E11, a new start of FiiO's portable amp ( added some real photo )
Dec 17, 2010 at 10:03 AM Post #151 of 1,326
Remember I will be here and hear from you! it take me about 8 hours per day in reading any reply about our products! most time is from 8:00PM to 1:00AM because I stll have a lot work to do!

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Dec 17, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #152 of 1,326
Let me state that Head-fi isn't the ultimate voice of all consumers. Head-fi as a whole has fantastic ideas, but just because there are a couple of missing features that certain users want, won't make your products a failure. I'm VERY pleased that Fiio listens so intently to it's consumers here, but you guys have also made some fantastic decisions on your products (especially lately), so I believe Fiio should just run with what they feel will lead them to success.

As for the Fuze having folder browsing, it does. This is my MAIN selling point actually. I will not buy a DAP if it doesn't have folder browsing as it's the way I manage my music library.

Dec 17, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #153 of 1,326
Yes, Head-fi is currently being blocked in China, and not just in Guangdong where I assume James is posting from.  Not sure if they're just momentarily fiddling with the switches or if it's a longer term prospect.

All this Fiio-mania is great news, but I'd like to know if any of these products (E9, E11, A1, DAP...) will ever be officially sold in China?  Don't forget about the folks who bought Meizu docks and such before most people on Head-fi knew Fiio even existed
smile.gif

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #154 of 1,326
Quote:

As for the Fuze having folder browsing, it does. This is my MAIN selling point actually. I will not buy a DAP if it doesn't have folder browsing as it's the way I manage my music library.

Snap. Same with me. No folder browsing, not interested.

But I feel the same way about gapless playback as well.

I think those are my only two absolute demands of a player, everything else is just nice. Oh and drag and drop file transfer (MSC).

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:32 AM Post #155 of 1,326

Quote:
... what the hell do you need rockbox for when they can just code whatever we want directly into it to begin with?  That makes no sense what so ever.  Just ask them to include certain rockbox-esque features instead of literally rocking it and im sure they will. 

Would you prefer to use ROCKBOX instead of what Fiio can provide for us, as they've proven they want to make us happy and will fix things much faster than the guys at rockbox ever will.  

You ask why, read here and as fixing things faster, you haven't a clue of what you speak of, name one main stream company that fixes bugs faster than the rockbox team with daily build updates and continues to support products long after the manufacturer has stopped updating firmware or to provide any support.

Quote:
Not that simple. ... ...

Good points, yes I know and understand but think of how much faster a port would happen if there were cooperation from the company ... Even though SanDisk only cooperated once and long ago (around the e200 time) it seems to have stuck as the ports for their products have evolved very quickly and continue to evolve.

Quote:
I have a Sansa Fuze, and have absolutely no reason to Rockbox. NONE. AT ALL. Unless it magically transformed my Fuze into some magical DAP, all I need my Fuze to do is to play music files without some weird crashing or anything that would hinder my enjoyment of said listening to music. Call me a minimalist, but as long as Fiio's UI is intuitive, has folder browsing, and has a general EQ (5 step is all I need), I don't need to trick out my DAP. Sound quality comes first.

Lucky for the rest of us not everyone feels like you ...

Quote:
Quote:
Fiio has proven they listen to us ... ... ...

Not sure why your post sounds so aggressive to me, maybe I'm just imagining it.

I see you have a Clip+. Did you put Rockbox on it? If yes, then you should know that it's rather improbable that the firmware FiiO orders from the manufacturer will have similar functionality as Rockbox. Or just look at Cowon's recent firmwares, or the iPod's - do you really believe a new upstart could come up with something as refined as that? I'm sure FiiO tries to "make their customers happy", as you put it - but come on, have you seen the firmwares of other "independent" players, like the Hifiman, AMP3, s-flo, etc? If the developers of the FiiO DAP firmware could "code whatever they want", they have a hard time reaching the level of maturity and functionality that Rockbox achieved in its over 8 years of constant development and improvements. I'm just being realistic here - I've had enough MP3 players in my time, mainstream and obscure, to dare go out on a limb here.

Furthermore, not sure what you meant by "will fix things much faster than the guys at Rockbox ever will" - what do you need "fixed" in Rockbox? That's besides the point that Rockbox is a really fast moving project, and I know of no official firmware manufacturer that is even remotely close to fixing issues as fast as the Rockbox developers.

Really not sure where your unfounded hostility towards this open source project comes from. But yeah, it appears that there will be no Rockbox for this player - the manufacturer is not interested in it, and I doubt it will be a widely enough used player to reach the interest of independent Rockbox developers any time soon.

