E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
Nov 26, 2019 at 12:54 AM Post #437 of 1,483
Oh another alternative, asking this guy on AliExpress to make a right angled ribbon cable.

Screenshot_20191126-053207712.jpg Screenshot_20191126-053314883.jpg Screenshot_20191126-053404162.jpg

Nov 26, 2019 at 2:47 AM Post #438 of 1,483
I've had no problems with it.

I haven't done an exhaustive battery test with it but I've listened to that combo for 5 hours in one sitting, not sure how much battery was left when I had to turn it off.

Thanks! That's enough information for me, can't wait for my V1 to arrive....

Nov 26, 2019 at 9:55 AM Post #440 of 1,483
PowerDac is considered having a warmer sound between the 2 devices.

Nov 26, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #441 of 1,483
nice, i search for warm sound. will the 9038 will good?

Is there a serious difference in sound between the player itself v1 and the extra duck mode?

The 9038S is not warm, rather quite neutral to my ears. The V2 is a lot warmer but I do prefer the 9038S personally. I bought the V1 without analog output and it still hasn't arrived.....

Nov 28, 2019 at 12:37 PM Post #442 of 1,483
I am a new owner of the 9038s and the PoweDAC.

Lots of great things are written about these so I won’t repeat those. But nothing is perfect and each of these products have something that might disqualify them for some people, and I want to make sure these issues are clearly stated (yes written about elsewhere but since this thread is 30 pages, and almost all of them filled with tributes, sprinkling in every now and then reminders that nothing is perfect is probably a public service :) )

For those considering the 9038s as a portable DAC / Amp to run off their cell phones, this is a great solution... but... if you are someone that highly bothered by interference noise, and you want to use the 9038s with your cell phone, don’t get this. Seems that cellular signals (but at least for me not WiFi) are picked up as pops, crackling, etc. I am fine as I don’t hear it when playing music at reasonable levels, but I know for some they will consider this a disqualification - pages and pages of complaints about interference is written about on some DAP threads about interference with particular DAPs, so I know this really bothers some people.

For those considering the PowerDAC as a desktop / transportable solution, it is great! But, one major flaw. The PowerDAC will revert to full power when it boots up. You have to go into the Bluetooth app (it is controlled via a Bluetooth but does not play via Bluetooth) and lower the volume. You will be blasted by VERY LOUD sound if you forget. Like I have. Multiple times.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #443 of 1,483
I am a new owner of the 9038s and the PoweDAC.

Lots of great things are written about these so I won’t repeat those. But nothing is perfect and each of these products have something that might disqualify them for some people, and I want to make sure these issues are clearly stated (yes written about elsewhere but since this thread is 30 pages, and almost all of them filled with tributes, sprinkling in every now and then reminders that nothing is perfect is probably a public service :) )

For those considering the 9038s as a portable DAC / Amp to run off their cell phones, this is a great solution... but... if you are someone that highly bothered by interference noise, and you want to use the 9038s with your cell phone, don’t get this. Seems that cellular signals (but at least for me not WiFi) are picked up as pops, crackling, etc. I am fine as I don’t hear it when playing music at reasonable levels, but I know for some they will consider this a disqualification - pages and pages of complaints about interference is written about on some DAP threads about interference with particular DAPs, so I know this really bothers some people.

For those considering the PowerDAC as a desktop / transportable solution, it is great! But, one major flaw. The PowerDAC will revert to full power when it boots up. You have to go into the Bluetooth app (it is controlled via a Bluetooth but does not play via Bluetooth) and lower the volume. You will be blasted by VERY LOUD sound if you forget. Like I have. Multiple times.

There is a workaround for that if I remeber...you save a low volume preset as default.

Nov 28, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #444 of 1,483
Soooooo, just got a custom shells pair of Musicmaker BL1 planar magnetic IEMs to pair with 9038s, and boy do they pair.....

( Optional nozzle foam mod to tame treble a notch and increase subs with no EQ )

...truly stellar out E1DA un-EQ'd...natural side of neutral tonality...great micro-detail transmission and imaging...'headstage' comes out just kind of in front of eyes, where I like it.
You need to tiproll though, as most know, stock tips usually hold back the full potential...very transformative with that...Great sub extension and instrument decays indicate the sweetspot.
I may mess around with longer bore spinfit tips as I think that works better with planar IEMs overall SQ...especially in bringing out low-end.

Looking forward to 9038S V3 so I can Appzap soundflowerpot on MacOS re. volume control systemwide..PITA

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 2:34 PM Post #446 of 1,483
Soooooo, just got a custom shells pair of Musicmaker BL1 planar magnetic IEMs...truly stellar out E1DA un-EQ'd...natural side of neutral tonality...great micro-detail transmission and imaging...'headstage' comes out just kind of in front of face where I like it.
You need to tiproll though, as most know, stock tips usually hold back the full potential...very transformative with that...Great sub extension and instrument decays indicate the sweetspot.
I may mess around with longer bore spinfit tips as I think that works better with planar IEMs overall SQ...

Looking forward to 9038S V3 so I can appzap soundflowerpot on MacOS re. volume control systemwide..

Have you ever heard the **** MT100?

Nov 28, 2019 at 2:41 PM Post #447 of 1,483
Have you ever heard the **** MT100?
Nope, thing I like about the planar IEM deal is one driver for coherence across the delivery.....dat planar presentation....I can endure a higher amount of treble off these vs most lower priced BA treble...as a bit treble sensitive...hence liking mono 1060C planar...LCD2C etc...
The decays on BL1 remind me of LZA2 which had something special in that region....a lucky accidentand 9038S holding nothing nor adding any brittleness like old school 9018 Sabrezzzzzz.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #448 of 1,483
Nope, thing I like about the planar IEM deal is one driver for coherence across the delivery.....dat planar presentation....I can endure a higher amount of treble off these vs most lower priced BA treble...as a bit treble sensitive...hence liking mono 1060C planar...LCD2C etc...
The decays on BL1 remind me of LZA2 which had something special in that region....a lucky accidentand 9038S holding nothing nor adding any brittleness like old school 9018 Sabrezzzzzz.

Thanks! I really enjoy the MT100 and have always been intrigued by the BL1, just afraid they're to similar. The MT100 is really flat (probably the most flat, in a good way, I've ever heard) with bass that goes deep but it does lack some impact, how's the bass impact on the BL1?

Sorry for the OT but I do plan to use them with the 9038S :wink:

Nov 28, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #449 of 1,483
Thanks! I really enjoy the MT100 and have always been intrigued by the BL1, just afraid they're to similar. The MT100 is really flat (probably the most flat, in a good way, I've ever heard) with bass that goes deep but it does lack some impact, how's the bass impact on the BL1?

Sorry for the OT but I do plan to use them with the 9038S :wink:
Extended and controlled un-EQ'd vs impact at my listening levels. Am going to do the sponge mods on all ports maybe.

Nov 28, 2019 at 3:20 PM Post #450 of 1,483
Extended and controlled un-EQ'd vs impact at my listening levels. Am going to do the sponge mods on all ports maybe.

Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back