EAR HP4 Tube Rolling Thread
Oct 24, 2005 at 4:59 AM Post #61 of 89
Old thread, but a good one. Before I start searching the net for some good tubes...I was wondering if I have to go matched quad (by matched I mean same type), or can I do a pair of company a for inputs and a pair of company b for outputs?

Oct 24, 2005 at 5:13 AM Post #62 of 89
Well after reading through again after all these years, it does seem I can mix and match the inputs and outputs. this is good news, makes buying tubes much easier
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 27, 2006 at 2:22 PM Post #63 of 89
resurrecting the mummy another time

so Hirsch , all in all what do you think it's the best combination for the hp-4 ? ps-1 wise as they're my favourites at the moment
( hp-2 too , but they seem to be a tad lean in bass with the hp-4 ) ..

Oct 27, 2006 at 4:45 PM Post #64 of 89
If you want more bass with the HP-2's I would suggest Tung Sol's black glass. If you want refinement and tight bass with the PS-1, my choice are the Sylvanias.

Mar 5, 2010 at 11:54 PM Post #65 of 89
Oh My Freaking Grapes! This is only my first impression, but OMG. Looks like I will be making a new enclosure for my HP4 soon. I have about 10 hours on these tubes. It's my only rolling experience with the HP4, but so far, I am really glad that I rolled. A friend of mine commented that he thought that the head stage on the HP4 was wide, but could be a bit deeper. He was listening to it with the Sovtek's installed. I thought he was crazy until now. With the Sophia's the head stage is wider and deeper than the Sovtek's. When I put them on I forget my own name. Who cares anyway. I don't when listening to these tubes. All of the high frequency detail is there, maybe a bit more. The bass is a bit more extended. The dynamics may have softened a bit. I say may have, because I don't know what to expect as these tubes burn in. The other thing that I can't discern yet is that with all of the new sonic information, the dynamics may be there, but I am overwhelmed by the all-engulfing new world to which I'm trying to acclimate. Hopefully these continue to improve as they burn in. I'll update as things change.

Mar 6, 2010 at 3:49 PM Post #66 of 89
Nice to see another person who love this great amp. Would be interesting to know about headphones you are using. You may want to try, if you are lucky to find them, NOS 6SU7 Tung Sols from the 50's, however never tried Sophia's.

This thread been dead for a while, but somehow comes to live for a second time, I believe
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimndre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh My Freaking Grapes! This is only my first impression, but OMG. Looks like I will be making a new enclosure for my HP4 soon. I have about 10 hours on these tubes. It's my only rolling experience with the HP4, but so far, I am really glad that I rolled. A friend of mine commented that he thought that the head stage on the HP4 was wide, but could be a bit deeper. He was listening to it with the Sovtek's installed. I thought he was crazy until now. With the Sophia's the head stage is wider and deeper than the Sovtek's. When I put them on I forget my own name. Who cares anyway. I don't when listening to these tubes. All of the high frequency detail is there, maybe a bit more. The bass is a bit more extended. The dynamics may have softened a bit. I say may have, because I don't know what to expect as these tubes burn in. The other thing that I can't discern yet is that with all of the new sonic information, the dynamics may be there, but I am overwhelmed by the all-engulfing new world to which I'm trying to acclimate. Hopefully these continue to improve as they burn in. I'll update as things change.

Mar 6, 2010 at 4:22 PM Post #67 of 89
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blackmore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice to see another person who love this great amp. Would be interesting to know about headphones you are using. You may want to try, if you are lucky to find them, NOS 6SU7 Tung Sols from the 50's, however never tried Sophia's.

This thread been dead for a while, but somehow comes to live for a second time, I believe
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the suggestion Blackmore. As for cans, I own Grado PS1000's Headpiled into Vixens with a black gold cord, HD800's with a Double Helix cable, and Edition 8's (re-cabling soon). I like the HD800's with this amp best. I saw that you sold your HP4, but then later I saw one listed in your inventory. Did you buy another?

Mar 6, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #68 of 89
You are welcome. No, my is sold as the GS1000 I used it with. Hey, great headphone collection, post some impressions
wink.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimndre /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the suggestion Blackmore. As for cans, I own Grado PS1000's Headpiled into Vixens with a black gold cord, HD800's with a Double Helix cable, and Edition 8's (re-cabling soon). I like the HD800's with this amp best. I saw that you sold your HP4, but then later I saw one listed in your inventory. Did you buy another?

May 9, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #69 of 89
Kicking this zombie back to life again...

