E500 impressions from a ER4P owner
Aug 6, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #16 of 26
Thanks for the additional impressions, h-h. A good companion min-review to analogd's.

Damn you guys
wink.gif
!

Aug 6, 2006 at 5:04 PM Post #17 of 26
Btw, what tips are you guys settling on?

Aug 6, 2006 at 5:25 PM Post #20 of 26
Oh crap. I didn't want to read this. Time to cut the credit cards and transfer my money from checking to savings.

Aug 6, 2006 at 5:34 PM Post #21 of 26
I think my ears are going the other way, because I've been converted from a 4p lover to a 4s lover. Beautifully flat response with everything in proportion, assuming you get the right fit.

It's a shame that all of the current universal dual and triple driver IEMs seem to use this to beef up the bass more than anything else.

Aug 6, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #22 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jjcha
And the ER4's aren't?

Best,

-Jason

not to my ears except in terms of detail. the E500's imaging, bass and tonal balance are much more in evidence than ety's, presenting what to me is a far more complete (and therefore musical) presentation. there is actually some natural decay of notes for cryin out loud!
I always loved my etymotics but never thought they were as close to listening to great speakers as high end akg's and grados are for me. why should they be for 1/2 the price? there have been times that I enjoyed them as much, or even more, than my rs1's because of the isolation they provided. but I had to accept limitations of an iem (imaging, bass, tone palette)... until the E500's.
the E500's at 1/2 what gs1000's and k1000's cost me (before any upgrading of cables) are a bargain in my book. an expensive bargain perhaps, but still...they are much more than 1/2 as good as my best phones, i dunno, maybe 75% - 80% as good or something) and sound that way unamped from my iriver cdp. the etys don't. not er4p's unamped or er4s's amped.

Aug 6, 2006 at 7:25 PM Post #23 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg
Btw, what tips are you guys settling on?

Medium black soft flex sleeve.

Couldn't get a good seal with the triflange, which was my favorite on the e3c, the clear sleeve wasn't comfortable and didn't sound quite as good.

Foam was nice, but it's such a hassle to buy new to replace them all the time.

Aug 6, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #24 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSloth
I think my ears are going the other way, because I've been converted from a 4p lover to a 4s lover. Beautifully flat response with everything in proportion, assuming you get the right fit.

It's a shame that all of the current universal dual and triple driver IEMs seem to use this to beef up the bass more than anything else.

I agree that the ER-4S is better than the ER-4P. Have you tried the E500? I'm somewhat skeptical of multi-driver phones because I believe that a crossover network should only be in the signal path if absolutely necessary as in the case of loudspeakers.

Aug 6, 2006 at 10:11 PM Post #25 of 26
Nice review. I was going to buy the Etys but I didn't really like the neutral sound of it. I think I will start saving up for the E500s now.
tongue.gif

Aug 10, 2006 at 6:10 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pettnolf
Medium black soft flex sleeve.

Couldn't get a good seal with the triflange, which was my favorite on the e3c, the clear sleeve wasn't comfortable and didn't sound quite as good.

Foam was nice, but it's such a hassle to buy new to replace them all the time.

With my E5cs the triple flange provides the sound (especially on the bass end).

When I switch to a new pair of triple flanges the ear seal is easily broken (e.g. if I smile). If you keep wearing them they begin to conform to your ear canal and make a much better fit.

I recommend marking the flanges so that if you take them off you can put them back on with the correct orientation. If you put your nice broken in flanges on cockeyed then you will get a bad seal similar to what happens with new flanges.

With foamies there is a lot of low end bass response missing (compared with triple flanges).

One more thing: there have only been 2 reasons I've replaces the triple flanges:
  • I lost one of the old ones
  • the old flanges eventually stretched so they kept slipping off the IEMs

Users who are viewing this thread

Back