Great reply, worth the quote and reprint ...

Quote:

... ... its butt ugly.  Im really tired of having to mod or hack my media players just to make them better and possibly brick them or void my warranty just to do so.  Its really dumb.  I found rockbox only to be worth it for the EQ and nothing more.  The look and feel of it sucks ... 

Fiio will do the same if they made their own, they will use great features and Im really hoping they will do a great enough job in that we dont have to hack their product just to get it working the way we want it
:)

One mans opinon about your "ugly" comment, you don't know what your talking about as there are numerous themes for people that want a different look. With manufacture support there wouldn't be the need to hack and as far as nothing beyond EQ, you really are missing the advantages ... crossfeed, over 20 sound codecs, gapless playback, advanced crossfading, ReplayGain support, album art, text file viewing, mpeg video, many plugins and the list goes on ...

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:35 AM Post #156 of 1,326

Quote:
Quote:

Snap. Same with me. No folder browsing, not interested.

+1, no folder browsing and i just wouldn't buy it.

Dec 17, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #157 of 1,326
Its still ugly

edit: also, the audiophiles and head fi users are not the only people who purchase mp3 players.  If fiio wants to make an audiophile media player, thats great.  Rockbox is very complicated, that will sway a lot of normal people from using it.  Test it out, give it to a family member or friend who doesnt really know much about media players or audio and see if they prefer an ipod or a rockboxed sansa clip

Dec 17, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #158 of 1,326

Quote:

... edit: also, the audiophiles and head fi users are not the only people who purchase mp3 players.  If fiio wants to make an audiophile media player, thats great.  Rockbox is very complicated, that will sway a lot of normal people from using it.  Test it out, give it to a family member or friend who doesnt really know much about media players or audio and see if they prefer an ipod or a rockboxed sansa clip

[size=10pt]ROFLMAO ... neither I nor our boys are audiophiles, we love the music and the available tweaks within rockbox. I did just as you suggest a few years back and both the boys started using rockbox before the Clip V1 release. One at the age of 7 and the older one at 9, neither has bricked their player and both have become adept at many of the features … btw other than prior owning an ipod that was gifted to them and a zen stone neither had any real practical experience, dam I'm glad I'm not as close minded as you as they both have truely impressed me ...[/size]

[size=10pt]Applogies to the others for off topic, thanks for the feedback and the open mind feiao, hope the new products turn out great ^_^[/size]

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:21 PM Post #159 of 1,326
Correct me if I'm wrong but Rockbox is 3rd party firmware that has never been natively supported by players correct?

If that's the case:

1) Why should FiiO be the first to natively implement it when they can develop their own?

2) What's stopping people at Rockbox from developing firmware for FiiO just like any other player they're developed for?

My point is FiiO is very capable of making their own stuff and I would like to see what they come up with. If people aren't satisfied with it they can develop/download Rockbox for it and do away with it.

This way both sides of the argument is covered. No?

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #160 of 1,326

Quote:
Originally Posted by feiao /img/forum/go_quote.gif

To dfkt: will you help me explain how we can use rockbox in our DAP , and send mail to market@fiio.com;

Thanks for the kind offer, Feiao. I will mail you, certainly looks to be a more reasonable way to communicate than in this distracting atmosphere here.

By the way, not sure you noticed I gave you some front page space, a few days ago. :wink: - http://anythingbutipod.com/2010/12/fiio-e11-headphone-amp-rather-fetching/

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #161 of 1,326

Quote:
Rockbox is very complicated, that will sway a lot of normal people from using it.  Test it out, give it to a family member or friend who doesnt really know much about media players or audio and see if they prefer an ipod or a rockboxed sansa clip

Really? This is your argument when we're talking about a device that is going to be marketed to the same people who purchase portable amps? At least think before you post, wow. Fiio's target market will no doubt be the more educated of portable audio users and not the vast majority of the market that just goes to Best Buy and purchases whatever is pretty or popular thus i see your point of view as quite flawed.

There is a reason iPods are the most popular DAP and it's strictly because of their easy of use(and saturated marketing), not their sonic enhancement or feature rich design. If Fiio is going to be making a DAP i really can't see them wasting their time making a dumbed  down for the masses, user friendly over feature rich product as that market is already quite saturated.

I'm surprised that you lack the ability to use Rockbox when young children have no problem at all using it, perhaps it's your problem and not a Rockbox issue.

