E7 or E11 for my scenario
Oct 2, 2012 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

GuyWithAniPod

New Head-Fier
Ok, so I've read about both of these, and I've seen what you guys said about the two, but I would like your opinion on which one is more optimal for my situation. I think I am going to be getting the m50s as my headphones, and as an audio source is my trusty-yet-busted-but-soon-to-be-fixed iPod 5.5th Gen. I will be using the amp mostly on the go, I listen while I go about my daily buisiness. From what I have read, the e7 is a DAC amp, and the e11 is just an amp. I've also read that the iPod ha it's own DAC, but it's not as good as something built just for DAC, the whole "jack-of-all trades, master of one" principal. I've also read about how it can be used with the e9 desktop amp. What is the purpose of that combo? I imaging once I get my own place and stuff (only 17, but I imagine I will be moving out sometime or another!) having a desktop amp and a nice stereo system and all that, but for now I am in portability mode. So i guess the question is which of these two amps is better for my purpose? I use amps for adjusting the EQ, as the iPod only has it's presets and not much in the customizability dpt, as well as being able to boost my cans a bit. Any thoughts?

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:14 PM Post #2 of 10
I have the E17 which can be both DAC or AMP. The AMP on the E17 uses the same components as the E11.  The AMP is okay for IEM's hoewever the DAC, I find is the better of the two.

I recently added the E09K and it took the M50's to another level.

Oct 2, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #4 of 10
Just keep in mind with the ipod you will be only utilizing the amp portion of the E17/E7... Not the DAC. You can't bypass the ipods DAC with those products...

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:11 AM Post #6 of 10
The E17 is like a swiss knife. Use the Amp  for the Ipod, the DAC with the laptop.

The DAC with the laptop will sound better than the Ipod/amp.
The DAC will also handle 24/96 bit files.

F17 has 3 Gain levels and  3 bass/treble levels.
You can add L7 line-out adapter. ($10).

Oct 3, 2012 at 12:33 AM Post #9 of 10
I went the get the L7 line-out from a local Headphone shop. They had the E09K which mates with the F17. I was very impressed and bought that instead.
The shop owner was nice enough to through in the L7 for free.

Another consideration if you are looking to upgrade in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back