Ear Damage?
Sep 15, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #16 of 25
Funny thing is, my Denon's have highs that sound just as good (if not better actually) so I'm not sure why the Sennheisers messed up my ears and not the Denons. I wonder if the Senns output too much high frequencies that we can't even hear but that damage hearing?

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:53 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by phototristan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wonder if the Senns output too much high frequencies that we can't even hear but that damage hearing?

yeah, I thought about that too! but my cd1k is given for 20Hz-20Khz...at that time they didn't bs customers w/ 1Hz-500KHz specs
rolleyes.gif

oh well, for ppl who have this issue...I think the only solution is to find a HP/amp combo that doesn't create the problem.

the Asus Essence soundcards(the STX was no good, but the ST was totally unbearable
ph34r.gif
), the onboard realtek, the M-Audio Audiophile USB, the DT770/600Ω were all exhibiting the problem for me...my current config is a lot "darker" and 100% OK, I'm so darn' happy
happy_face1.gif

I dearly hope you guys will also find a combination that matches your slight physiological problem, don't wanna give up on phones just yet
foutiti.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #18 of 25
Senzo,

I also experience what your talking about. Its somewhat infrequent as I listen to things at very low volume levels. The one thing i've noticed is that closed headphones definitely bring this far more than open or semi open headphones. Earbuds also tend to bring this on. I would definitely follow Comfy's advise here.

There is just something about being able to let the ear and ear canal "Breathe".

queue The Prodigy....

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #19 of 25
I have experienced the itchy ear problem with multiple cans. I find that changing the pads on them to a different type can solve this problem. My d7000 I had the itchy ear just a little over a couple hours of listening but after i stuffed the pads or used the jmoney pads I never had the problem again. Also with my darth beyers, the velor pads I didnt have a problem but the leather pads caused the phenomenon a lot. The jmoney pads caused it barely in just my right ear. I think the itchy ear problem might be due to the airflow produced by the driver causing irritation. Thus changing the pads to thicker or pads that allow better airflow will help. Just like a feather barely rubbing against your skin causes you to want to scratch, the air displaced by the driver hitting your ear also causes a itchy sensation. That also might be why changing the amp may help, because some amps have better controll over the bass causing more or less air displacement. This is just my .02 cents. Take it for what its worth.

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:51 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by RagingForces /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Senzo,

I also experience what your talking about. Its somewhat infrequent as I listen to things at very low volume levels. The one thing i've noticed is that closed headphones definitely bring this far more than open or semi open headphones. Earbuds also tend to bring this on. I would definitely follow Comfy's advise here.

There is just something about being able to let the ear and ear canal "Breathe".

queue The Prodigy....

Not my experience at all. Open headphones are much worse to me because since they don't block outside sound, you have to turn them a bit louder if there is any background noise to even hear your music. This can actually get dangerous depending on how much background noise there is.

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:53 PM Post #21 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also with my darth beyers, the velour pads I didnt have a problem but the leather pads caused the phenomenon a lot.

same here! I think it has to do w/ some sort of oscillator bringing up resonating frequencies in the ear drum...under a specific angle maybe?...nasty
confused_face_2.gif

Sep 15, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #22 of 25
radiation?

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by phototristan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not my experience at all. Open headphones are much worse to me because since they don't block outside sound, you have to turn them a bit louder if there is any background noise to even hear your music. This can actually get dangerous depending on how much background noise there is.

I am fortunate to use my headphones in locations that have very little ambient volume. For my listening habits, open headphone pose no more threat than any other speaker device. You bring up a very good point for someone in a different environment that may not be aware of their listening volumes.

Sep 15, 2009 at 5:18 PM Post #24 of 25
Sep 18, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #25 of 25
ok noone feels like running an internal diagnostic of his middle ear I guess?

anyway, the real EARGASM for me is to listen to FLAC on headphone for a few hours at low volume...then later on, to put a drop of chinese medicinal oil(sort of liquid chinese balm) right behind the tragus, too awesome
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back