E500 impressions from a ER4P owner
Aug 5, 2006 at 6:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26
After reading the almost universal glowing reviews of the Shure E500, I rushed out and bought a pair (very rare for me, actually, but I am traveling next week...need new IEMs!). First thing I did was plug them into my Ety custom ear molds (they fit, but were a bit loose at the end) and fired up my iPod. Disappointment. The sound was muffled and quite bad, really. I put back the default gray round nubbins and tried again. Aha, here we go!

The E500's sound incredible. I have been, up until now, a rather diehard Ety fan. I have tried (only briefly) previous Shure models (E3C, E5C) and knew right away they were not for me. Felt like they were shouting at me; granted, I didn't give them much of a chance. These new E500's, though...wow. They're as detailed, if not more-so, than my ER4P's. But then add to that perfect bass, and excitement. Excitement is not exactly the right word, but the E500's make the ER4P's sound like monitors. The ER4P sound is all there, but it's completely flat and sterile (by comparison), with the bottom end lacking. The E500 brings each instrument straight to your ear with the "aliveness" of the instrument still intact. Man it's ridiculous trying to describe sound. It sounds really, really good.

The comfort of the E500 is also terrific. The driver enclosure nuzzles into my ear. After inserting the nubbin, I pull down on my earlobe and push the driver, which then "pops" into place, snugly tucked into the little nook above my earlobe (just like my custom molds used to fit). The nubs I'm using only go a little ways into my ear, there's no need to stuff them deep like with Etys or custom molds. I think this helps explain why the soundstage is much wider with these than with Etys. These do not have the "in your head" soundstage like Etys. The soundstage is pretty wide - very wide for an IEM. It's closer to listening to a full sized pair of cans. I haven't actually lied down with them yet, but I found by accident that when I press my palm to my ear, it doesn't mess with the sound. Because the driver is tucked into my ear, and the cord sticks up, not out, I'm pretty sure I could lie down on a pillow on my side with these...JOY!

I'm listening to the E500's right now through my main rig. They really shine here. I had to turn down the "texture" dial on my PPX3 Slam to about 9-10 o clock to get them to sound good to me (with the tubes I'm using). One of the only potential negatives I have found with the E500's is that they are very loud. I can't get my iPod to 1/3 volume, and with the PPX3, I can barely turn the dial. The negative is that for a lower volume listener like me (I notice at meets the first thing I do is turn the volume down), I don't get much usable volume range. Dialing down the texture knob helps with this a lot. And it's the only thing close to a fault I can find with these things. Well, that and the slight hiss people mention from the iPod, which for me is very slight and only detectable during complete silence (a non-issue for me).

It's not a fair fight, ER4P's vs E500's. The E500's are twice as much. But so were the E5's, and they were never a clear winner like the E500 seems to be. I think the E500 changes the IEM game. It seems to me anyone who is looking remotely close to this price range for IEM's should just buy these. It's with a heavy heart that I switch from Ety to Shure. Nothing against Shure, but I always just really liked Etymotic. But they just haven't created anything (so far) that can compete with the E500.

Congratulations to Shure on a brilliant sounding and very well ergonomically designed IEM, and to audiophiles everywhere - who can come up with $400-$500.

Aug 5, 2006 at 8:06 AM Post #3 of 26
Nice impressions, matt. It's interesting to hear about them from an Ety user's point of view.
I recently had the chance to listen to the ER4s, they were in my posession for two months. Being a Shure user myself, I didn't expect to like the Etys at all, so I was surprised to find myself enjoying the different presentation that they reproduce music with. Going back to my E5c at the time, I still preferred them, but I could tell that the little details were harder to make out than on the Etys. It wasn't enough to change my mind, but now that the E500s have come along, I do rather feel as if I'm getting the best of both worlds. I'm more and more impressed by them every day.
Out of interest, have you tried all of the different tips? I ask because I was amazed at how much better everything sounds through the tri-flanges. Most people prefer the foamies. Whatever you prefer, it's pretty clear that the sound improves hugely once you've found the tip that works best for you, rather than using the first one that fits properly.

Once again, thanks for the good impressions.
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 5, 2006 at 8:16 AM Post #4 of 26
thanks for the thoughts...i'm most certainly a fan of the ety sound and loved the er4p/s before i sold them...i recently tried the UM2 and hated them and your e500 review had peaked my interest a bit more...maybe if/when i sell my amp below (shameless plug
smily_headphones1.gif
) i will pick up a pair of these...

Aug 5, 2006 at 8:51 PM Post #5 of 26
I too agree that these IEM's are superior to the ER4 and are probably the best generic fit IEM on the market, but I'm still in disagreement that the E500 match the UE10 detail and accuracy

To me, the E500 vocals sound muffled and recessed in comparison to the UE10. The charm is simply not there and what you get is a peaky midrange/bass at the expense of the higher frequencies.

-Matt

Aug 5, 2006 at 10:29 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
I too agree that these IEM's are superior to the ER4 and are probably the best generic fit IEM on the market, but I'm still in disagreement that the E500 match the UE10 detail and accuracy

To me, the E500 vocals sound muffled and recessed in comparison to the UE10. The charm is simply not there and what you get is a peaky midrange/bass at the expense of the higher frequencies.

