E11, a new start of FiiO's portable amp ( added some real photo )
Jul 11, 2011 at 4:32 AM Post #1,158 of 1,326

Quote:
Uhm, I don't mean that they need more power, but that I'm quite disappointed because I expected more
smily_headphones1.gif

For example, with my fuze V1 rockboxed and my re262 the gain in volume is acceptable but not so significant. If you have a colorfly, surely more powerful than my poor sansa, It's obvious that the output will be more efficient
smily_headphones1.gif

About the clip, a bit more efficient than the fuze, what volume do you set on the player? This is much important, I did my test at -6. I will run the same test with my clip+ soon
tongue.gif

Not too sure what u meant by the gain in volume is acceptable.
on my rockbox fuze v2 i listen to them about 75% to 80% paired with my gr07.
however when paired with the e11 via lineout anything more then 3.5(high gain high power) i would go deaf. 

Jul 11, 2011 at 4:33 AM Post #1,159 of 1,326

Quote:
Uhm, I don't mean that they need more power, but that I'm quite disappointed because I expected more
smily_headphones1.gif

For example, with my fuze V1 rockboxed and my re262 the gain in volume is acceptable but not so significant. If you have a colorfly, surely more powerful than my poor sansa, It's obvious that the output will be more efficient
smily_headphones1.gif

About the clip, a bit more efficient than the fuze, what volume do you set on the player? This is much important, I did my test at -6. I will run the same test with my clip+ soon
tongue.gif

I'm a little bit confused here. You are disappointed because of gain (i.e. resulting volume) of E11+262 or its sound quality? If the latter is obviously a subject to one's own taste and preference - though I do like E11 signature and EQ - the volume is simply more that enough for 262 and, I presume, some high impedance cans as well. I have a rockboxed clip and set the volume at 0 dB. General rule seems to be that you need to set maximum non-clipping volume on your DAP (if it has no dedicated line-out) and then adjust the rest via amp. I do not know what is the true maximum volume of rockboxed clip and 0 dB was just a guess. Btw, I was using high voltage and low(!) gain mode and it was still nearly impossible to listen at volumes beyond 4. Could it be that your audio files have low volume themselves? Some of vinyl rips I tried were very quiet and needed a ton of boosting - but these are rare cases.

Jul 11, 2011 at 5:11 AM Post #1,160 of 1,326
I'm a little bit confused here. You are disappointed because of gain (i.e. resulting volume) of E11+262 or its sound quality? If the latter is obviously a subject to one's own taste and preference - though I do like E11 signature and EQ - the volume is simply more that enough for 262 and, I presume, some high impedance cans as well. I have a rockboxed clip and set the volume at 0 dB. General rule seems to be that you need to set maximum non-clipping volume on your DAP (if it has no dedicated line-out) and then adjust the rest via amp. I do not know what is the true maximum volume of rockboxed clip and 0 dB was just a guess. Btw, I was using high voltage and low(!) gain mode and it was still nearly impossible to listen at volumes beyond 4. Could it be that your audio files have low volume themselves? Some of vinyl rips I tried were very quiet and needed a ton of boosting - but these are rare cases.

I like the sound quality, like I've written before :D
But to be honest i never put my mp3 player at maximum volume when using a little amp, simply because I use them to save battery life of fuze/clip and so on. The maximum volume on clip is "0", then is a feature of rockbox and you can go further.
The point is: I expected much power after reading specs (300 ohm headphones) and I have mine set on high power and high gain :p. I Don't dislike it, I've spoken very well in italy but, again, I wanted something more (and of course, i'm not disappointed about the fact that is impossible to drive my beyer, cause i know it will be a miracle :D).

Jul 11, 2011 at 6:26 AM Post #1,161 of 1,326
That's weird it should drive ur beyer fine. Is your fuze using a lineout? anyway u the fiio e11 will run out of juice b4 the clip or fuze, so i think u should be that concern with the battery life of the clip/fuze, my fuze run easily over 24hrs using lineout. I m thinking that u have set the power on your players way too low hence the low volume when used with e11.

