E7 + E9 / Matrix M-Stage
Mar 14, 2011 at 7:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AyeVeeN

100+ Head-Fier
Does anyone know whats more preferred between these two usually? I've searched for quite awhile and couldn't find any direct comparisons even though these are both at ~$200 USD.

For myself, I currently don't have a headphone that requires amping (only have an M50 at the moment, and going to get the AD700 for gaming), though the first one I'll probably get that requires amping is either the DT880s or the K/Q701s.

Mar 14, 2011 at 8:02 AM Post #2 of 6
E7+E9 is

DAC
Portable AMP
Desktop AMP

Matrix M-Stage is:

Desktop AMP

If you're looking for amp only, I'm sure there will be a wave of head-fiers saying the M-Stage is UNDOUBTEDLY better than the E9 (without having tested both).
rolleyes.gif

I however will go out on a limb and say that both are known to be quite neutral and won't color your headphones with excessive warmth or brightness, and lets the headphones themselves paint your music. The SQ should be quite close to one another, though I haven';t heard of one person having tried both. As a reference, go to the AMP A/B Comparison thread on here, so you can see how one of the very few people to one various amps and A/Bs them says how close in sound various neutral SS amps (like the E9) are to one another. Should give you a rough idea in how much one amp may be better than another.

Also, if you're on a computer and using stock soundcards, a DAC is even more important than an amp. I'd get a DAC first above anything (doesn't have to be the E7, though it's a great starter FWIR). It's been told to me but, place priority in sound like this:

Headphones
Source (DAC is a source)
Amp
Cables, and other misc items.

Also, how much are you willing to spend, what are your goals with your setup, etc. All these things can help the well knowledgeable Head-fiers help you.

I'm still upgrading myself, not because I'm unhappy, but because I need an amp to drive an Ortho, and because I wanna see what a somewhat reference DAC can do compared to my entry DAC.

Mar 15, 2011 at 3:31 PM Post #3 of 6
I'm wondering if anyone has done a direct comparison.  I have the M-Stage at home and it is excellent.  I'd like to get another amp for my office because the portable amp I was using there doesn't come close.  I don't need or want another DAC, just the amp.  I'd like to keep the expense as low as possible and I was thinking of trying the E9 at the office.  If the M-Stage is vastly better though I'd rather just get another M-Stage or something at least as good.  Does anyone have both the E9 and the M-Stage?

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #4 of 6

Quote:
I'm wondering if anyone has done a direct comparison.  I have the M-Stage at home and it is excellent.  I'd like to get another amp for my office because the portable amp I was using there doesn't come close.  I don't need or want another DAC, just the amp.  I'd like to keep the expense as low as possible and I was thinking of trying the E9 at the office.  If the M-Stage is vastly better though I'd rather just get another M-Stage or something at least as good.  Does anyone have both the E9 and the M-Stage?

May I know what headphones you use your M-Stage with? Wondering what it could power with ease.

Mar 15, 2011 at 7:16 PM Post #5 of 6
I use the M-Stage with several different headphones.  At home I use the K701 and D5000 depending on my mood and the music and whether I need open or closed.  At work I use the HD 595, HD 428 and DT 770.  While I find that my three at work headphones all work decently without an amp, when I try them with the M-Stage it takes them to another level.  I have a couple of tube amps, Darkvoice 332 and Little Dot MK III and neither of those does justice to the K701.  I was using the Lisa III portable (without the extra power stage) at work and the M-stage blows it away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back