-Matt

Ah but at the cost difference PLUS the fact that one can never sell the UE10 when they get tired of them or that as one ages and the shape of that canal changes, the seal is compromised, I think I can live with those "defects".
wink.gif

Aug 5, 2006 at 10:43 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino
thanks for the thoughts...i'm most certainly a fan of the ety sound and loved the er4p/s before i sold them...i recently tried the UM2 and hated them and your e500 review had peaked my interest a bit more...maybe if/when i sell my amp below (shameless plug
smily_headphones1.gif
) i will pick up a pair of these...

Kugino, what did you hate about the UM2?

I am currently between UM2 with probably customed UM57 or the Shure E500 with the comply tips.

I havent's heard either. but I want the best sound and best comfort for universal IEM fit. since custom UM57 costs around $115, and UM2 $280, they both are about the price of the Shure E500. I like the idea you can lay on your side while you have the E500 in your ears though
rolleyes.gif

Aug 6, 2006 at 6:04 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
Ah but at the cost difference PLUS the fact that one can never sell the UE10 when they get tired of them or that as one ages and the shape of that canal changes, the seal is compromised, I think I can live with those "defects".
wink.gif

If you've actually heard a UE10, I don't think you'd ever want to sell them. There is little evidence that one's canal changes shape with time, either.

I think the Shure E500 is much more comparable to something like the UM2/E5 (albeit better, in my mind) than it is to something like the Sensas/UE10 (having only heard E5/E500/UE10). With the Sensas/UE10, I think you have something that is firmly placed in K1000/RS1/PS1/HE60 type grounds with regard to sound quality. Once you're in this range, the money shouldn't really matter (it certainly doesn't matter to me; the only reason why I have E500 in my possession instead of the UE10 is out of comfort).

Generally, I would take the UE10 over the aforementioned headphones for dynamics, clarity, and detail across all music genres.

-Matt

Aug 6, 2006 at 6:56 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by lolos
Kugino, what did you hate about the UM2?

I am currently between UM2 with probably customed UM57 or the Shure E500 with the comply tips.

I havent's heard either. but I want the best sound and best comfort for universal IEM fit. since custom UM57 costs around $115, and UM2 $280, they both are about the price of the Shure E500. I like the idea you can lay on your side while you have the E500 in your ears though
rolleyes.gif

I have only heard the UM2 briefly at a meet but I did not like them. They are bass-heavy and muddy compared to either my Super.Fi 5 pros I had at the time or the E500s that I also tried at the meet. The UM2 rocked pretty well but they did nothing for jazz or vocals. They also stick out similar to the 5 Pros to my recollection, whereas the E500 "nuzzles into" your ear like Matt said above (perfect description for this wonderful attribute of these IEMs, BTW). You can lie on your side and you can easily fall asleep wearing them like I did last night. Dale of Westone said they are developing more IEMs and that there will be different versions that will appeal to more than just rockers, but I have not heard anything more or followed that up.

BUT, I hate to break it to you but the E500 is $400 at TTVJ, which is the cheapest I have heard them go for. Not quite the same as the others you mentioned. Still worth every penny IMO.

Aug 6, 2006 at 12:15 PM Post #11 of 26
Dang Matt! Just when I had convinced myself that my beloved ER4's were still the shiznit for IEM use, this review comes along and makes me rethink things. My wallet is gonna probably hate you
tongue.gif
!

As an Ety user I read your review with great interest. You bring up some very real-world, practical usage points which I appreciate. I heard the E500's at the National meet and was impressed sonically. However, the larger driver enclosure made insertion much more of a task than I would have liked (the Shure rep had to assist me the first time, in fact). Taking them out and putting them back in with any frequency seemed to be a hassle, unlike my Ety's with the tri-flange tips which go in/out with ease. Plus the Ety's are much lighter. And I can get two pairs of ER4's for the less than the price of one E500.

As you can see, I'm still trying to convince myself to not spend more money
wink.gif

p.s. Did you try the PTH unit? Whaddayathink?

Aug 6, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #12 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
the larger driver enclosure made insertion much more of a task than I would have liked (the Shure rep had to assist me the first time, in fact). Taking them out and putting them back in with any frequency seemed to be a hassle, unlike my Ety's with the tri-flange tips which go in/out with ease. Plus the Ety's are much lighter. And I can get two pairs of ER4's for the less than the price of one E500.

