E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
Nov 22, 2019 at 4:23 PM Post #406 of 1,483
..and with E1DA you have the choice for two completely different concepts that are both pocket size.. and with 9030d another choice when its done.

with a built in tinitus i have no problems with any for me impossible to recognize pdv2 noisefloor on super sensitive IEMS when you got your own noisefloor :wink: and that Thing drives my all planar headphones like bullettrain

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 7:23 PM Post #408 of 1,483
Just got my 9038s... Hearing tremendous interference (hiss pops, crackling) if my phone is not on Airplane mode... Anyone else experiencing this?
nope you're not the only one. it's not offensively bad, and it only happens occasionally, but I do hear it. I found the same thing, it all goes away if I put it in airplane mode. Sadly I think this is a phone issue.

Nov 23, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #409 of 1,483
nope you're not the only one. it's not offensively bad, and it only happens occasionally, but I do hear it. I found the same thing, it all goes away if I put it in airplane mode. Sadly I think this is a phone issue.
If I plug directly into my Galaxy S9 to power the 9038S, I've been hearing noise when I use an IEM. But if I use a power bank, the noise goes away. I think that's good evidence that the source of the noise is the phone, at least for me.

Nov 23, 2019 at 9:49 PM Post #410 of 1,483
Sorry for the dumb question:

The OP warns about single ended to balanced adapters but is the reverse fine to use? That is, instead of swapping cables on my IEMs to single ended ones when I'm going to use a single ended source, can I use an adapter to turn a 2.5mm balanced output to a 3.5mm single ended? After some reading I'm a bit paranoid about MMCX connectors and an adapter on the output seems like it could be an alright idea.

Nov 23, 2019 at 9:52 PM Post #411 of 1,483
If I plug directly into my Galaxy S9 to power the 9038S, I've been hearing noise when I use an IEM. But if I use a power bank, the noise goes away. I think that's good evidence that the source of the noise is the phone, at least for me.
you can also connect it to a PC/laptop, you won't hear any noise.
Though connecting the 9038S to my laptop made me realize something... source still matters. The SQ was noticeably flatter & less dynamic from my windows laptop. Can anyone explain why this is the case? Does the 9038 have custom drivers on PC that can improve the sound? I just let windows 10 auto-detect it. On my oneplus 7T the SQ is noticeably improved using UAPP which by-passes android sound sampling vs "normal" music players.
It just surprises me how much different this DAC can sound depending on source... you'd think it would be fairly consistent. This also makes me consider getting a DAP. I've heard of folks combining the 9038S with DAPs with excellent results... but to me that just seems like you're defeating the purpose of a DAP by adding an external DAC

Nov 23, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #412 of 1,483
Though connecting the 9038S to my laptop made me realize something... source still matters. The SQ was noticeably flatter & less dynamic from my windows laptop. Can anyone explain why this is the case? Does the 9038 have custom drivers on PC that can improve the sound? I just let windows 10 auto-detect it. On my oneplus 7T the SQ is noticeably improved using UAPP which by-passes android sound sampling vs "normal" music players.
It just surprises me how much different this DAC can sound depending on source... you'd think it would be fairly consistent. This also makes me consider getting a DAP. I've heard of folks combining the 9038S with DAPs with excellent results... but to me that just seems like you're defeating the purpose of a DAP by adding an external DAC
Unfortunately, I get noise when plugged into my laptop. I get the cleanest sound from my phone with the power bank.

Nov 23, 2019 at 10:53 PM Post #414 of 1,483
In terms of hissing, crackling, etc, I think I have the root cause nailed down, at least in my case. Earlier today I was at an outdoor venue and my phone was not connected to a WiFi signal, only cellular. Interference galore! When I turned on Airplane mode, no interference. In both cases I was playing music stored on my cell phone.

Now I am home, with my phone connected to my wifi and not using my cellular. Quiet as I could wish for.

Just a data point, but I think this points to the noise being related to the cellular connection. Is it interference - either being picked up by an unshielded circuit in the 9038s or the usb cable I am using to connect my phone and 9038s?

I am getting a new cable tomorrow, and I can see. Also I am thinking about wrapping the 9038s and / cable in aluminum foil to see if that cuts the interference.

I really hope there is a way to cut the interference, as I would like to use this unit when I am on the go and my phone will be pretty useless as a phone if I have to keep it in airplane mode... :frowning2:. It might make a nice desktop solution, but I already have some really good desktop solutions...

Nov 24, 2019 at 3:10 AM Post #415 of 1,483
In terms of hissing, crackling, etc, I think I have the root cause nailed down, at least in my case. Earlier today I was at an outdoor venue and my phone was not connected to a WiFi signal, only cellular. Interference galore! When I turned on Airplane mode, no interference. In both cases I was playing music stored on my cell phone.

Now I am home, with my phone connected to my wifi and not using my cellular. Quiet as I could wish for.

Just a data point, but I think this points to the noise being related to the cellular connection. Is it interference - either being picked up by an unshielded circuit in the 9038s or the usb cable I am using to connect my phone and 9038s?

I am getting a new cable tomorrow, and I can see. Also I am thinking about wrapping the 9038s and / cable in aluminum foil to see if that cuts the interference.

I really hope there is a way to cut the interference, as I would like to use this unit when I am on the go and my phone will be pretty useless as a phone if I have to keep it in airplane mode... :frowning2:. It might make a nice desktop solution, but I already have some really good desktop solutions...

You could try clip-on anti-RFI ferrite core barrels on the USB cable.Very cheap....come in various sizes.
Just need to clip on tight...can even do 1 each end of the cable...some say they can dull the sound, but I think that is
in the realms of imagination on a binary transmission cable.
51omn5Pu8OL._SX342_.jpg

Nov 24, 2019 at 7:12 AM Post #416 of 1,483
Sorry for the dumb question:

The OP warns about single ended to balanced adapters but is the reverse fine to use? That is, instead of swapping cables on my IEMs to single ended ones when I'm going to use a single ended source, can I use an adapter to turn a 2.5mm balanced output to a 3.5mm single ended? After some reading I'm a bit paranoid about MMCX connectors and an adapter on the output seems like it could be an alright idea.

Yep, 3.5mm single ended male to 2.5mm balanced female is the way to avoid constant cable changes.

Nov 24, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #417 of 1,483

That might be player + output driver dependant, I notice a difference in clarity using foobar with the wasabi output plugin, vs say vlc

Nov 24, 2019 at 2:27 PM Post #419 of 1,483
I got a 90° USB C to C, from a Shanling UP, only 10cm.
Bummer I can't find that cable alone for sale :/
I saw that one and I still can't understand how noone sells similar cable. So far I've only seen one on taobao, but I have no experience with forwarding companies..
I even messages a few sites which makes custom usb cables, nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back