I just bought a HP4, 6 to 8 weeks delivery time. Kidney surgery planned as well.  :wink:
I already had some good advice on tubes from DR. Roberts but it wouldn't hurt to get some more opinions from (ex)HP4 owners.
May I be so blunt as to fire away some questions that are haunting my dreams?

First some info I am looking for:
- the rear tubes are the input tubes and most prone to tube rolling, right?
- the front tubes are the output tubes (or was it power tubes) and somehwat less important?
- does the HP4 RCA peamp output work when only using the XLR input?
- do I really need matched pairs?
- is it better to use 4 of the same tubes or can I go with different onet for the input and output?

Now about the tubes:
The sound I am after is crispy clean, detailed with a huge soundstage. Short glass only. I want no tube-mids-warmth or lushness.
Sylvanias on the input and Tung Sol on the outputs? If so which types exactly should I be looking for?
Any other opionions? What about Standard Radio?

Any advice is really welcome and appreciated.

Nov 13, 2012 at 11:01 AM Post #70 of 89
My first impressions, after two moths with HP4:

Tube tested:

1. Brimar [size=x-small]6SL[size=x-small]7 [/size]CV1981[/size][size=x-small] Cryo[/size]
2. Fivre [size=x-small]6SL7[/size]
3. RCA VT-229

Now I'm looking for a pair of Tung-Sol 6su7gty.

Following Hirsch's alert, I did not rolled the stock tubes in the output section.

Preferences:

1. With HP2: Stock/output; Fivre/input
2. With Chroma MD2: Stock/output; RCA/input.

In both cases, I prefer Tungsram PCC88 in my EAR Acute II Cd.

See my profile for further informations regarding my set-up.

I hope this was helpful.

Regards

Matteo

Feb 25, 2013 at 5:40 PM Post #71 of 89
I didn't find anything in the  user manual about changing tubes or adjusting bias.
  1. Is there anything one should be careful or particular about when changing tubes?
  2. Is the EAR Yoshino HP4 autobias, or do you adjust bias manually?
  3. If you adjust bias manually: How do you do it?

Update
Information from EAR Yoshino:
  1. There is no bias adjustment of the tubes.
  2. It can use any 6SL7 tubes. But some versions are to tall to fit the cover back on.

Sep 24, 2013 at 3:12 PM Post #72 of 89
I'm SO psyched to find this thread!
I've been a fan of Tim's work for a long time (going back to my Atlantic Records days when we used his gear in the now-closed Atlantic Studios) and recently wrote about the HP4 
for the Summer Gift Guide.  I can't think of a better amp for my Audeze LCD3's or HD800's!  Though my ALO Studio Six comes pretty damn close!

After a ton of tube-rolling over here, I ended up using vintage RCA's in the back, and vintage GE's in the front.
I'll have to find out their precise model numbers for you guys (so many to remember).

Tim just has his opinions like anybody - and he doesn't believe in certain audiophile-related things (like high quality
cabling or power conditioning) as his roots are in the recording/music business.  I also believe this is why his audio 
equipment are, IMO (like my E.A.R 868 pre-amp, which changed my two-channel reference systems sound so profoundly
I couldn't believe it) like windows into the music.  I haven't found a line like E.A.R that's so consistently engaging to listen
to music through.  I feel the emotive power of the music through the HP4 like no other tube headphone amp YET!

The tube combo may sound a little odd, but after hearing Bob Levi's HP4 (Bob's the president of the LAOC Audio Society - and
ran Turner Broadcasting for MANY years, so this man knows tubes - his roots in this are are DEEP)  I had to have that sound!
He surprised me and gave me my own set of RCA's and GE's.  I was PUMPED.  I definitely heard, over the stock tubes, the mid-range
just open up like a fresh can of soda, with a sparkle factor that loomed across the whole soundstage.

Things also got more immediate, but not too forward.

I'm working on my full review of the HP4 for Positive Feedback - and I bought it.  Though I was granted an industry accommodation,
this was NO EASY purchase for me.  But the musical experience, while listening to the HP4 and my LCD3's and HD800's - is as close as
I've ever gotten to the experience of sitting in Harry Pearson's room #3 (Founder of The Absolute Sound magazine) and hearing one of his
super systems!  And the systems he usually runs cost anywhere from 250k on up!!!!

I'm counting my own two-channel reference system in there, which is not too shabby.  But with the E.A.R HP4 and my best cans I end up
transported to another time and place - which is my goal.

I can't wait to try out some of the tube combo's shared in this thread!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back