As you can see, I'm still trying to convince myself to not spend more money
wink.gif

p.s. Did you try the PTH unit? Whaddayathink?

you get used to the shape/how that shape fits in each ear very quickly. weight is not an issue.
the only tips that are time consuming are the foamies as you have to allow them to expand to get a proper seal. on my ety's I didn't like the sonics with foam, so never used them, but it had to be about the same in terms of time.
the flange and all the others go in and seal immediately, just as the flange w/the etys does. yea you have to glance at 'em first but as I said it starts to become second nature, hence fast, after a little bit of wearing them.

the sonics are in another league, as you heard. worth the few days it takes to pick up insertion speed.

the pth is useful to me at work, but it does veil things. i've found after a few minutes I remove it because I wanna hear what I'm missing, and every time I do I like the sound more without. BUT, and this may sound silly:

I love the sound of these, but find the highs for my ear come through more transparent/ a bit sparkling as it were/ with the foamies. i find these most comfortable too, now that I've experienced them left in for an hour or more.
Well, as you pointed out, ease of removing and replacing frequently does make a difference. sooo... the pth is helping me to not have to remove the foamies nearly as often. I listen without it usually. but if my neighbor needs to converse, and I don't feel like taking them out, it takes me no time at all and almost zero effort to pop the pth in the path. I pause the music, pop in the pth and turn it on, and I can spend 5 minutes discussing the secret meaning of life without messing with my perfecly sealed and comfortable foamy placement. and when i have to walk to the printer, the fact that I can unplug easily and be mobile with only a short cord dangling is great, I do it all the time. I've also hit the trail to printer and the water cooler with the pth in place, allowing me to monitor the natives and to be polite if someone speaks to me before I get back to my desk. this all adds up to a great deal less removing and reinserting than I always had to do with my ety's (which I've used for many years); and I never get any ear irritation as I did now and then with frequent reinsertion of the ety flanges.

btw, just read yer profile. I is an IT drone also.
and looking at yer rs1's and k1000's; you are just putting off the inevitable re: getting these suckers. they are so much more in league with your best cans. just do it, and you can thank us later!

Aug 6, 2006 at 3:49 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by analog'd
and looking at yer rs1's and k1000's; you are just putting off the inevitable re: getting these suckers. they are so much more in league with your best cans.

And the ER4's aren't?

Best,

-Jason

Aug 6, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #14 of 26
I've been using my ER4s almost everyday for the last 3 1/2 years and have loved them. I recieved the Shure e500s about 24 hours ago and have been listening to them for about 12 hours so far. Half the time I was using in my main system and half the time with my iPod to Silk AudioLineOut to Hornet. I use Shure e2, UM1 and Koss KC-35 for differnt portable uses.

Unfortunately, I'm in the same position as Matt. I say "unfortunate" because it seems that my beloved ER4s days are up. I may use them but they will certainly be regulated to "remember the good ol days" use.

There's been a lot of talk of the detail between both of these headphones, so I'm not going to go into that. I'd like to point out differences in atmosphere, bass, and comfort/build. Here's breifly what I hear to be the main differences (consider the fact I've only heard them for a total of 12hrs so far):

ER4s -
No hiss from main or portable system. The music is liquid and you easily get lost in the Ety world, but lost between your brain. Your mind does not think about things such as decay or soundstage since the Ety sound kind of gets you lost somewhere between the middle of your brain and kind of steers you to pay attention to the atmosphere that is created inside your head.

I always told people that the bass was "just right" with the ER4s. It's accurate and goes low, but it doesn't grab you. It's just there and if you choose to hone it on it, it should please you. Only now can I say that the bass seems lacking to me.

Comfort - once you get used to the Etys, they are the easiest things to insert and take out. I've only had pain on days when I'm wearing them for more than 12 hours straight at work.

Shure e500 -
I get a hiss from my main system with any amp (mpx3, xp7, headfive, ra-1). I do not get a hiss from my iPod to Hornet. I know why people say this sounds more like an open headphone rather than an IEM. The atmosphere created is not centered in the middle of your head like the ER4s. The Shures seem to thicken and take advantage of not just a staright line from one ear to the other, but seems to fill in your entire head with the sound and does it quite nicely. You can even percieve sounds to be coming from outside the head -- so, it's more like it fills in space in-and- around your head, whereas the ER4s seem to hit a straight line between my ears and center to create their magic. Don't get me wrong, this centering effect allows me to get lost in a different world which is truely amazing.

The bass is very nice. Blends in nicely with the rest of the spectrum and I agree that it is not overpowering. It is much more there, and thicker than with the ER4s. I very much prefer the bass presentation of the Shures. The other sounds of the spectrum seem to envelope and play better around the bass.

I'm experimenting with tips right now, but these seem harder to put in and take out right now. I'm sure this is because I have to get used to them. The build looks great and these things are very light and feel solid.

Conclusion -- I think these create two different worlds. I seem to prefer the Shure world right now, but I need more time with them to tell for sure. Again, the main difference I see is that the Etys center their image to create an inside-out effect that you can easily get lost in (which is good). The Shures seem to fill in space much better, leading to the perception of a certain type of decay and soundstage. The Shures seem to play around inside and outside my head, bounceing around and exploring. The Etys hone in to create their magic.

I understand some people will have no idea what I'm saying with this post, but from a long time ER4s user and owner, this is what I hear and just wanted to share. I know Ety owners out there are on the fence with this purchase, and all I can say is that YES, I just bought the hype and it's warranted, and I'm being bold in saying this with only 12 hours on them. I'll let you guys make up your mind of price difference and comparison to UE10's or the new ones coming out -- meanwhile, I have some more enjoying to do
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back