E1DA DACs Discussion Thread (PDV2, 9038S, 9038D, 9038X, HiFiToy, HPToy)
May 30, 2021 at 12:33 PM Post #1,262 of 1,482
You might try joining their Discord and chatting there. If there's a way for Foobar to recognize the E1DA they will be able to tell you.
Thanks. Do you have a link for me where I can tell about my problems?

May 30, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #1,264 of 1,482
It works great with the HiByMusic player but I don't like the UI. I'm used to Foobar and it worked great in USB mode with my FiiO Andes DAC/amp. The E1DA doesn't. Foobar doesn't recognize it. Which player do you recommend that has as many options as Foobar and recognizes the E1DA as a DAC/amp? Thank you.

I'd recommend USB Audio Player Pro, in my opinion it's the best out there for usb dacs with hardware volume control. It even controls the hw volume with your phone's buttons and remembers it after unplugging.

May 30, 2021 at 7:06 PM Post #1,265 of 1,482
I'd recommend USB Audio Player Pro, in my opinion it's the best out there for usb dacs with hardware volume control. It even controls the hw volume with your phone's buttons and remembers it after unplugging.
Thanks. I'll try it. But I'm still surprised that Foobar doesn't work and Hiby crashes all the time.

Jun 11, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #1,266 of 1,482
Thanks. I'll try it. But I'm still surprised that Foobar doesn't work and Hiby crashes all the time.
I bought the Neutron Player and am satisfied. Still waiting for the Foobar people to answer my posts, though.

Jun 12, 2021 at 2:46 AM Post #1,269 of 1,482
I bought the e1da 9038 based on the good reviews, and while it is a clean dac/amp i feel like the sound doesn't have any depth or layering..Is this a thing regarding ESS dac's or is it just this one?
What are you plugging into it, I personally like the sound out of this thing, but perhaps its just not your thing which is why whenever possible at all its better to listen before purchase. I suppose you could always sell it for close to what you paid for it though.

BTW I'm using Beyerdynamic Xelento right now with mine.

Jun 12, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #1,270 of 1,482
What are you plugging into it, I personally like the sound out of this thing, but perhaps its just not your thing which is why whenever possible at all its better to listen before purchase. I suppose you could always sell it for close to what you paid for it though.

BTW I'm using Beyerdynamic Xelento right now with mine.
Using it on my android phone and my mac m1 mac, it does sound a bit different when plugged into each one, but the 1 dimensional sound (just left-right) is always there on either one..you are right, i should sell it, but i wanted to know if all ESS dac's are like this (The AKM dac's i've tried all sound more 3d). Thanks

Jun 12, 2021 at 3:13 AM Post #1,271 of 1,482
Using it on my android phone and my mac m1 mac, it does sound a bit different when plugged into each one, but the 1 dimensional sound (just left-right) is always there on either one..you are right, i should sell it, but i wanted to know if all ESS dac's are like this (The AKM dac's i've tried all sound more 3d). Thanks
The source will make no difference all things being equal.

To me while there may be subtle differences between DAC's and some absolutely have that wow factor when moving from one to the other after a bit of time with one or another I get "used" to the signature and notice its particular strengths so perhaps give you ears/brain some time to adjust before selling it.

Jun 12, 2021 at 3:34 AM Post #1,272 of 1,482
Try setting the master clock to 25 or 50 MHz, the default is trying for minimum distortion at the expense of dynamic range. Switch to minimum phase fast filter as well for a bit more note definition.

What specifically are you comparing it to?
Sometimes it's just a mood thing as well.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #1,273 of 1,482
Try setting the master clock to 25 or 50 MHz, the default is trying for minimum distortion at the expense of dynamic range. Switch to minimum phase fast filter as well for a bit more note definition.

What specifically are you comparing it to?
Sometimes it's just a mood thing as well.
Ok, so i'm now using this contraption, and it definitely sounds better and more 3d, i will try to change the mck firmware but the volume will be too loud as i limit it with the android app. At least this gives me hope and i will try to optimize the cables..maybe use a Y Cable or something on my android. I am used to my Zoom UAC2 sound card which has a AKM 4396 dac (i know people will bash it for being a sound card but it sounds really good to my ears) and a THX 789 Amp. I use Tri I3 Iems, heart mirror iems, AKG K712 pro headphones.Thanks a lot everyone

Attachments

• 199033101_310357810728831_1835225326594634980_n.jpg
    199033101_310357810728831_1835225326594634980_n.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back