E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
Nov 21, 2019 at 2:56 AM Post #395 of 1,501
If ever E1DA releases a 9038 version with “dragonfly” levels of power consumption (IOS and Android), then I’ll bite..
Have you actually used the 9038 ? Power consumption not excessive off my phone powering planars. It is the big unit PDV2 that is the real powerhog.

Nov 21, 2019 at 3:32 AM Post #396 of 1,501
Have you actually used the 9038 ? Power consumption not excessive off my phone powering planars. It is the big unit PDV2 that is the real powerhog.

No, not yet.. I really like that it is well engineered in terms of performance (to price ratio), but for my main portable use it is just too impractical for me to plug in and lug around a power bank in there too, especially for IOS..

Nov 21, 2019 at 3:35 AM Post #397 of 1,501
No, not yet.. I really like that it is well engineered in terms of performance (to price ratio), but for my main portable use it is just too impractical for me to plug in and lug around a power bank in there too, especially for IOS..
That's what I'm saying...initial worries over 9038 power suck unfounded IMO.
No powerbank needed with V2 unless that is a quirk of iOS.
It is PDV2 that eats battery percentages 1% a minute or something due to its excess heat generation.
9038 barely gets hot with my planars.

I'd hold off for 9038X with hardware volume controls.....it is only upgrade on dac/amp side I see me doing next year. Can focus more on IEMs and cans with that side taken care off vs endless new combos of separate DAC/amps...only one that gets me curious is Sabaj D5 with the full desktop 9038 chip inside....but probably indistinguishable in blind tests over E1DA9038S.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 5:20 AM Post #398 of 1,501
Agreed. The power draw issue is way overblown on the 9038S. Perfectly manageable for mobile use. Tested with a V30 and a oneplus 7T.

Nov 21, 2019 at 6:00 AM Post #399 of 1,501
That's what I'm saying...initial worries over 9038 power suck unfounded IMO.
No powerbank needed with V2 unless that is a quirk of iOS.
It is PDV2 that eats battery percentages 1% a minute or something due to its excess heat generation.
9038 barely gets hot with my planars.

I'd hold off for 9038X with hardware volume controls.....it is only upgrade on dac/amp side I see me doing next year. Can focus more on IEMs and cans with that side taken care off vs endless new combos of separate DAC/amps...only one that gets me curious is Sabaj D5 with the full desktop 9038 chip inside....but probably indistinguishable in blind tests over E1DA9038S.
9038X likely won't happen since the XMOS chip power consumption is very high. But the 9038S Gen3 will come with volume control same as the 9038D just not sure when.

Nov 21, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #400 of 1,501
Exactly. Powerdraw does not matter when you have this excellent sound that beats most other inferior mobile DACs.

Nov 21, 2019 at 1:14 PM Post #401 of 1,501
So, do any of you guy's use the 9038S more than four hours a day from your phone and also use the phone as normal for 12-14 hours and don't have a problem with the battery running flat?

Nov 22, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #402 of 1,501
So, do any of you guy's use the 9038S more than four hours a day from your phone and also use the phone as normal for 12-14 hours and don't have a problem with the battery running flat?
more than 4 hours of listening along with 12-14 hours of normal usage? This device does not meet your use-case. It doesn't have an internal battery, it needs to draw power from your phone. We are all stating that the power draw is not significant, in that it won't drain your phone 1% per minute or anything like that. But it will absolutely accelerate your battery drain... it has to get power from somewhere.
For you I would consider an amp with a dedicated battery such as the Fiio BTR3/5. You could also carry around a powerbank with you but that kills the mobility benefit. The 9038S is a small & powerful device, but for all the benefits you have to accept some compromise.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 9:32 AM Post #403 of 1,501
more than 4 hours of listening along with 12-14 hours of normal usage? This device does not meet your use-case. It doesn't have an internal battery, it needs to draw power from your phone. We are all stating that the power draw is not significant, in that it won't drain your phone 1% per minute or anything like that. But it will absolutely accelerate your battery drain... it has to get power from somewhere.
For you I would consider an amp with a dedicated battery such as the Fiio BTR3/5. You could also carry around a powerbank with you but that kills the mobility benefit. The 9038S is a small & powerful device, but for all the benefits you have to accept some compromise.

I've got this already and does indeed don't find it particularly useful as a portable solution. For that I prefer the ES100 or some of my dongles.

I'm just having a hard time to see anyone that actually use their phone for other things to be happy with the battery life paired with the ES9038S but I can see that I'm probably in the minority here. That being said, at home or in a hotel room that works fine for me.

Nov 22, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #404 of 1,501
....with a 5000mAh battery in my Asus phone and just using phone lightly (screen not always on) it goes for ages with 9038s.

Nov 22, 2019 at 3:49 PM Post #405 of 1,501
I've got this already and does indeed don't find it particularly useful as a portable solution. For that I prefer the ES100 or some of my dongles.

I'm just having a hard time to see anyone that actually use their phone for other things to be happy with the battery life paired with the ES9038S but I can see that I'm probably in the minority here. That being said, at home or in a hotel room that works fine for me.

Ah. So we're two, the thing is designed to power hungry planars, why would I power planars with my phone, given I'd be at home?

Doesn't make sense to me, however I'm interested in the product to plug on my workplace laptop to power 400-600 ohms earbuds, but I'm waiting for the 9038D, especially as power draw (which will be roughly twice as the 9038s) is the least of my concern in this scenario.

I don't want to have a desktop dac at work, it'd attract way too much attention, and a battery device like the topping nx4 or xduoo XD-05 plus doesn't make sense, don't need the battery. Most common USB dac have a crappy 50 mw output, so the E1DA fills a niche here.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back