Ear Damage?
Sep 15, 2009 at 2:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

Senzo

New Head-Fier
Just got some new HD-595s. Started to get this warm tingly feeling inside my ears after listening for a while (little more then a half an hour). (Gaming: COD4 - TF2)

To describe the feeling... Slap yourself in the face lightly (enough to feel pain) (wait a few moments). Feel that warm tingly after-feeling? It feels almost exactly like that inside my ears. (volume was not cranked)

Would this be considered what audiophiles call "harshness" or being "warm". Does it go away after burn-in? AM I PERMINANTLY DAMAGING ME HEARING?!?!?!
confused_face(1).gif

-noob audio guy

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 25
It does sound like you're listening to the headphones too loudly.

You should be listening at levels only 10-20 db above normal conversation level, a good way to find out what normal conversation level is is to have a friend talk at you while you fiddle with the volume knob.

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 25
It sounds like your ears are burning in more than your headphones are burning in.
biggrin.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:33 AM Post #4 of 25
Hi Senzo: First, in your post, please click on "Edit" then the "Advanced Edit" button and change the topic title to something meaningful, other than "???". Thanks.

How loud are you listening? Very? Is this a feeling or a sound you're hearing? You could try simply turning the volume down when you play and see how you feel afterwards.

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #5 of 25
It was at the volume of a noisy room of people at first (talking not yelling). Then I gradually went down on the volume till it became hard to use sonar in the FPS games. Still a burny sensation persisted.... Especially in the right ear. And its a feeling not a sound. (I can still feel it in my right ear *not using headphones right now) I used the same level of sound that that usually comes from my logitech speakers (No burny feeling).

You know those people who take their earbuds and blast em so loud you can hear em? I'm not one of those people.

I guess another way to describe it would be ..... Pepper:Tongue::Feeling:Ear

... Burning Sound.. hmmm BURNING SOUND OF DESTRUCTION!.... HAAAAAAAAAAAAA! (dbz moment for ya)

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:22 AM Post #6 of 25
the inside of my ears will itch sometimes with extended wearing, and that itching will present itself as a burning at times. it doesn't matter the volume. in my case i think its just the closed off environment around my ear.

and when i say inside, i mean into the canal. of course, getting older and getting those peach fuzz hairs inside sure doesnt help either.

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:30 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the inside of my ears will itch sometimes with extended wearing, and that itching will present itself as a burning at times. it doesn't matter the volume. in my case i think its just the closed off environment around my ear.

and when i say inside, i mean into the canal. of course, getting older and getting those peach fuzz hairs inside sure doesnt help either.

I find this too. I listen at very low levels 99% of the time and after about 2 hours of listening continuously the inside of my ears get itchy (I clean my ears once a day). I just think it is a fact of the closed off environment. I wouldn't worry too much just double check your volume once in a while and take breaks.

cheers.

Sep 15, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #8 of 25
Be very careful with your ears: you only get one set for life. Tinnitus (ear ringing/noise) may become a permanent injury that no doctor can ever heal. I don't want to scare you, but if something is painful or uncomfortable, you probably should not be doing it.

Are you doing other noisy activities with unprotected ears besides music listening (noisy job, power tools, shooting, clubs/pubs, music rehearsals/performing)? Every noisy thing you do sums up at the end of the day. Protect your ears and do take breaks.

Sep 15, 2009 at 9:23 AM Post #9 of 25
To me it just sounds like a case of ear fatigue. The HD-595 has a somewhat treble spiked signature, so it might become a bit irritating for the unhabituated listener.

To cause a noise related injury in just half an hour, you really have to blast your music very loudly. It doesn't sound like the case here.
Just let your ears rest for a few hours before using headphones again.

Sep 15, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by chud /img/forum/go_quote.gif

X3! I get that burning sensation too..but only in the left ear
frown.gif

so I'm not the only one! and using a "warmer" source seems to fix the issue altogether..my prescription will be tuby sound for the two of you
beerchug.gif

I believe sources that whine in the trebles prolly resonate badly in the ear drum?! I usually get exactly what you're saying right at the beginning of the ear canal, right behind the tragus:

048%20External%20ear.jpg

pure almond oil helps too!

why does it occur after such a long time can only be explained by trebles resonances I think...I've had this cd1k for +15 years, and my brand new soundcard doesn't seem to do it anymore
normal_smile .gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:27 PM Post #11 of 25
I had this exact same problem with the HD595 and determined the highs on these are simply too harsh for my ears and returned them. After a week or two of letting my ears rest, the ringing in my ears diminished. I have not experienced this with any other headphones.

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #13 of 25
Yep, the Denons sound better too.

I sorta determined that Sennheiser's output highs too harshly to be safe, at least for my ears.

Sep 15, 2009 at 12:48 PM Post #15 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by phototristan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I sorta determined that Sennheiser's output highs too harshly to be safe, at least for my ears.

it's also source dependent I think...I'm starting to understand why tubes are so praised, they don't shred your ears w/ a uselessly whining upper spectrum basically
atsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back