sounds exquisite. However, using the HP4 as my reference tube amp for 11 years, one should seriously consider replacing the stock tubes with (2) NOS RCA VT-229 / 6SL7GT and (2) NOS RCA 6SL7GT. The amp is very synergistic with the RCA's.

We all know music reproduction comprises a series of choices based on the qualities of sound that we individually prefer. At the very least, rolling in the RCA's will nicely enhance the listening experience over the stock tubes.

What did you not like about the stock tubes?

Oct 18, 2018 at 9:20 AM Post #56 of 121
What did you not like about the stock tubes?

First of all, I heavily researched what other members were recommending since 11 years ago there was never a question as to whether to roll tubes, it was a question of which NOS tube to use. I've never listened with the stock tubes. It's a given that newly manufactured tubes can't approach the musicality of NOS which is why the best are as expensive as they have become. Fortunately, the RCA's should not cost as much as say Telefunken or Philips Holland. You will probably enjoy the HP4 with the stock tubes. Just keep in mind that you have the ability to make the amp sound better.

Oct 18, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #57 of 121
First of all, I heavily researched what other members were recommending since 11 years ago there was never a question as to whether to roll tubes, it was a question of which NOS tube to use. I've never listened with the stock tubes. It's a given that newly manufactured tubes can't approach the musicality of NOS which is why the best are as expensive as they have become. Fortunately, the RCA's should not cost as much as say Telefunken or Philips Holland. You will probably enjoy the HP4 with the stock tubes. Just keep in mind that you have the ability to make the amp sound better.

Thanks for that info. I'm not very savvy when it comes to tubes to be honest and opening up the unit is a worry. Interesting stuff though. I'll see how I like the sound first when it eventually arrives.

Oct 20, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #58 of 121
Opening the HP4 is easy work. Replacing the tubes, nothing to worry about either, but thats for me, as I rolled pretty much everything you can imagine, however, you must be careful, never pull the tubes out by grabbing the glass body, base only!

My biggest issue with HP4 was the fact that only short botteled tubes can be used, so, I know that some guys ordered custom made covering for that, yes, thats very true. In my situation, I used Tung Sols 6SU7gty from 1945 with pretty good results, but thats very personal of course. If you have tube gear and not roll, well, thats a bit of time waste:ksc75smile:

Other than that, great amp, and I believe that I wrote some about it long time ago...

Oct 24, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #59 of 121
I have owned my EAR HP-4 from new for about 10 years, using the supplied stock tubes only, and have always been happy with the sound.
Re-reading these threads again, I decided to try some NOS tubes, just so I could dispute the tube rolling claims, particularly as the amp designer clearly expresses this view.
Got hold of a pair of NOS Brimar 6SU7GT, which were made in the UK in the 60s. Actually the old factory was about three miles from where I live, and that added to the appeal.
For starters, I only bought one pair and put them on the input stages, leaving origial stock tubes on the outputs. Well blimey, a transformation in sound! More resolution with details that I hadn’t heard before, on well known recordings, PLUS a definitely sweeter smoother presentation with removal of digital file fatigue. Now, many changes in my system have managed one or the other of these effects, usually improving one worsens the other, but never has a single change produced both.
Any downside? I initially thought there was an increase in background noise, but it turned out my Hugo had reset itself to a very low output level, and the HP-4 volume control was up full. The noise was a little microphonics from the valves, which disappeared with a normal line level input.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #60 of 121
Just wonder if you can post any pics of those Brimars please. Reason I ask, is because the only 6SU7gty tubes I know off are Tung Sols, USA made.

THX

nos-tung-sol-jan-ctl-6su7gty-tubes_1_0e136d366dd2e1a3043d79e679ad63e6.jpg

Attachments

• Tung-sol_6SU7GTY_400W_35-2.jpg
    Tung-sol_6SU7GTY_400W_35-2.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back