E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
Aug 10, 2021 at 1:37 PM Post #1,306 of 1,483
The E1DA 9038D never ceases to amaze me with how such a capable device can fit in this small of a form factor. I've been using it for a couple months now and it's become my go-to for both PC and mobile setups. It managed to replace my O2/ODAC, and has small but noticeable improvements to imaging/clarity on my HD650s. Excellent on all the IEMs I've tried with it. Dead neutral sound. Truly an outstanding value for its price.
At any price I dare say.

Aug 21, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #1,307 of 1,483
I just flashed my E1DA 9038D to the tube mode, obtained the firmware from here: https://e1dashz.wixsite.com/index/9038d

The tube mode apparently increases 2nd order harmonics and indeed on doing A/B testing of the tube mode versus the stock mode, the tube mode is subtly a bit more euphonic and musical (though maybe there is a slight loss of clarity/edge definition). Worth a try for 9038D owners, but don't touch the device when flashing, else there's a chance of bricking it!!!

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2021 at 4:14 AM Post #1,308 of 1,483
Oh, that is a nice feature. Didn't realize. Was there a mode for the balanced model.

Aug 21, 2021 at 4:19 AM Post #1,309 of 1,483
Oh, that is a nice feature. Didn't realize. Was there a mode for the balanced model.

Yes the 9038S can be flashed too. The instructions and firmware can all be downloaded from this link: https://e1dashz.wixsite.com/index/9038s. The tube mode is called slow SE. There's other firmwares to explore there, but they are all generally rather subtle changes from the stock sound.

But once again, please flash the E1DA at your own risk, I've heard of others bricking other dongles during this process, so be careful!!

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2021 at 8:29 AM Post #1,310 of 1,483
I just flashed my E1DA 9038D to the tube mode, obtained the firmware from here: https://e1dashz.wixsite.com/index/9038d

The tube mode apparently increases 2nd order harmonics and indeed on doing A/B testing of the tube mode versus the stock mode, the tube mode is subtly a bit more euphonic and musical (though maybe there is a slight loss of clarity/edge definition). Worth a try for 9038D owners, but don't touch the device when flashing, else there's a chance of bricking it!!!
Does your Shanling Q1 DAP work with the 9038D? I'm looking for a simple transport solution for this other than my phone.

Aug 24, 2021 at 8:43 AM Post #1,311 of 1,483
Does your Shanling Q1 DAP work with the 9038D? I'm looking for a simple transport solution for this other than my phone.

It is too loud to pair with the Q1. Even at 1% volume low gain on the Q1. Unless u go into the firmware mods to try to limit the volume of the 9038D, it can be done, but I use it on my laptop too, so that limits the max volume on my laptop for more power demanding cans.

Sep 5, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #1,312 of 1,483
Does anyone use the 9038D with tidal on android? Any help would be appreciated before purchase.

Sep 5, 2021 at 5:39 AM Post #1,313 of 1,483
Does anyone use the 9038D with tidal on android? Any help would be appreciated before purchase.
yes i use tidal via Uapp on 9038D

Sep 5, 2021 at 6:08 AM Post #1,314 of 1,483
yes i use tidal via Uapp on 9038D
Can you please run a check for bit-perfect playback on android?
Since July, Tidal has pushed an update that allows complete bit-perfect playback with the stock app instead of going to UAPP. It works on my Shanlinga UA2, but not the Lotoo PAW S1. Could you please cross-check if it works?
You just have to use the Tidal app without giving UAPP exclusive access to the DAC. Similar to how UAPP asks for it, Tidal will too. For some DACs the prompt never arrives, on other occasions like the lotoo paw s1, even after the prompt arrives and access is given, the audio playback is all static.
Some help in this would be very useful.

Sep 5, 2021 at 6:39 AM Post #1,315 of 1,483
Can you please run a check for bit-perfect playback on android?
Since July, Tidal has pushed an update that allows complete bit-perfect playback with the stock app instead of going to UAPP. It works on my Shanlinga UA2, but not the Lotoo PAW S1. Could you please cross-check if it works?
You just have to use the Tidal app without giving UAPP exclusive access to the DAC. Similar to how UAPP asks for it, Tidal will too. For some DACs the prompt never arrives, on other occasions like the lotoo paw s1, even after the prompt arrives and access is given, the audio playback is all static.
Some help in this would be very useful.
I just downloaded tidal, and it asked for usb dac access, pressed ok, and playback is working fine.

Attachments

• photo1630838314.jpeg
    photo1630838314.jpeg
    87 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sep 5, 2021 at 6:43 AM Post #1,316 of 1,483
I just downloaded tidal, and it asked for usb dac access, and playback is working fine.
Like there is distinct sound quality difference between non-exclusive and exclusive access right? Theoretically, it should sound as detailed as UAPP.

Sep 5, 2021 at 7:29 AM Post #1,317 of 1,483
I tried a/b multiple times, the sound seems similar when i give the usb dac access to tidal, but somehow uapp can go to even more louder levels (full eida 9038D level). But if i dont give tidal access, sound quality is not tht gd also max volume lvl is much lower. In Tidal app there is no way i can check that bitperfect is working or not.

Sep 5, 2021 at 7:31 AM Post #1,318 of 1,483
I tried a/b multiple times, the sound seems similar when i give the usb dac access to tidal, but somehow uapp can go to even more louder levels (full eida 9038D level). But if i dont give tidal access, sound quality is not tht gd also max volume lvl is much lower. In Tidal app there is no way i can check that bitperfect is working or not.
Ah no issues. Thank you so much for the information!

Sep 5, 2021 at 7:44 AM Post #1,319 of 1,483
@kemba1291 Bro you should ask @staticV3 on Eida Discord for more detailed info. Im confused as if the max volume lvl is not matching even after giving exclusive access then may be both apps accessing dac differently?

Sep 5, 2021 at 7:48 AM Post #1,320 of 1,483
@kemba1291 Bro you should ask @staticV3 on Eida Discord for more detailed info. Im confused as if the max volume lvl is not matching even after giving exclusive access then may be both apps accessing dac differently?
Thank you, I'll do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back