Jul 11, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #1,163 of 1,326
That's weird it should drive ur beyer fine. Is your fuze using a lineout? anyway u the fiio e11 will run out of juice b4 the clip or fuze, so i think u should be that concern with the battery life of the clip/fuze, my fuze run easily over 24hrs using lineout. I m thinking that u have set the power on your players way too low hence the low volume when used with e11.

I've tested Fiio E11 only for curiosity, because I still use the little hippo box with my re262 :D
I always compare mini amp with my players set not at maximum volume, as a standard you know.

Well, is there a considerable difference in battery life of fuze/clip between -6 and 0 dB when amped? Never really tested myself

Well, my little clip+ lasts about 13-14 hours with ogg q9.5 while the fuze about 10 with RE252; when using them at maximum volume (with re0 o RE262 without an amp) the battery life is reduced. :p

Jul 11, 2011 at 9:12 PM Post #1,164 of 1,326
But it will should last longer without the IEM load and the E11s 5k input impedance (much less current draw) so using an appropriate volume setting on your fuze will not run it down as you expect.  The E11 has plenty of power for even things like beyer DT 931s which need some juice and enough of the part you're having issue with, gain, to drive almost anything from a line out which is how these things are designed. Phone out can play even louder unless you turn the volume way down as you're doing.

Jul 12, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #1,165 of 1,326

Quote:
How does this amp compare to fiio e7, ibasso d2+, and Little Dot i+?
(If all were same price, which would be the best to buy?)

This depends on what sound you are looking for. I ahve not heard the LD i+ but have all the other three.

The E11 is the darkest. Bass boost, gain switches, lots of power
E7 is dark but with wider soudnstage and DAC, various bass boost options, E9 dock.
D2+ is quite bright and has DAC, most clear-sounding of the bunch.

Of all three, the E11 is the worst buy, even at its cheaper price. If all three are the same price, the E11 isn't even in the running. Its only distinguishing feature is the oodles of power it has. Other than that, it is clearly the worst sounding of the three.

The E7 has the most utility of all these options, with its E9 docking ability, dual headphone out, 4-step bass boost and DAC. SQ is far better than the E11 but lacks gain to drive the harder to drive cans.
D2+ has more gain than the E7 but less than the E11, bright clear sound, DAC option.

Overall if you want bright sound, get D2+. Dark, get E7. If you plan to use it as a DAC, the E7 is better than the D2+ as you can upgrade with E9 in time (both though use the same DAC chip).
But hey the E9 is cheaper than the D2+ haha. actually you can get both the E7 and the E9 for just a little over the price as the D2+ alone.

Jul 12, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #1,167 of 1,326

Quote:
Of all three, the E11 is the worst buy, even at its cheaper price. If all three are the same price, the E11 isn't even in the running. Its only distinguishing feature is the oodles of power it has. Other than that, it is clearly the worst sounding of the three.

I personally hold an opposite opinion and find E11 to be better sounding than E7.

Jul 12, 2011 at 5:04 AM Post #1,168 of 1,326
You're not alone with that view either.  My preference is definitely for the E11.  The E7 is very good in combo with the E9 though (ie used as DAC only)..

Jul 14, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #1,170 of 1,326
hi, i'm a new user of the E11, its my first amp and i'm happy with my purchase, got some questions though and hope you guys could help me out, thanks in advance

1. there's a slight "thump" (not really loud and troublesome) when i turn on and turn off the amp, i think this is normal but i'm not sure if it will be harmful to my earphones/headphones in the long run, right now i remove my earphones before i turn it off, and turn the amp on before i plug my earphones just to be on the safe side. i'm currently using a senn IE8 and px100-ii

2. with the ipod classic (120gig)+lod+E11 combo, what could be the "ideal" setting on my fiio amp using the senn IE8? i understand that this is a matter of taste and i've also tinkered with my amp, currently using the "low power mode/EQ 0/ high gain", but since i'm relatively new to this kind of stuff, i would love to hear your opinions or suggestions on this setup

thanks in advance guys :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back