E2c mod... 56K warning
Apr 5, 2007 at 11:05 AM Post #106 of 120
This is my first post, but I've been lurking around here for a while. I have to say though, that this site is addicting and that my wallet hates me for having found my way here...

Anyway, I just tried this mod on my 2 year old set of E2s and frankly, I'm astounded at the difference it makes. It totally changes the sound signature, and not necessarily for the better. Sure, the treble that was so repressed is now boosted, but this mod overdoes it so that the treble now threatens to drown out the rest of the music, so much that the boosted mids that Shure seems to be famous for, actually takes a back seat. Also, the E2's already muddy bass now sounds even worse because of the newfound crispness and volume in the upper range. Because of that, anyone who listens to bass/mid centric music should NOT do this mod. However, fans of Ety products will love what this does. It won't make the E2 sound like an ER4P/S but it does bring it a step closer to the ER6i (which I absolutely can't stand) in some ways.

BTW, anyone saying that this mod doesn't have much of an impact on the sound probably hasn't achieved a proper seal, or needs to visit an audiologist ASAP, seriously.

Apr 5, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #107 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by rewq /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is my first post, but I've been lurking around here for a while. I have to say though, that this site is addicting and that my wallet hates me for having found my way here...

Anyway, I just tried this mod on my 2 year old set of E2s and frankly, I'm astounded at the difference it makes. It totally changes the sound signature, and not necessarily for the better. Sure, the treble that was so repressed is now boosted, but this mod overdoes it so that the treble now threatens to drown out the rest of the music, so much that the boosted mids that Shure seems to be famous for, actually takes a back seat. Also, the E2's already muddy bass now sounds even worse because of the newfound crispness and volume in the upper range. Because of that, anyone who listens to bass/mid centric music should NOT do this mod. However, fans of Ety products will love what this does. It won't make the E2 sound like an ER4P/S but it does bring it a step closer to the ER6i (which I absolutely can't stand) in some ways.

BTW, anyone saying that this mod doesn't have much of an impact on the sound probably hasn't achieved a proper seal, or needs to visit an audiologist ASAP, seriously.

muddy bass? the e2's barely have any bass in the first place, and it's a tight accurate bass.

my point was to show you that people have different ears and they'll hear things differently. you can't just say people have bad ears because they can't hear a big impact from this mod. i love this mod and love what it does to open up the e2c's and they are MUCH better IMO. again...i'd just like to say that i disagreed with almost everything you said. especially about the bass and the mids. you might need a visit to an audiologist ASAP, seriously.

Apr 9, 2007 at 1:14 AM Post #108 of 120
I just tried this mod. The right side came off relatively easy, but the left side was really stubborn. I ended up chipping the tube while trying to get it off and had to shave it off bit by bit with a knife.

The sound definitely is opened up. I can't believe there's such a big difference. The bass sounds untouched, but the treble is so shrill that sometimes it hurts my ears. Definitely worth doing, I never realized how 'speaker through a tunnel' the E2C's sounded before.

May 17, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #109 of 120
I realized that the ease in which the washer came out depended on the paperclip used. The first paperclip I tried just did not work at all. No matter how hard I pulled the washer would not come out at all. The second one worked like a charm - got both washers out on the first try, So if you are having trouble try switching paperclips!!

May 17, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #110 of 120
@ rewq

1. Welcome to Head fi
biggrin.gif

2 Sorry about your hearing (j/k), but I agree in large part with souperman
3 IME, mids are still good!
4 Perhaps you should check your seal
wink.gif

5 Of course, this whole headphone thing is subjective and maybe, hating
the 6i as you said, this mod simply wasn't ever for you, but nothing
ventured...

Look on the bright side, time you bought some E500s anyway
biggrin.gif

Jun 15, 2007 at 4:23 AM Post #111 of 120
I've had these IEMs for about a year and 1/2. Removed the washer but ended up cracking the end so maybe 60% is level and 30% is broken. No biggie so I'll just put a small drop of glue at the bottom of the sleeve so there is no risk of it losing grip and getting stuck in my ear.. ugh its happened before and thats no fun.

As far as the sound goes it got much brighter and the bass is more defined so overall 50% better sound. It completely removed the tunnel effect which was one reason I never put much use into these babies. I mainly liked to use these for podcasts and audiobooks. Now looks as though thats going to change.
smily_headphones1.gif

So put down another highly recommended mod to try on your E2C's. Even moreso if you've got better IEMs with nothing to lose. Great hand-me-downs to someone or just be stingy like myself.

EDIT: Forgot to mention I consider Eric Clapton Live concert to be my reference album. I can now hear his fingers sliding down the fret board, cant say I've ever noticed before.

Jun 20, 2007 at 9:17 PM Post #112 of 120
i just did this mod as well, and its awesome.

noticeable improvement in two areas
-tunnel sound
-lack of highs

bass seems to be less forced. more natural and it doesnt "bottom out" as often or as noticeable

A+

Jun 24, 2007 at 4:12 AM Post #115 of 120
Quote:

Originally Posted by infi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've never tried Marshmellows but some say that they're better than the kramer-E2cs

True? er no?

Marshmellows pretty cheap. Next time I'm at Best Buy I'll pickup a pair and do some A/Bs with the E2's.

To be sure someone has both though. Anyone? I'm wondering this myself.

Jun 24, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #116 of 120
Is this mod really that good? I am thinking about buying my first IEMs and I am a bit confused now. My candidates so far are Shure E3, E4 and UE SF5Pro. Could somebody compare them to this modded E2? I do not expect them to be equal but for 1/3 price of E4 ... i hesitate.

Jun 27, 2007 at 3:34 AM Post #117 of 120
Thanks for this mod kramer, this mod makes an awesome improvement. I used a knife to pop the washers out of my e2cs and it took about 30 seconds. Can't believe how much better these sound now.

I've owned my e2cs for about 9 months now and while I love the isolation they offer, they always sounded a bit boring to me. Now they're more enjoyable.

Sep 7, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #118 of 120
Just popped the washers out of my E2Gs (mangled and broke off the end of a paperclip in the process
eek.gif
). Just wondering though, what are people doing about the fact that there's nothing keeping fluff and small objects from falling into the nozzle?
blink.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 3:44 AM Post #120 of 120
HUGE bump, but i have to say that this helped resurrect my e2cs. i bought them and never really liked them at all so they stayed in a drawer for like 4 years, but i found this thread and tried it out. it really does help the sound of these things.

i listened to "My Morning Jacket - At Dawn" and jim james' reverberated voice and guitar sound simply magical -- especially on "Death is the Easy Way." i did find that on some albums such as Death Cab for Cutie's "Transatlanticism" the high-end was very muddy. it could be the recording though because when i listened to Dave Brubeck's "Take Five," the piano and sax at the beginning had a very nice "air" surrounding them. joe morello's drums sound amazing though. his ride cymbal and snare drum sound HUGE... the sax can be a bit fatiguing though, but everything sounds ace. the drum solo is wonderful, the standup bass has some awesome transients.

i wouldn't have been able to sit through any of this with the pre-modded e2cs, so thanks kramer!

EDIT: these IEMs are VERY detailed in the upper-range now. you can EASILY hear the sound of the recording room on old jazz, especially on vinyl. very nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back