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #162 of 1,326

Quote:

Quote:

... edit: also, the audiophiles and head fi users are not the only people who purchase mp3 players.  If fiio wants to make an audiophile media player, thats great.  Rockbox is very complicated, that will sway a lot of normal people from using it.  Test it out, give it to a family member or friend who doesnt really know much about media players or audio and see if they prefer an ipod or a rockboxed sansa clip

[size=10pt]ROFLMAO ... neither I nor our boys are audiophiles, we love the music and the available tweaks within rockbox. I did just as you suggest a few years back and both the boys started using rockbox before the Clip V1 release. One at the age of 7 and the older one at 9, neither has bricked their player and both have become adept at many of the features … btw other than prior owning an ipod that was gifted to them and a zen stone neither had any real practical experience, dam I'm glad I'm not as close minded as you as they both have truely impressed me ...[/size]

[size=10pt]Applogies to the others for off topic, thanks for the feedback and the open mind feiao, hope the new products turn out great ^_^[/size]

Closed minded?  I am thinking from a business perspective and you are thinking only for audiophiles and special cases in that your boys prefer something complex over something simple.  The rest of the world doesn't share your views.  That is not how the general public will view it.  There is almost no chance normal people will enjoy a complex looking menu setup with all those things put on it that they wont even use.  Normal people dont use that stuff nor care for it.  Give them a playlist and some EQ settings and you are good to go.  Ask Fiio to make a special media player aimed at audiophiles if you want rockbox on it.  The only close minded view here is yours, sadly.  Thats bad business and something no company would want to do.  Fiio is perfectly capable of making their own awesome firmware.

Dec 17, 2010 at 3:53 PM Post #163 of 1,326

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Closed minded?  I am thinking from a business perspective and you are thinking only for audiophiles and special cases in that your boys prefer something complex over something simple.  The rest of the world doesn't share your views.  That is not how the general public will view it.  There is almost no chance normal people will enjoy a complex looking menu setup with all those things put on it that they wont even use.  Normal people dont use that stuff nor care for it.  Give them a playlist and some EQ settings and you are good to go.  Ask Fiio to make a special media player aimed at audiophiles if you want rockbox on it.  The only close minded view here is yours, sadly.  Thats bad business and something no company would want to do.  Fiio is perfectly capable of making their own awesome firmware.

Quote:
Quote:
Rockbox is very complicated, that will sway a lot of normal people from using it.  Test it out, give it to a family member or friend who doesnt really know much about media players or audio and see if they prefer an ipod or a rockboxed sansa clip

Really? This is your argument when we're talking about a device that is going to be marketed to the same people who purchase portable amps? At least think before you post, wow. Fiio's target market will no doubt be the more educated of portable audio users and not the vast majority of the market that just goes to Best Buy and purchases whatever is pretty or popular thus i see your point of view as quite flawed.

I highly doubt fiio wants to aim their product only at the smallest possible community of potential buyers.

There is a reason iPods are the most popular DAP and it's strictly because of their easy of use(and saturated marketing), not their sonic enhancement or feature rich design. If Fiio is going to be making a DAP i really can't see them wasting their time making a dumbed  down for the masses, user friendly over feature rich product as that market is already quite saturated.

Dumbed down and not using rockbox aren't the same

I'm surprised that you lack the ability to use Rockbox when young children have no problem at all using it, perhaps it's your problem and not a Rockbox issue.

I'm surprised you assumed that I was unable to use it.  If Fiio wants to aim their product at a very small % instead of making it look nice and easy to use so it appeals to a lot more people, then thats is their choice and you people pushing them to use rockbox needs to stop.  Perhaps, it's your problem that you can't think like a businessman and just want the most amazing super awesome ultra giga player imaginable in this potential new Fiio media player, wake up.   

Dec 17, 2010 at 4:17 PM Post #164 of 1,326
Honestly you didn't address anything with your recent posts thus i will just tell you to re-read what i posted because all i would do is say the same thing again.

The fact that you think Fiio has the ability to aim their product to a large percent of the market only shows your ignorance. When you take into consideration companies like Sony and Sandisk only have themselves 8-10% of the total market each and are multimillion dollar corporations with reaches in both local and foreign markets how can you expect Fiio to be able to have the marketing and financial abilities to compete with them?

Fiio is a niche company who makes great products for a much more specialized market and suggesting they ignore that market to make a drab, simple, and retard friendly player for the masses whos hands they can't get their player into is just completely preposterous.

As i said, think before you post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back