E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
Jun 12, 2021 at 9:48 AM Post #1,276 of 1,483
Ok, so i'm now using this contraption, and it definitely sounds better and more 3d, i will try to change the mck firmware but the volume will be too loud as i limit it with the android app. At least this gives me hope and i will try to optimize the cables..maybe use a Y Cable or something on my android. I am used to my Zoom UAC2 sound card which has a AKM 4396 dac (i know people will bash it for being a sound card but it sounds really good to my ears) and a THX 789 Amp. I use Tri I3 Iems, heart mirror iems, AKG K712 pro headphones.Thanks a lot everyone
I use the E1DA with the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro, the Takstar HF 580 cans and Neutron Player. That sounds much better than my multi-thousand € living room audio system which I perfected more than 40 years. Sometimes I still use my old Sony DATman which has an ancient 1bit/256x upsampling DAC which still sounds great, too. All this talk about DAC differences is hype IMHO. What is important with a DAC is the line-stage, I'm in favour of (preferably NOS) tubes. If you like the sound of tubes, too you should get the tweak app I guess. Even though my stationary DAC, a Cayin DA-2 with German CCa tubes is the best DAC I ever heard I don't need the tweak app. The sound straight out of the E1DA 9038D is absolutely right for me.

Jun 12, 2021 at 10:32 AM Post #1,277 of 1,483
I use the E1DA with the Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 Pro, the Takstar HF 580 cans and Neutron Player. That sounds much better than my multi-thousand € living room audio system which I perfected more than 40 years. Sometimes I still use my old Sony DATman which has an ancient 1bit/256x upsampling DAC which still sounds great, too. All this talk about DAC differences is hype IMHO. What is important with a DAC is the line-stage, I'm in favour of (preferably NOS) tubes. If you like the sound of tubes, too you should get the tweak app I guess. Even though my stationary DAC, a Cayin DA-2 with German CCa tubes is the best DAC I ever heard I don't need the tweak app. The sound straight out of the E1DA 9038D is absolutely right for me.
Is there a tutorial on how to use that part of the app?

Jun 12, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #1,278 of 1,483
As I said, I don't use the app. I like the E1DA as it is. Perfect sound for my old/experienced ears.:beyersmile:

It seems the E1DA uses a class A amplifier because it's getting quite hot. The best. I'm a purist and use only real tubes because every tube has its own sound signature. It's not about "tube sound" but the best sound. Adding some "sweet" distortion doesn't help IMHO.

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #1,280 of 1,483
Hey I’m interested in getting the 9038d but was worried about the lte noise I was wondering if anyone had any experience with it thanks!
No noise. If you get noise you should put your phone on airplane mode.

Jun 28, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #1,282 of 1,483
Hi!
Just to share my experience.
I have the Power Dac 2.1
Unbalanced mode works like a charm.
Unbalanced boost, I do not like it, weird crossfeed effect.
There is no IEM mode, it's a shame.
I have some hiss with every headphones and IEM I have, but it's not that a problem. Tried different type B cables, different headphones cables, balanced and unbalanced.
On my phone I use hiby music player with only hardware control, so I do not have to use the app, this is perfect.
On windows it seems I do not have the choice, I have to use the app or put the system volume at 100/100 and use only the volume control of Foobar, which is better than the system volume control. The problem is that I prefer mpv that I configure in wasapi exclusive mode. I did not find hardware volume control in mpv. So android is way ahead windows regarding sound management...

Anyway with this PD2.1 I feel that I stepped up a lot after the apple dongle and the chord Mojo, which is a very very good thing !!

Jun 28, 2021 at 4:56 AM Post #1,283 of 1,483
Hi!
I have the Power Dac 2.1
I have some hiss with every headphones and IEM I have, but it's not that a problem. Tried different type B cables, different headphones cables, balanced and unbalanced.
On my phone I use hiby music player with only hardware control, so I do not have to use the app, this is perfect.
On windows it seems I do not have the choice, I have to use the app or put the system volume at 100/100 and use only the volume control of Foobar, which is better than the system volume control. The problem is that I prefer mpv that I configure in wasapi exclusive mode. I did not find hardware volume control in mpv. So android is way ahead windows regarding sound management...

Anyway with this PD2.1 I feel that I stepped up a lot after the apple dongle and the chord Mojo, which is a very very good thing !!
Wow, so in your opinion the PD 2.1 sounds even better than the Mojo?

Jun 28, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #1,284 of 1,483
In my personal subjective opinion yes by far. I find it more neutral, and better dynamics, better clarity. The Mojo is too smooth on the highs to my taste, and feel conjested in comparison to the 2.1.

Jun 28, 2021 at 9:15 PM Post #1,285 of 1,483
Just got my PowerDAC v2.1 also. Sounds heavenly with the Sundara. Endgame level sound. Only missing the slam and punch of more dynamic drivers but the midrange, soundstage, detail is excellent and euphoric.

P1's sound great too. Although, I hear a bit of sibilance with the 'P1 true harmon preset' and foam tips. Still trying out the other presets to see which I like the most.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2021 at 2:23 AM Post #1,286 of 1,483
I really struggle to find cheap balanced cables to fit my 2.1.
https://openheart.aliexpress.com/store/5883019
I ordered this (really nice) cable, it fits my he400i but not my nightowl nor 1more triple, the connectors are to thick. I'm looking for thin connectors.
Somebody could help me please ?

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2021 at 6:58 AM Post #1,287 of 1,483
Hi!
I have the Power Dac 2.1

For sensitive IEMs, try this: https://penonaudio.com/earphone-adapters/l-shaped-impedance-adapter.html
I bought the 100ohm version 2.5mm for my Fiio FD5 and it works like a charm. You need to boost volume by about 12dB but the hiss is gone and the overall sound is the same to my ears.

Jul 2, 2021 at 7:03 AM Post #1,288 of 1,483
Thanks for the help. I should have been more precise. I'm looking for 2x2.5mm to balanced 2.5mm.

I also found something interesting yesterday. I have a midi controller Arturia Keystep 37 and it's delivered with an antiground loop USB B adapter. I had noise coming from my PC on the powerdac 2.1 but with this adapter, no noise anymore.

EDIT : https://external-preview.redd.it/x6...bp&s=3f16ef04fe0ebb7206a2a860acf4cc85fa569146
EDIT 2 : I also found that with the short cable it's okay. No need of this adapter anymore. And these cables have thin connectors https://lunashops.aliexpress.com/store/804746?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000061.1.64d27020wwh7LM

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2021 at 12:40 PM Post #1,289 of 1,483
I installed the Aiva pads on my Takstar HF 580 and that's a match made in heaven. No mods necessary IMHO. Total bliss with the E1DA 9038D. Maximum sound for minimum investment. This is a keeper, totally satisfied. I won't look any further for improvements.

Jul 17, 2021 at 3:27 AM Post #1,290 of 1,483
Hi folks. my first post comes with a question about the Powerdac V2.1. As i learned a dedicated adapter (2.5mm 4-pin plug to 3.5mm 3-pin jack) will be supplied. When finally set to unbalanced mode by Android app, it will "transform" itself into a common single-ended DAC-amp. So far-so good... My question is wheter V2.1 *finally* can be connected savely and steadily to integrated or power amplifiers (naturally by 3.5mm to dual RCA adapter)?
I'm curious to find out whether with V2.1 the device might play out it's benefits in a home setup, too. Due to the grounding issue, with previous versions that wasn't possible by default configuration. - Maybe technical limitations still apply, I just don't know. What do you think?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back