E11, a new start of FiiO's portable amp ( added some real photo )
Aug 7, 2011 at 2:15 PM Post #1,246 of 1,326

Quote:
The E5 is still good, just pairing it with bigger sources is not a good idea, anything small and compact + E5 is a good combination without breaking the bank.

I have to agree for the money the e5 is pretty good. Using it through a line out doc is best and will maximize your sound quality output. using it with the headphone out is less than savory.

Aug 9, 2011 at 10:45 PM Post #1,247 of 1,326
Checking back in after five weeks away on a boat on the Baltic with nothing except my RE-ZERO, MS-1 and E11 for company. I also tried them with the shiny new pair of HD 25-1 IIs I picked up in København. Still very happy with the little amp in general, and my original thoughts still stand. The battery life is perfectly adequate and the sound is solid, but still not the best I've heard. After my review I've just left the unit in high power mode, low gain for the most part. I can't stand the looser, more bloated sound you get on low power but yet find no audible differences between gains.
As for volume, I've never had to go beyond 3/8 with ANY headphones in any situation (16-70ohm) and mostly stick around the 2/8 mark. I honestly don't know how some people still have any eardrums left at all. The amp hasn't been damaged or even marked despite some pretty rough treatment and daily use. I don't tend to use the EQ much at all becuase I'm some kind of purist, and though I do like EQ1 on some songs I've yet to find a time to use EQ2 that isn't acutely offensive to my ears.
Still worth the £45 I spent, not including the fact that it gave me an excuse to write a review for something instead of revising for A-levels.

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:32 AM Post #1,248 of 1,326

Quote:
I just got my E11 today.  It is a very impressive little amp.  It did feel a little plasticy compared to my Practical Devices XM4, but I also paid 3x as much for the XM4.

How does it sound compared to the XM4? Or any other practical devices for those who've heard both?

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:06 AM Post #1,249 of 1,326

Quote:
How does it sound compared to the XM4? Or any other practical devices for those who've heard both?

XM3 / XM4 are quite outdated by today's standard. Listen to my old XM3 with OPA8066, and it sounds compressed compared to E11.

Aug 10, 2011 at 1:45 PM Post #1,251 of 1,326

Quote:
XM3 / XM4 are quite outdated by today's standard. Listen to my old XM3 with OPA8066, and it sounds compressed compared to E11.

The thing is, i have an XM6, and it sounds great. But I'm thinking of downgrading to an E11 because I need the money right now. So what I SHOULD be asking is how the E11 compares to XM6.

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #1,252 of 1,326
i can confirm that the e11 makes the shure srh940s one hell of a pair of headphones for $299. just sharing this since i was asking this a week ago and others may want to know.

and yes it feels like it doesnt add any coloration at all. 

Aug 12, 2011 at 6:00 AM Post #1,255 of 1,326

Quote:
will the FiiO E11 work well with the Sennheiser HD448? or it will not make any difference?

What kind of difference are you expecting? 

If you want more bass, you could modify the HD448s.

Amplifying isn't going to magically boost the bass.

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:43 AM Post #1,257 of 1,326

Quote:
will the FiiO E11 work well with the Sennheiser HD448? or it will not make any difference?

If you want to get E11 to boost 448's bass then i am afraid it will probably distort the sound at higher volumes...
You should get another headphone if you like bass...
If you just want to make 448 louder then it should be o.k but do not expect any differences in sound..
This cans won't benefit from amplification in terms of sound quality..

Aug 15, 2011 at 2:02 AM Post #1,259 of 1,326

Quote:
If you want to get E11 to boost 448's bass then i am afraid it will probably distort the sound at higher volumes...
You should get another headphone if you like bass...
If you just want to make 448 louder then it should be o.k but do not expect any differences in sound..
This cans won't benefit from amplification in terms of sound quality..

Received my E11 today, and I can confirm that if you have the gain on High and Equaliser set to preset 2, on my IE7's the bass becomes a bit too overpowering but nowhere near distortion. A/b'd the HD448 just now against my 438 stock without the E11, if you use Gain on Low and Equaliser Preset 2, the sound is quite good and punchy quite similar to the stock HD438's (mine are completely modded to another level) or you can use the High gain for bit of a boost in overall frequencies which increases the soundstage quite a bit but with a recommended Equaliser preset of 0 or 1 (max on 2 or 1 for some songs and you lose control of the bass and overwhelmes the rest of the sound).

For $75 that I paid for my E11 is pretty good value for such a portable amp and its sound aspects (very surprised when I received it earlier today due to the size), but it nowhere near compares to performance that of my Graham Slee Voyager or my other two DIY tube amps (including a modified 12AU7 tube amp off ebay), going to leave these on for the night out of my Droid X letting it burn-in, hoping my friend doesn't break anything of my Zune combo I let her borrow while she is on a little vacation with it 
cool.gif

Aug 15, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #1,260 of 1,326

Your making me jealous talking about tube amps :wink:. I've been drooling over them as I really do love the warm laid back signature. Never heard a tube amp though.
Quote:
Received my E11 today, and I can confirm that if you have the gain on High and Equaliser set to preset 2, on my IE7's the bass becomes a bit too overpowering but nowhere near distortion. A/b'd the HD448 just now against my 438 stock without the E11, if you use Gain on Low and Equaliser Preset 2, the sound is quite good and punchy quite similar to the stock HD438's (mine are completely modded to another level) or you can use the High gain for bit of a boost in overall frequencies which increases the soundstage quite a bit but with a recommended Equaliser preset of 0 or 1 (max on 2 or 1 for some songs and you lose control of the bass and overwhelmes the rest of the sound).

For $75 that I paid for my E11 is pretty good value for such a portable amp and it sound(surprised when I received it earlier today due to the size), but it nowhere near compares to my Graham Slee Voyager or my other two DIY tube amps (including a modified 12AU7 tube amp off ebay), going to leave these on for the night out of my Droid X letting it burn-in, hoping my friend doesn't break anything of my Zune combo I let her borrow while she is on a little vacation with it 
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back